Do you think drugs impact people's lives negatively or favorably?

arnold layne

I am done with them. Fuck that. The cliché is true; they're bad for me.

I think they mask problems and make them worse. Sure, they might be fun or badass or whatever but they bring you down. It doesn't matter if it's marijuana, mushrooms, LSD or whatever. It's bad news for me and I don't encourage it.

With that said I support decriminalization and treatment for first time offenders.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Negative. I work with law enforcement and these drugs ruin lives. The life of the person who uses them runs the risk of getting a disease. The people who use them, have ruined other innocent people lives. I m glad you mentioned marijuana. Some people are ignoant and think they cause no harm. I have seen too many times someone really high on weed and cause an accident on the road.

Negative.

I have a friend who smokes marijuana regularly (not even a hard drug) and he's becoming dependent on being high. I don't do drugs myself nor do I have a problem with people who smoke marijuana, but in this case, it's at the point where he's content with just working a part-time job and getting high on his days off. He's got no direction planned. As much as he says he wants to go out there and do something, he lacks a lot of motivation. Instead, he'll just get high and play video games. He's definitely afraid of growing up and smoking up every day is only relaxing him to the point where he doesn't care.

Me and some of our other friends have voiced concern. Not because he's getting high, but because he's just wasting time.

Negative. I work with law enforcement and these drugs ruin lives. The life of the person who uses them runs the risk of getting a disease. The people who use them, have ruined other innocent people lives. I m glad you mentioned marijuana. Some people are ignoant and think they cause no harm. I have seen too many times someone really high on weed and cause an accident on the road.

Naw, man, that's impossible! Weed can't do that! :rolleyes:

Negative.

I have a friend who smokes marijuana regularly (not even a hard drug) and he's becoming dependent on being high. I don't do drugs myself nor do I have a problem with people who smoke marijuana, but in this case, it's at the point where he's content with just working a part-time job and getting high on his days off. He's got no direction planned. As much as he says he wants to go out there and do something, he lacks a lot of motivation. Instead, he'll just get high and play video games. He's definitely afraid of growing up and smoking up every day is only relaxing him to the point where he doesn't care.

Me and some of our other friends have voiced concern. Not because he's getting high, but because he's just wasting time.

My friend has that problem too. He works some crappy part time job, hates it, talks about finding a new one yet he stays there. Has this girlfriend who is a fat condescending bitch. Pot makes him put up with it but it isn't make anything much better. Pot is great for physical treatment but psychologically it just cements your feet while the water slowly rises.

Edited by Stannis Baratheon

Negative.

My friend has that problem too. He works some crappy part time job, hates it, talks about finding a new one yet he stays there. Has this girlfriend who is a fat condescending bitch. Pot makes him put up with it but it isn't make anything much better. Pot is great for physical treatment but psychologically it just cements your feet while the water slowly rises.

Precisely. It might make you relaxed enough to forget about a problem for a while, but when you come down from that high, the reality is that the problem is still there.

People actually think there's nothing wrong with being fine. Like those "It could be worse" situations. My friend is content for now, give him another fifteen or twenty years when very little changes he may end up using one of his many guns on himself.

Well, at least pot helped him live a little longer.

I think they mask problems and make them worse. Sure, they might be fun or badass or whatever but they bring you down. It doesn't matter if it's marijuana, mushrooms, LSD or whatever. It's bad news for me and I don't encourage it.

With that said I support decriminalization and treatment for first time offenders.

i would say it depends on the individual

They're bad if you can't maintain and have a productive life.

I see nothing wrong with recreational drug use, but to a point. Save it for the weekends, as a treat to yourself or some shit for working 5 days a week and having a job.

All about maintaining.

They impact people's lives negatively if they become a habit. They are all good in moderation though. However, I'm from BC, so I don't really know what a drug free world is like. I spent my ferry ride the other day talking about psychedelic drugs with another passenger for the whole hour and 45 minute ride.

Edited by Randy Lahey

just because you dont do drugs doesnt mean you still cant fight for the cause of decriminalization and trying to help addicts,im glad you see that

Drugs/alcohol can be a a great servant, but an equally bad master (Proverbs, or was it Christopher Hitchens?).

Hitch gets it right as always! :wub:

On the whole, observe the same rule about gin martinis — and all gin drinks — that you would in judging female breasts: one is far too few, and three is one two many. Do try to eat the olives: they can be nutritious. Try to eat something, indeed, at every meal.

On topic though, some do and some don't. I'd say any form of long term dependancy can't be good for you but occasional recreational use can be a good thing. I mean if I work hard ten/eleven months of the year and enjoy a few pints or a dabble in something a little more exotic on a weekend every now and then how is that a bad thing? I enjoy it ergo it's having a positive impact on my life, as long as I'm able to leave it at that and revert to the daily drudgery afterwards. As sad as it may sound I've had a long and sometimes turbulent, but mostly beneficial relationship with intoxicating substances over the past couple of decades.

