Will Slash's success motivate Axl?

LoadedNightraiN

hahahah you say he has money & success mixed up, but then the FIRST thing you list is how many albums he's sold . . .

lol

meaning a lot of people are interested in listening to his music...

that's success. how much money made from those albums wasn't mentioned...

Much like when the illusion albums came out Duff suggested that one friend could buy UYI1 and another buy UYI2 and dub the tapes and exchange them. He liked the idea of people enjoying the music and wanting to get their hands on it and listen to it, not just the profit that could be made from it. That's success - lots of people wanting to hear your music. So Slash should be proud of this success. Thousands of people right now are air guitaring to the SCOM into which he wrote. That's got to feel pretty good and he doesn't earn a cent to get that good feeling

Edited by rydog

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

meaning a lot of people are interested in listening to his music...

that's success. how much money made from those albums wasn't mentioned...

if so many people are interested in his music, if he's so successful, why did his solo record only sell 235k domestic and why is the new one only going to sell around 100k?

Let's not get into the dwindling album sales conversation... it would be awful if I had to bring up the dollar stores that received large quantities of a certain album when they wouldn't sell for more than $1.99

Charlie was out of line. He should have talked about Slash's accomplishments.

Without Axl, Slash would have not done enough on his own to get that star. Axl's voice and melodies brought the best out of Slash. He could have talked about how big GNR was and what Slash meant to him as far as his image and sound and guitar playing and how good the music they made together was at that time. Bashing Axl only made Charlie look like an Ass. Charlie is only mad because there is not some kind of reunion. He does not know all the details.

Agreed, it was not necessary and despite the fact thats its a fairly harmless comment it certainly does not help in improving the situation between Axl and Slash.

It would be nice to see Slash in an inevitable press release on the 'star' mention how thankful he is to his old bandmates, especially Axl for helping him reach the top; in the process he'd separate himself from the remarks made by Charlie.

Again, it's an insult to Slash and a backhanded compliment to Axl that people feel Slash's relevance is enhanced by dissing Axl. I love Slash, he's an amazing guitarist and he can stand on his own. I guarantee he is starting to get annoyed when people invoke Axl thinking it legitimizes Slash when he is already legit.

As far as Charlie owning Axl, I know it's a cupcake thread but simply put, Charlie's business plan of converting his cash into powder and storing it in his nose is not sustainable. We'll see who is sleeping on the street or in the ground first. The high profile drug addict or the perfectionist recluse.

First off I didn't start this thread intending to cupcake, I truly want something to get Axl in gear to release new music... I'm sure this summer tour is a funding effort to get the wheels rolling on that

As far as slash, he talks about Axl in 98% of his interviews, so kinda brings it on himself

I'm going to the Québec show july 29. All tickets were 60$. The show originaly was going to be at the salle Albert-Rousseau, a venue of 1300 seats. Due to the high demand they changed the venue to the Agora de Québec, a 4000 seats venue. Just saying.

Shotgunblues .....care to comment on this?

Guns would play Le Colisee (a hockey arena)

With that said i'm boycotting the Slash concert in Montreal at the Olympia (lots of tickets left)

Loaded Nightrain -

How are you sure this tour is a funding effort for the next record? What do you base that on? How can you be sure?

Maybe Axl just wanted to do a proper thorough tour once the album was out?

And when the touring for the album is done later this year, maybe he'll take a break and then GNR will return in a year or two with a new record?

I cant be sure, its just something I'm hoping for... We all know the record company wont foot any bill for a new record..

Slash receiving his slab of concrete made news all over media outlets (TMZ, Access Hollywood, CBS morning News, Kimmel, to name a few.. None I regularly watch, but just happen to catch the clip), mostly because of Charlie Sheen's dig at Axl...

Slash has been all over the place lately (even more than normal...) More and more Axl has been made the butt of jokes during these things...

We all know how he feels about Slash, so this can't sit well with him.. The only way he can prove he wont be sleeping on a side walk anytime soon, is to unleash some big guns and blow people away

Question is will he do anything about it? Hate slash more? Or get in the Vault and counter with some new music

who is that man "slash" you are talking about ?

Slash receiving his slab of concrete made news all over media outlets (TMZ, Access Hollywood, CBS morning News, Kimmel, to name a few.. None I regularly watch, but just happen to catch the clip), mostly because of Charlie Sheen's dig at Axl...

Slash has been all over the place lately (even more than normal...) More and more Axl has been made the butt of jokes during these things...

We all know how he feels about Slash, so this can't sit well with him.. The only way he can prove he wont be sleeping on a side walk anytime soon, is to unleash some big guns and blow people away

Question is will he do anything about it? Hate slash more? Or get in the Vault and counter with some new music

who is that man "slash" you are talking about ?

I think that he used to be the janitor.

You're lying. You are 100% completely unequivocally lying. The shows in question had ONE PRICE POINT.

