Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Marc: About "The Lost GN'R album" from 1996

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06
Marc,

A lot of quotes from 1995-1996 (AFTER Snakepit) indicate that GN'R was working on an album after Snakepit. Axl described it as the "bluesiest" material since Aerosmith Rocks. Matt described it as having the rawness of AFD and the sophistication of the UYIs, but with a groove, and claimed in 1996 that the band had recorded 7 songs and were intending to record 7 more. Duff said the album would be 12 hard rock songs with "no ballads", and Slash called the material "mean" and said in August 1996 that between he, Axl and Duff, GN'R had around 80 new songs. I have three questions.

1) Do you know if any of this is true-- Did Guns ever truly record any material after Snakepit, but before Slash left? What did it sound like?

2) Was anything recorded during the Zakk Wylde sessions--What did it sound like if so?

3) Has any of the material (whether a lick, riff or a full song that you recall) from this era ever surfaced on Slash/Duff/VR records? If you cannot answer this, that is totally understandable.

Thank you for all you contribute to the community and for your awesome book and your honesty.

Edited by Indigo Miser, 13 July 2012 - 02:23 PM.

-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN

SONOFABITCH

SONOFABITCH

Now You're Messin' With A....

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • 11-April 05
Good question Miser. I would be curious if the songs had vocals on them, and if there is any 1996 material that were completed tracks. Also, is there a version of This I Love with Slash on lead guitar?

Edited by SONOFABITCH, 13 July 2012 - 02:39 PM.

Towelie

Towelie

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • 01-February 10

Also, is there a version of This I Love with Slash on lead guitar?

That's doubtful. Didn't he say something about not wanting to do any more "Stephanie Seymour ballads"?

Kill Devil Hill

Kill Devil Hill

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,194 posts
  • 14-July 11
Reading through Chinese Whispers, I was under the impression that all the songs had been completed, and then Slash walked out on it, and that's one of the things that irritated Axl, that he had to start from scratch.

In regards to Slash, I read a desperate fan's message about, what if one of us were to die and looking back I had the possibility of a reunion now, blah blah blah. And my thoughts are, "Yeah, and while you're at the show your baby accidentally kicks a candle and burns your house down, killing himself and the rest of your family."

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • 12-December 08
Good thread - Axl said in the chats that Slash presented him with an early version of what would become Velvet Revolver's "Fall to Pieces" and he rejected it

Were any of the other Contraband tracks derived from GNR demos?

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 11,392 posts
  • 09-March 08
i would love to hear this album
i thought i read somewhere that duff had like 8 songs or something from this time? it was a while ago so i might be misremembering that

insomnium_zps2978907e.jpg

"We're nothing more than shadows

Glimmers of hope against the black sky"

DeadSlash

DeadSlash

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • 13-March 06

i would love to hear this album
i thought i read somewhere that duff had like 8 songs or something from this time? it was a while ago so i might be misremembering that

Isn't this the material that had no vocals? I'm 90% sure were talking about the songs that were "done" but needed Axl's vocals. W/out vocals I'm less excited about them, but I can see where some people may be, it would be epic if someone did mash-ups of the music with vocals from CD like they did with VR and nuGuns.

*It was Duff that mentioned the complete songs that just needed vocals, I remember that, trying to find a link.

Edited by DeadSlash, 14 July 2012 - 12:48 AM.

For the love of all that is holy, DeadSlash is not negative in any way toward Slash.  It is a handle I used when the band was still together.  It's a reference to the skull with a top hat design from the Illusions albums. I like Slash and Axl.

recklessroad

recklessroad

Marc Canter

• Insider
  • 1,765 posts
  • 10-August 07

Marc,

A lot of quotes from 1995-1996 (AFTER Snakepit) indicate that GN'R was working on an album after Snakepit. Axl described it as the "bluesiest" material since Aerosmith Rocks. Matt described it as having the rawness of AFD and the sophistication of the UYIs, but with a groove, and claimed in 1996 that the band had recorded 7 songs and were intending to record 7 more. Duff said the album would be 12 hard rock songs with "no ballads", and Slash called the material "mean" and said in August 1996 that between he, Axl and Duff, GN'R had around 80 new songs. I have three questions.

