Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Will Slash's success motivate Axl?

• Please log in to reply
235 replies to this topic

ironmt

ironmt

Senior

• SILVER
  • 605 posts
  • 04-June 05
I would have to say that Axl has the slight advantage being that he still carries the Guns N Roses name. Let him go out and tour as Axl Rose just as Slash does and you can believe he would be playing nothing but up close and personal tours for the rest of his career, actually as sad as It Is, It won't be long and this situation will be a reality In the U.S. even using the Guns N Roses name. By the way Msl can you provide any proof whatsoever that Guns N Roses grossed 2,000,000 on any one show on there last North American Tour. I find It hard to believe but I could be wrong.
Damn_Smooth ( At the moment, I would say I am a bigger fan of MSL. He has provided me with much more entertainment over the last year than Guns has). Msl was also entertained when he used your chin as a place to rest his ball sack.

downzy

downzy

OH MY GOD

• MOD SQUAD
  • 4,154 posts
  • 18-February 06

I would have to say that Axl has the slight advantage being that he still carries the Guns N Roses name. Let him go out and tour as Axl Rose just as Slash does and you can believe he would be playing nothing but up close and personal tours for the rest of his career, actually as sad as It Is, It won't be long and this situation will be a reality In the U.S. even using the Guns N Roses name. By the way Msl can you provide any proof whatsoever that Guns N Roses grossed 2,000,000 on any one show on there last North American Tour. I find It hard to believe but I could be wrong.

I remember reading in Blender magazine about a decade ago how much money Metallica made for selling out Madison Square Garden. I believe after costs and expenses the take home pay for the entire band was around $480k. Which figures to be around $120k per band member, minus management fees and whatnot. That was a decade ago so I'm not sure how applicable that would be today

According to this source GNR made $$1,357,820 for their 02 Arena show in London last month. They sold just under 19k tickets. So I can't see them breaking the 2 million mark unless it's a rather large festival a la Rock N' Rio. They certainly did not hit anywhere near this sales level in their 2011 fall North American tour.

As for the thread topic, I severely doubt this will motivate Axl to do anything other than he's already doing. I would suspect that Axl considers the artistic merit of Slash's output more so than actual sales numbers. Since Axl doesn't see much worth in Slash's output, he likely does not care about stuff like the star on the walk of fame and whatnot.

Cheers,

Andrew

ironmt

ironmt

Senior

• SILVER
  • 605 posts
  • 04-June 05
Good Information downzy.
Damn_Smooth ( At the moment, I would say I am a bigger fan of MSL. He has provided me with much more entertainment over the last year than Guns has). Msl was also entertained when he used your chin as a place to rest his ball sack.

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,979 posts
  • 09-March 08
i really think some people on these forums obsess over the slash/axl relationship more than axl/slash probably do

Edited by bran, 12 July 2012 - 08:10 PM.

insomnium_zps2978907e.jpg

"We're nothing more than shadows

Glimmers of hope against the black sky"

ironmt

ironmt

Senior

• SILVER
  • 605 posts
  • 04-June 05
Who would these people be.

deepfreeze

deepfreeze

Senior

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 797 posts
  • 08-October 10
Considering the quiet years after Contraband, I think it would have the opposite effect.

Jeez

Jeez

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • 29-March 12
Axl > Sheen

GN'R - 2010 Oslo / 2012 London

Slash with friends - 2009 Quart Festival / Slash 2013 Oslo

FuddMckagan

FuddMckagan

Destroyer of Worlds

• SILVER
  • 4,983 posts
  • 15-December 08
I don't think much motivates Axl these days

TeeJay410

TeeJay410

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts
  • 13-March 06
I sincerely doubt Axl personally makes boatloads of money every show after paying band members, road crew, taking care of team brazil, curfew fines, accomodations, etc. etc. He surely makes enough to get by and to continue living the life he lives, but he's not exactly making Kanye/Jay-z tour money here.

Slash tours on a bus, only has four other band members, likely doesn't have nearly as many non band member people to pay as gn'r, he probably gets to keep a good amount of his made from crowds of 2,000 - 3,000. As far as europe and south america goes, guns prolly make a lot more. But in america, I'd bet (no msl, it's a figure of speech) slash doesn't make much less than axl per show personally.