$28.

I would have listed any other price points had they existed.

Dude, just go to ticketmaster and click any seat who's not on the second balcony. The price you get is $59. Remove the fees or whatever you want, and you will still see the price won't be $28.

I haven't said that Slash earns more than GN'R, nor that he is more successfull than GN'R. But it's pathetic how some of you twist facts and make your own to prove it.

image.png

Edited by Jeez

I haven't said that Slash earns more than GN'R, nor that he is more successfull than GN'R. But it's pathetic how some of you twist facts and make your own to prove it.

Nothing new, really. They also like to rewrite history to suit the version in their head. :tongue2:

I think all the talking about who makes more money on a tour is irrelevant, Slash has more money than he will ever need, Axl has more money than he will ever need.

Maybe they just enjoy playing shows to their fans?

So maybe as a fan id rather pay $28 rather than $75

Charlie was out of line. He should have talked about Slash's accomplishments.

Without Axl, Slash would have not done enough on his own to get that star. Axl's voice and melodies brought the best out of Slash. He could have talked about how big GNR was and what Slash meant to him as far as his image and sound and guitar playing and how good the music they made together was at that time. Bashing Axl only made Charlie look like an Ass. Charlie is only mad because there is not some kind of reunion. He does not know all the details.

Slash had to have known what he was in for when he asked Charlie to take part in it, and Sheen being there prob. doubled the amount of people that showed up. I still don't think it's as bad as Charlie going "where's Slash" when he was coming out of a GNR show, esp. if he was there as a guest.

Mls.....again, I say this peacefully, it seems like you are doing what you always complain about others doing.

You are taking the lowest earning Slash show and comparing it to the highest paying GnR show.

Somebody pointed out stats of GnR shows grossing a few hundred thousand dollars.

Bottom line.

Axl and GnR will outdraw Slash.

But it isn't, on average, 2 million compared to 20,000.

How much of that is because of Axl and Slash, compared to music created after Slash left GnR.

I think Axl's solo band would outsell Slash's.

But......if neither guy played old songs, what would the numbers be?

Why can't people just support both musicians?

Having a star is an "award" that is bought and paid for by the "winner." It's a publicity stunt. A ruse. A joke. Everything Axl would avoid and everything Slash would embrace.

Slash is playing shows that struggle to gross $20,000 while Axl is playing shows that are grossing $2,000,000.

Axl jealous? No. Axl laughing all the way to the bank.

Is it really that big of a difference?

At my most recent GnR show, I'd guess there were maybe 5000-6000 people there. If the average ticket price is $75, that comes out to less than $500,000.

I bought a t-shirt for my son from a vendor who was cruising the stadium selling shirts for $20 apiece. We passed on the $8 bottle of water.

GnR is making another 1.5 million dollars.....off of their portion of t-shirt and alcohol sales? Considering the arena must make a profit as well.

So those 5000 people are spending an average of $75 per ticket and then $225 each on merchandise and food? Though for the arena to make money, those figures would be even higher, right? So those 5000 people are spending say $400 each (ticket and food/t-shirts)?

What happened when Axl did his Up Close and Personal Tour - weren't those like 2000 seat places?

And I didn't look up too much of Slash's tour numbers, but you keep throwing out a show with 600 people. I know you would NEVER exaggerate to make your point look better. But 600 people at say $50 each - that's 30,000 - plus merchandise and beer and all that. I looked up the first show of the Slash summer tour and it is at a place that seats 1400 people (before people make fun, remember how much the Nutters gushed at Axl doing small shows, and this place has been played by most of the famous bands you can think of). I would be very surprised if Slash couldn't sell 1000 tickets.....at say $50 a shot......that's 50,000 right there.

Again, not asking to be a smart aleck. Not trying to be cupcake (like popcorn and lolcano - which they both admit to) and not being a bitter angry ex-fan (GnR is my favorite band, by a mile)..........I know you have some experience in the music industry so I'm curious as to how all this stuff works. Hopefully you aren't exaggerating numbers to prove points - that would be beneath you!

So how does that work? How are GnR getting 2 million per show and Slash isn't getting 20,000.....how do those numbers work?

Thanks in advance.

After Axl pay's everybody's overtime for the late start and finish, I bet he barely brakes even - union overtime is expensive

Why the negativity? Slagging Axl and unions? Why do you have a hate on for people who've done well for themselves?

I don't have MSL's talent for numbers :rolleyes: But I know Slash must be able to make ends meet. He leads a rather lavis life style and has created his own movie company. As far as his muscial career this must going well. Because he and Myles are writing the next album. Since Slash funds these albums 100% he must be making money some where.

Loaded Nightrain -

How are you sure this tour is a funding effort for the next record? What do you base that on? How can you be sure?

Maybe Axl just wanted to do a proper thorough tour once the album was out?

And when the touring for the album is done later this year, maybe he'll take a break and then GNR will return in a year or two with a new record?