1) Do you know if any of this is true-- Did Guns ever truly record any material after Snakepit, but before Slash left? What did it sound like?

2) Was anything recorded during the Zakk Wylde sessions--What did it sound like if so?

3) Has any of the material (whether a lick, riff or a full song that you recall) from this era ever surfaced on Slash/Duff/VR records? If you cannot answer this, that is totally understandable.

Thank you for all you contribute to the community and for your awesome book and your honesty.

When the band started working together again back in 1996, it only lasted a few weeks as far as I remember. Izzy had a demo of about 50 songs. For what ever reason it all fell apart. I did hear a bunch of tracks that Zack was working on with Axl and maybe Duff a year latter. There were no vocals at the time I heard them. They were heavy Rock songs. I don't remember why nothing ever became of it. The songs sounded good. I used to be a lot better remembering this kind of stuff but, as I get older, i forget some things. I also don't know if any of those songs became VR songs. Maybe fall to pieces might have been one.

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 11,392 posts
  • 09-March 08
zakk wylde said in an interview one of the riffs he used in his short time in gnr was used on the black label society song "the rose petalled garden"

DeadSlash

DeadSlash

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,569 posts
  • 13-March 06

Zakk Wylde: “Axl called me up when we were doing [Ozzy’s] Ozzmosis album. They were down in rehearsals – it was me, Slash, Axl, Duff, Matt and Dizzy.” But, Zakk remembered: “There were never any melodies. There were never any lyrics.”

“I’d say ‘Dude, did you come up with any lyrics yet?’” Wylde said later, “And he’s just like, ‘Dude, I got people suing me right now.’ He’s on the phone with his lawyers 24-7. He was, like, ‘I can’t come up with any lyrics right now – they’d be about every other lawsuit I got going’.

“So we jammed together for just over a week, we jammed over a whole bunch of shit and came out with three pretty cool ideas. One of the riffs ended up on the first Black Label Society record [Sonic Brew], [on the track] The Rose Petalled Garden. The stuff that I wanted to do, eventually, would have been like GN’R on steroids, man.”

It sounded heavier, but no-one was sure that it sounded right: Slash later said that it would have sounded “like Judas Priest or something”.

The above info is from here:
http://www.classicro...ears-1994-2008/
It's been posted here before and is an awesome read.
The quote about no lyrics is not in relation to the completed songs you are talking about, but it shows he wasnt writing lyrics for the material. I'm pretty sure the Duff quote is somewhere in the article but I can't find it right now.

For the love of all that is holy, DeadSlash is not negative in any way toward Slash.  It is a handle I used when the band was still together.  It's a reference to the skull with a top hat design from the Illusions albums. I like Slash and Axl.

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 11,392 posts
  • 09-March 08
here is the song

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • 12-December 08

I also don't know if any of those songs became VR songs. Maybe fall to pieces might have been one.

If I'm not mistaken, before Scott and Dave became involved, "The Project" with Slash/Duff/Matt/Izzy was originally filmed as a reality show with them auditioning new singers to replace Axl.

I'm guessing (maybe) Contraband contained a lot of the material they had written for GNR and carried over for use with The Project/Velvet Revolver.

Nosaj Thing

Nosaj Thing

最期の終止符

• Supporters
  • 14,040 posts
  • 28-January 11

I also don't know if any of those songs became VR songs. Maybe fall to pieces might have been one.

Indeed, Fall to Pieces was presented to Axl.

qlq4.jpg

Goddamn it! Fuckin' Game of Thrones, man.

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • 12-December 08

here is the song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDM8lqP_zMQ

This almost sounds like "Slither", but at a faster tempo

ThinkAboutYou

ThinkAboutYou

BADASS MOFO

• Supporters
  • 12,178 posts
  • 20-July 02

here is the song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDM8lqP_zMQ

It would of been cool to see what Axl would of done with Zakk's guitar

Edited by ThinkAboutYou, 15 July 2012 - 12:22 AM.

Living the dream

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users