We've been many places and done many amazing things together, though I guess that at least in part comes with having a very high humiliation threshold and the morals of an alleycat. :D Many many of my escapades are things that I still laugh about today. I think these days I'm a little old for sitting in a crowded pub at lunchtime in my girlfriends pink underwear doing shots, or waking up in foreign countries on public transport but there's very little of it I would change given the opportunity. :lol:

As for Arnold, I think you've been looking for anything to mask yor real problems. Drugs can be a good thing if you're just doing them for the fun of it but if you're using them as a crutch or a bandaid then it's never going to end well. If you're running away from something and using getting high as a way to mask rather than facing your real problems then of course they're not going to be good for you. :)

Edited by Dazey

Over here (Holland) it's often legal, always easily accessible and never that expensive.

That being said I've seen people happily doing softdrugs for years who can handle it like the average person handles an occasional beer.

I've also seen people completely destroy themselves and their lives with only softdrugs.

Guest Len B'stard

Positive

Like everything else in life though, the positive benefits of drugs are dependent on other elements in the equation. But generally, yeah, drugs are positive, they serve a positive function, if you're a fuckin' mentalist and drugs exacerbate that that ain't drugs fault, thats you fuckin' drugs up :lol:

But yeah, Jesus, drugs haven't had positive benefit, Christ, think of all the poets, the painters, the musicians, the artists that use drugs whether in doing their work (which is a rare beast actually, thinking about it) or just to relax, it's kinda part of who they are and, to a greater or lesser extent that effects the nature of a persons creative productivity, on some level at least, there's no getting away from that. That isn't to say that you need drugs to make good art but, look, for whatever fuckin' reason, the two things are married, that ain't for nothing.

And like alcohol, fuck me, Churchill won the war for us, pissed as a fart. Down there in the war rooms, Brandy in hand, by all accounts the great leaders of our times and times past were massive pissheads. Now i ain't saying the brandy won the war but for whatever reason the guy needed it and you can't discount the effect the sort of volume of brandy that people like Churchill put away. His ministers and everybody swore blind that he was never seen worse for wear but, OK, in that case he must've needed it to function normally :lol:

Like anything in the world, an excess of it will fuck you up. Laws have been created and, y'know, you put a label on things and it's like *gasp* devil marijuana, *gasp* devil cocaine...but these are just chemicals, chemicals that have a productive medical use, all of them. Before people started using this stuff to whizz off their tits they existed as medical aids and, really, if you think about it, they still are, even on the parts of recreational users, just the ends that people want from them are different but they are still used to produce that same effect.

First of all, drugs make some people feel great...that in and of itself is a positive benefit of drugs, no? They CAN fuck you up, yes but then so can a bacon sandwich, so can gluten, so can excess sugar, it's just different things are suitable for different people and it should be up to sensible individuals in the grown up world to make those kinds of calls. Like i can eat a whole large pizza, crack out a fart and go to bed, no problem but for some chubber out there with high blood pressure and cholesterol is gonna get fuckin palpitations.

There is nothing wrong with drugs, drugs are pure and innocent, they are chemicals, its how you use them, how you handle them, how naturally disposed you are for that kinda thing, that ain't the fucking drugses fault, banning drugs is like, getting the horses arse backwards and pulling it with a cart, it's pointless, it's like trying to ban people being cunts, THATS what fucks you up on drugs, you're own behaviour or your own lack of a predisposition to handle this kinda shit.

I mean you read a lot about overdoses and what have you and like, more often than not it has more to do with the person not taking them responsibility. First time Exstacy user dies, 4 pill found in his/her system, the fuck you doing taking four of ANYTHING the first time, thats just fuckin' thick. Man crashes car, found 8 times over the limit, again, thats the man being a cunt with his desicions *ahem* :lol:

Drugs are a part of culture, they serve a function in people religions, marijuana to the rastafari is a sacrement, it's a herb, to their interpretation, the herb of the old testament that the prophets used to burn before/during prayers or whatever, thats ganja greens so they say.

And it's the banning of certain harmless drugs that i think are a sub concious contributor to a total lack of respect for the law. Cuz how can you respect something that you know first hand to be a load of bollocks? And the sad thing is, it promotes an unsureness about other laws cuz hey, if this ones a piss take then how do we know loads of the others ain't, right? Every single moment that marijuana is illegal the law and the lawmakers and the people in charge prove themselves to be untrustworthy. I am told here there and everywhere that marijuana is REAL bad for you, i've been smoking since my early teens, i'm pushing 30 now, it don't impede my functioning in life.

Every single last drug on this planet should be legal because it is about freedom of choice, civil liberty, why why why why why why should anybody have the right to tell me what i can and can't put inside my body, why?!?! In fact, how fucking dare anyone tell me what i can and what i can't put inside my body?

But, in a way, i like the fact drugs are illegal because right off the fucking bat it gave me a heads up in life and that heads up was basically saying that hey, the laws a load of fuckin' bullshit, they're lying to you so pick and choose the ones you want to follow to your convenience and benefit because thats what was in mind of the people that created them.