I cant be sure, its just something I'm hoping for... We all know the record company wont foot any bill for a new record..

According to a few members on the board, Chinese was very successful, so successful In fact, that the record company basically told Axl to go fuck himself, I personally wouldn't know why they wouldn't want to foot the bill for the next album being that the previous release was so successful and went so well.

Why are people even bringing up UCAP? GnR went on that tour as a treat for the fans, so that people could see them in a more intimate setting. Slash is playing the largest venues that he can viably book

It doesn't really matter in the sense that, Slash's tour has done reasonably well in terms of ticket sales, and people seem to be enjoying the shows. That said, when you're not selling out 2,500 person venues and there are plenty of tickets available at $30-40 at many venues, that's not an amazing success that is somehow would put Axl on alert that Slash is some sort of a threat or motivation.

There's nothing wrong with playing smaller venues. But the premise of this thread is incredibly flawed, which is that Slash has had some sort of remarkable success recently that would somehow make Axl jealous. When in reality:

-Slash is playing venues a fraction of the size of the venues that Axl is playing

-Slash is charging substantially less for tickets than Axl charges for arena shows, much less theatre shows

-Slash is playing theatres because he has to, Axl played theatres this year because he wanted to

-Most of Slash's shows are not selling out, despite small venues and plenty of cheap tickets available

-Slash's current album is sitting at roughly 81.5K units sold and out of the Billboard Top 100; it is going to struggle to hit 100K in US sales

-Slash paid $30,000 to have a star on the walk of fame. Congrats? It's nothing more than a publicity stunt/advertisement for himself. This is the type of move Slash would've made fun in his GnR days

Slash is doing fine, but to claim that he's even in the same stratosphere as Axl in terms of "success" in any terms other than avoiding negative publicity is disingenuous. Axl is playing larger venues with more tickets sold at higher prices, and his last album sold more than Slash's last 3 albums combined and in fact, if you combined Slash's two Snakepit albums and Libertad, Slash and Apocalyptic Love, CD sold more than those combined. Contraband is the only successful album Slash has had post-GnR in terms of record sales, and that success was due to far more than just Slash; and CD outsold Contraband worldwide as well despite being released in a record industry far more in decline than it was when Contraband was released.

Edited by shotgunblues1978

Why are people even bringing up UCAP? GnR went on that tour as a treat for the fans, so that people could see them in a more intimate setting. Slash is playing the largest venues that he can viably book

It doesn't really matter in the sense that, Slash's tour has done reasonably well in terms of ticket sales, and people seem to be enjoying the shows. That said, when you're not selling out 2,500 person venues and there are plenty of tickets available at $30-40 at many venues, that's not an amazing success that is somehow would put Axl on alert that Slash is some sort of a threat or motivation.

There's nothing wrong with playing smaller venues. But the premise of this thread is incredibly flawed, which is that Slash has had some sort of remarkable success recently that would somehow make Axl jealous. When in reality:

-Slash is playing venues a fraction of the size of the venues that Axl is playing

-Slash is charging substantially less for tickets than Axl charges for arena shows, much less theatre shows

-Slash is playing theatres because he has to, Axl played theatres this year because he wanted to

-Most of Slash's shows are not selling out, despite small venues and plenty of cheap tickets available

-Slash's current album is sitting at roughly 81.5K units sold and out of the Billboard Top 100; it is going to struggle to hit 100K in US sales

-Slash paid $30,000 to have a star on the walk of fame. Congrats? It's nothing more than a publicity stunt/advertisement for himself. This is the type of move Slash would've made fun in his GnR days

Slash is doing fine, but to claim that he's even in the same stratosphere as Axl in terms of "success" in any terms other than avoiding negative publicity is disingenuous. Axl is playing larger venues with more tickets sold at higher prices, and his last album sold more than Slash's last 3 albums combined and in fact, if you combined Slash's two Snakepit albums and Libertad, Slash and Apocalyptic Love, CD sold more than those combined. Contraband is the only successful album Slash has had post-GnR in terms of record sales, and that success was due to far more than just Slash; and CD outsold Contraband worldwide as well despite being released in a record industry far more in decline than it was when Contraband was released.

What size crowd would Axl be playing to if he was going out as Axl Rose and was not using the GNR name. Do you think Axl could work as hard as Slash has had to work to stay where he is at? Do you think Axl could do the PR, vids, work with other musicans the way Slash has? Do you think he could run his on movie production company and be the CEO of his own record company the Slash is? Do you think he could front all of his music 100% the Slash does.

Axl is playing to less than a forth of what he used to play to when Slash and Duff was with him. And that is using the GNR name.

If there was a VR reunion that would take Slash back to the top. A double album like Stadium Arcadium.

VR is all but dead. Slash is happy doing what he's doing. JMO he will never work in a band dynamic again that does not include Myles.