Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Is being "Gay" the cool thing to do these days?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

ThomasMeadow

ThomasMeadow

dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,212 posts
  • 29-May 04
For starters this isn't a troll thread, however due to the nature of what I'm about to post if the mods want to take it off I won't get butt hurt.

So like 10 to say 17 years ago, there was a HUGE trend of white kids mostly trying to act black. This was when rap was really starting to get noticed in the white subdivisions across the USA. then it got picked up in "white" music like limp brisket and korn just to name a few. So I remember growing up in school you had half the kids trying to act and dress "black" and the other half were Manson kids that would paint their faces and or wear black all the fucking time. Then you had a small % that would listen to punk pop and ska.

however I guess where I grew up it was the kids acting "black" were more noticeable. the "thug" types.

Also in 1998 and 1999 I think , Master P Was HUGE!!!

_

So fast forward to 2012...

_

I haven't really had to deal with any teenagers in like 10 years. But it seems like the new cool thing to do now is be "gay".

I can honestly say I could give two shits if a person is gay or not. Doesn't brother me. However, I'm just wondering where this fade came from? Since they "okay'ed" the right to be gay in the armed forces, I have noticed a lot of females saying they are gay, yet they go back and forth with dudes? Yea I get people are Bi , but with some of these girls , its seems like a act IMO.

I know in the last 10 years I have been out of school I have seen kids (males) dressing like Eminem and Manson, to dressing like girls more or less. seems like long hair is back also.

_

Again, this isn't a attack on anyone, and lets keep the bashing out of here, I was just wondering.
Posted Image

Dazey

Dazey

Redcoat Bastard!

• Supporters
  • 15,540 posts
  • 25-November 02
If I were to hazard a guess I'd say there are no more gay people today than there were back then but society has matured to a greater extent these days. I think for that reason people are more likely to come out than they were back then. Also acceptance in the media means you see more coverage on TV and in the papers etc.

HV's Current Shit-list: Black Sabbath, Broskirose, Skype Crew (except Graeme), Miser, wfse and Dazey. Especially Dazey...

The Sandman

The Sandman

King of Wishful Thinking

• Supporters
  • 25,753 posts
  • 26-September 05
I think people are just able to be more liberal with their sexuality and experiment accordingly. I don't necessarily think it's perceived to be "cool", given the problems LGBT people face (from stigma, to outright hate), but is seen as more socially acceptable and therefore people do not feel they need to hide it as much as they may have done in past.

"Cool" is obviously really subjective, but I agree you do get more people who are willing to identify as bisexual than I had noticed before - but is that symptomatic of the now androgynous nature of fashion?
Posted Image

Guest_Satanisk_Slakt_*

Guest_Satanisk_Slakt_*
  • Guests
  • --
Yeah, it seems like a fair observation of what's going on now.

I guess there's always trends going on. In the early 90's you had half of the kids going around in baggy "grunge clothes", the "hair metal look" a few years earlier, etc.

Trends come and goes.

GET OFF AXLS BACK

GET OFF AXLS BACK

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 15,706 posts
  • 19-March 04
I almost get what you mean ( fuck me that hurt ) but I think you mean are young men more effeminate, no?

You clearly don't pick being gay but you can be more open about not being macho. I also think being female and gay is more ok with people than male and gay.

2qxywb4.jpg

Here's what I know, Rick. If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, you own it. If it doesn't, you don't own it. And if it doesn't you're an asshole, just like you.

ThomasMeadow

ThomasMeadow

dehumanize yourself and face to bloodshed

• Unregistered
  • 7,212 posts
  • 29-May 04
Just to point out, I know you can't pick to be gay or not ...

However , Just because you are gay, doesn't mean you have to act "gay" . Same with black dudes, you don't have to act like a "thug".

that might be a asshole statement, however when I worked retail years ago , I worked with a lot of openly gay people and it seems like the ones that acted like themselves and not a "stereotype" gained a lot more respect. From everyone.

And yea, I have noticed things being more effeminate. That is kinda a catch - 22 these days. It went from having to be a "bad ass", to its okay to cry in like a matter of 15 years (less even).

So now a lot of shit, like with my job, have to be watered down, and its a annoying.