Posted Image
Now fully aligned with those who must not be named.

Jeez

Jeez

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • 29-March 12
I think Axl makes more money from every show than we think. How much was his stolen jewelry worth again? I think Ashba earns about the same as Slash.
By the way, does Slash and the others still earn money from Appetite/Lies/UYI sales?

Edited by Jeez, 12 July 2012 - 08:37 PM.

TeeJay410

TeeJay410

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,085 posts
  • 13-March 06

I think Axl makes more money from every show than we think. How much was his stolen jewelry worth again? I think Ashba earns about the same as Slash.
By the way, does Slash and the others still earn money from Appetite/Lies/UYI sales?

As far as I know, everyone does but adler. His rights were bought out by guns when he was fired.

Posted Image
Now fully aligned with those who must not be named.

shotgunblues1978

shotgunblues1978

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • 21-August 08
When you mention Slash's success, are you talking about the "award" that he paid $30,000 to receive (Walk of Fame), the album he just released that will struggle to hit 100,000 copies sold in the US (currently sits at 81,000 copies sold, and is out of the Billboard Top 100), or the tour where he's failing to sell out 2,500 seat venues each night despite charging $35 a ticket? Please clarify. Thanks.

shotgunblues1978

shotgunblues1978

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,720 posts
  • 21-August 08

I sincerely doubt Axl personally makes boatloads of money every show after paying band members, road crew, taking care of team brazil, curfew fines, accomodations, etc. etc. He surely makes enough to get by and to continue living the life he lives, but he's not exactly making Kanye/Jay-z tour money here.

Slash tours on a bus, only has four other band members, likely doesn't have nearly as many non band member people to pay as gn'r, he probably gets to keep a good amount of his made from crowds of 2,000 - 3,000. As far as europe and south america goes, guns prolly make a lot more. But in america, I'd bet (no msl, it's a figure of speech) slash doesn't make much less than axl per show personally.

Typically, in the modern era of touring acts like GnR get a guaranteed fee with a percentage of profits after the promoter breaks even. In the US, I would imagine that GnR gets $300-500K to show up, depending on venue, and potentially more if the show does well. Back in the day, it used to be the band only made money after the show turned a profit but not so much anymore. Touring is the one area of the music biz where artists have the upper hand. With record sales, they still typically don't get paid until the label makes their money back.

Edited by shotgunblues1978, 12 July 2012 - 09:02 PM.

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,979 posts
  • 09-March 08

Typically, in the modern era of touring acts like GnR get a guaranteed fee with a percentage of profits after the promoter breaks even. In the US, I would imagine that GnR gets $300-500K to show up, depending on venue, and potentially more if the show does well. Back in the day, it used to be the band only made money after the show turned a profit but not so much anymore. Touring is the one area of the music biz where artists have the upper hand. With record sales, they still typically don't get paid until the label makes their money back.

yeah exactly thats why all bands outside the big mainstream acts release albums every 4+ years instead of every year like it was in the 60s-90s when albums were very profitable and tours were costly

im wondering what the music industry is going to be in 10+ years. the reason i buy cds is for the physical copy and to support the bands i love but when it goes all digital it removes the physical copy and the liner notes and artwork, gives more incentive to just download it illegally instead of paying for it

insomnium_zps2978907e.jpg

"We're nothing more than shadows

Glimmers of hope against the black sky"

Jeez

Jeez

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • 29-March 12

When you mention Slash's success, are you talking about the "award" that he paid $30,000 to receive (Walk of Fame), the album he just released that will struggle to hit 100,000 copies sold in the US (currently sits at 81,000 copies sold, and is out of the Billboard Top 100), or the tour where he's failing to sell out 2,500 seat venues each night despite charging $35 a ticket? Please clarify. Thanks.

Sources please? Last time I checked tickets were sold out (VIP tickets as well) and the price was $65.
You're a lie single is doing good on billboard charts for rock songs.

Please clarify. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users