Marc: About "The Lost GN'R album" from 1996

Marc,

A lot of quotes from 1995-1996 (AFTER Snakepit) indicate that GN'R was working on an album after Snakepit. Axl described it as the "bluesiest" material since Aerosmith Rocks. Matt described it as having the rawness of AFD and the sophistication of the UYIs, but with a groove, and claimed in 1996 that the band had recorded 7 songs and were intending to record 7 more. Duff said the album would be 12 hard rock songs with "no ballads", and Slash called the material "mean" and said in August 1996 that between he, Axl and Duff, GN'R had around 80 new songs. I have three questions.

1) Do you know if any of this is true-- Did Guns ever truly record any material after Snakepit, but before Slash left? What did it sound like?

2) Was anything recorded during the Zakk Wylde sessions--What did it sound like if so?

3) Has any of the material (whether a lick, riff or a full song that you recall) from this era ever surfaced on Slash/Duff/VR records? If you cannot answer this, that is totally understandable.

Thank you for all you contribute to the community and for your awesome book and your honesty.

Edited by Indigo Miser

Good question Miser. I would be curious if the songs had vocals on them, and if there is any 1996 material that were completed tracks. Also, is there a version of This I Love with Slash on lead guitar?

Edited by SONOFABITCH

i would love to hear this album

i thought i read somewhere that duff had like 8 songs or something from this time? it was a while ago so i might be misremembering that

Isn't this the material that had no vocals? I'm 90% sure were talking about the songs that were "done" but needed Axl's vocals. W/out vocals I'm less excited about them, but I can see where some people may be, it would be epic if someone did mash-ups of the music with vocals from CD like they did with VR and nuGuns.

*It was Duff that mentioned the complete songs that just needed vocals, I remember that, trying to find a link.

Edited by DeadSlash

Marc,

A lot of quotes from 1995-1996 (AFTER Snakepit) indicate that GN'R was working on an album after Snakepit. Axl described it as the "bluesiest" material since Aerosmith Rocks. Matt described it as having the rawness of AFD and the sophistication of the UYIs, but with a groove, and claimed in 1996 that the band had recorded 7 songs and were intending to record 7 more. Duff said the album would be 12 hard rock songs with "no ballads", and Slash called the material "mean" and said in August 1996 that between he, Axl and Duff, GN'R had around 80 new songs. I have three questions.

1) Do you know if any of this is true-- Did Guns ever truly record any material after Snakepit, but before Slash left? What did it sound like?

2) Was anything recorded during the Zakk Wylde sessions--What did it sound like if so?

3) Has any of the material (whether a lick, riff or a full song that you recall) from this era ever surfaced on Slash/Duff/VR records? If you cannot answer this, that is totally understandable.

Thank you for all you contribute to the community and for your awesome book and your honesty.

When the band started working together again back in 1996, it only lasted a few weeks as far as I remember. Izzy had a demo of about 50 songs. For what ever reason it all fell apart. I did hear a bunch of tracks that Zack was working on with Axl and maybe Duff a year latter. There were no vocals at the time I heard them. They were heavy Rock songs. I don't remember why nothing ever became of it. The songs sounded good. I used to be a lot better remembering this kind of stuff but, as I get older, i forget some things. I also don't know if any of those songs became VR songs. Maybe fall to pieces might have been one.

Zakk Wylde: “Axl called me up when we were doing [Ozzy’s] Ozzmosis album. They were down in rehearsals – it was me, Slash, Axl, Duff, Matt and Dizzy.” But, Zakk remembered: “There were never any melodies. There were never any lyrics.”

“I’d say ‘Dude, did you come up with any lyrics yet?’” Wylde said later, “And he’s just like, ‘Dude, I got people suing me right now.’ He’s on the phone with his lawyers 24-7. He was, like, ‘I can’t come up with any lyrics right now – they’d be about every other lawsuit I got going’.

“So we jammed together for just over a week, we jammed over a whole bunch of shit and came out with three pretty cool ideas. One of the riffs ended up on the first Black Label Society record [sonic Brew], [on the track] The Rose Petalled Garden. The stuff that I wanted to do, eventually, would have been like GN’R on steroids, man.”

It sounded heavier, but no-one was sure that it sounded right: Slash later said that it would have sounded “like Judas Priest or something”.

The above info is from here:

http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/top-posts/the-chinese-democracy-years-1994-2008/

It's been posted here before and is an awesome read.

The quote about no lyrics is not in relation to the completed songs you are talking about, but it shows he wasnt writing lyrics for the material. I'm pretty sure the Duff quote is somewhere in the article but I can't find it right now.

I also don't know if any of those songs became VR songs. Maybe fall to pieces might have been one.

If I'm not mistaken, before Scott and Dave became involved, "The Project" with Slash/Duff/Matt/Izzy was originally filmed as a reality show with them auditioning new singers to replace Axl.

I'm guessing (maybe) Contraband contained a lot of the material they had written for GNR and carried over for use with The Project/Velvet Revolver.

here is the song

It would of been cool to see what Axl would of done with Zakk's guitar

i would too thats why i think it would have worked beautifully. zakk wyldes pride and glory band from 1994 was very southern hard rock with a good hard bluesy base add that to slash and it could have been amazing