Could you image if AFD came out today? it would be to mean. And Axl would be hung for wearing a Marlboro t shirt.
Posted Image

sugaraylen

sugaraylen

I am a Gunner!

• Supporters
  • 25,269 posts
  • 14-February 10
Gays have always been cooler than your average person. Whatever fuckin' movement there is, there's gays at the forefront, rock n roll, house music, disco, all dance music really come to think of it, punk, the beatniks, hippies, all your favorite rock n roll stars, all them Andy Warhol lot, in fact, if anything, it's less cool now. When people in the suburbs get into something, it's fuckin' sunk as far as being some kind of badge of cool thing.

But yeah, that whole queer thing, it's levelled at everybody thats cool, the beatles were queers cuz they shook their heads and when 'whooooo', the stones were queer cuz Mick looked like a giant fairy on cocaine, The Who were queers cuz they were mod, everyones a fuckin' queer, it's almost a way of telling someone they're stylish...or it was anyway.

But quite apart from all that bollocks, it's something that people use to denigrate and devalue homosexuality, by saying things like "it's 'in' now" and "is it the thing to be now?", like it's a cheap suit or something, i mean this is peoples lives and identities we're talking about, not the latest fuckin' haircut.

To think there's someone out there taking it up the arse cuz they think it's fashionable, it's a laughable concept.

ARSENAL TIL I DIE

Fearless N***** get slapped in Manhattan

For rappin'

Big Ghost steps off laughin'

wasted

wasted

Freedom Fighter

• Members
  • 35,833 posts
  • 31-March 04
I blame project runway.

fixing your hair!

Desperado

Desperado

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,918 posts
  • 14-February 05

If I were to hazard a guess I'd say there are no more gay people today than there were back then but society has matured to a greater extent these days. I think for that reason people are more likely to come out than they were back then. Also acceptance in the media means you see more coverage on TV and in the papers etc.

+1

and also there have been more tv shows and other stuff that's about or involves gay people.

juhjj8.jpg
Sorry for my bad english.

Coma16

Coma16

FRONTMAN

• Supporters
  • 6,045 posts
  • 27-May 11
Too many straight guys wearing capri pants and look like they are shopping at American Apparel...

#GuitarInHand

401914_10152867527845352_1449427467_n.jp

rock4eva

rock4eva

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts
  • 11-November 11
I have gay friends & recently the girls have said it is more "cool" if you're female but not if you're male.

They do come across prejudice as they are foster Mums & respite carers & some parents don't agree with their lifestyle so don't allow their children to be looked after by them despite the fact they are very experienced in dealing with disabled children.

Maybe teenagers think it's cool but for the grown ups who are in relationships they don't find it cool, it's just normal to them, it wouldn't even be noticed. It's not like they hold hands walking down the street or kiss in public.

AbominableHoman

AbominableHoman

I'm here for the Gang Bang

• Members
  • 11,508 posts
  • 21-July 04
Glad you prefaced it with "This is not a troll thread".

I have a half-cousin that is gay, and I really think he embellishes a bit for attention. And living in Portland, I honestly can't tell the difference between gay and hipster. Hipsters are known for trying hard to appeal to the sense of cool, so I guess that says something.

Edited by AbominableHoman, 14 July 2012 - 01:26 AM.

Posted Image

history is philosophy teaching by example

wasted

wasted

Freedom Fighter

• Members
  • 35,833 posts
  • 31-March 04
It's seems like its 1993 in the US.

fixing your hair!

arnold layne

arnold layne

a creep in a t-shirt

• Supporters
  • 12,567 posts
  • 17-November 06
I have homesexual feelings when I drink... I'm honest.

I don't want to be gay. But it's the truth.

I'm also really afraid of girls. :(

I don't like myself.

I wish I was like you; easily amused.

Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Commander Awesome

• Supporters
  • 8,280 posts
  • 13-February 06

I have homesexual feelings when I drink... I'm honest.

I don't want to be gay. But it's the truth.

I'm also really afraid of girls. :(

I don't like myself.

Nate, if you are gay man, there's nothing wrong with it. You just need to learn to accept yourself.

Not saying that you are, because you're drunk and I don't know how much sense you're making; but if you are, that's ok.
:shrugs:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users