Classic Rock: GUNS N’ ROSES FOCUSING ON WRITING NEW MATERIAL

SMG

I must find the interview Bumblefoot did with Eddie Trunk the week of Chinese Democracy's release in 2008.

Eddie kept asking Bumblefoot about the recording of the album, how the track listing was selected, etc.

Bumblefoot had *no* answers for Eddie and kept dancing around the questions. Eddie got mad and started yelling "YOU WERE THERE - THE ALBUM IS DONE, HOW CAN YOU NOT TELL ME MORE ABOUT IT?"

Anyone else remember that? It was golden.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you who haven't been around this circus since they started working on Chinese Democracy, you can't get too excited when claims like this get made. Ron, DJ, Stinson, Fortus, hell, even Axl, can allude, insinuate, or even promise new material but until the label locks down a release date, don't hold your breath.

I'd also like to ask why people get so worked up about songs we haven't heard. Thyme, The General, Atlas Shrug, Jackie Chan - we have no idea whether these songs are any good. They could suck for all we know. Saying, "I'm really interested in hearing The General" based on the title makes little sense. It's not like the previous lineup wasn't prone to pumping out a few clunkers (Rhiad, Scraped, Silk Worms, If the World). I suppose there's a curiosity factor, but this belief that these songs are somehow great because the title intrigues you is baseless.

Cheers,

Andrew

It's got to be pretty difficult to write music and bond with the band musically and get into that "zone" when you're worried about whether you're even going to have a job with this band much longer. They're probably worried about how they present the music, to what degree they should show Axl new ideas and suggestions, enough to show Axl how important they are for the band, but not so much that they overstep their bounds and piss him off. That's the scenario I imagine. I couldn't work like that. This band is going nowhere. There will still be this level of uncertainty in 5 years I'm sure, and as someone said earlier, this time around the record company will not put up with Axl's bullshit. Don't expect any officially released music in time for Christmas 2020, guys.

Guest Broskirose

Who would listen to a word this guy has to say?

7450081776_f5b645e43f_b.jpg

I'll believe we're getting a new album when it's in my ipod and ready to, either take me to heaven (if it's an Ashba-free album full of tracks like Thyme, The General, Seven, Berlin, Soulmonster etc), or break my speakers from sucking so much (if it's an Ashba-full album of Motley Crue/Sixx AM sounding cock rock tracks).

Tommy Axl probably knows what's going on in his own band. I mean, he probably has some idea that certain things may or may not happen. I wouldn't totally rule it out.

Fixed.

Well, I'd like to say I'm joking, but I'm not sure how confident I am that Axl is in complete control of this monster. It wasn't until Azoff came along that this band was able to produce anything tenable.

Cheers,

Andrew

All Axl does with this continuing silence is enable people to build up the expectations way too high. I said it before, it would take a good 10 years to get a manned mission to Mars off the ground if we decided to do it today. It doesn't take years to record and release songs. I would have thought Axl would be thrilled to finally have the Chinese Democracy Monkey off his back. But it appears that he is making the same mistakes all over again.

I don't mind that idea at all.

But, what happens to Thyme, General, Jackie Chan and all the other "big guns" that were created during the CD sessions?

A double album release, ala The Illusions?

One album of the 15 best remaining CD songs, and one album of new material?

I think putting out a 7 song EP out would prob. do really well. If some of it winds up on the new CD, fine. If not, that's fine too. GNR was doing EPs before Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber were born.

Putting out a triple CD isn't all that expensive to do anymore.

Guest Broskirose

The pic may have been in Halloween but he looks the same pretty much every day. He always wears the weird clothes, the makeup, the hat, the nailpolish and we all know those dreadful tats aren't fake. The only difference is he went a little overboard on the makeup.

All Axl does with this continuing silence is enable people to build up the expectations way too high. I said it before, it would take a good 10 years to get a manned mission to Mars off the ground if we decided to do it today. It doesn't take years to record and release songs. I would have thought Axl would be thrilled to finally have the Chinese Democracy Monkey off his back. But it appears that he is making the same mistakes all over again.

The band is good enough to do songs in one take. Most of the focus this year has been on touring, and they haven't put time aside to work on new songs. Bumblefoot had said they just got together to rehearse before a tour,and with them all spread out all over the place, trying to coordinate it where they're all together is kind of hard if they're making commitments to other projects. And if Tommy Stinson's joining Soul Asylum as soon as this tour's over, who can say when they'll be able to do it?

But, what happens to Thyme, General, Jackie Chan and all the other "big guns" that were created during the CD sessions?

I think putting out a 7 song EP out would prob. do really well. If some of it winds up on the new CD, fine. If not, that's fine too. GNR was doing EPs before Lady Gaga and Justin Bieber were born.

an EP would be the best way to go to get the rest of the CD stuff out

I must find the interview Bumblefoot did with Eddie Trunk the week of Chinese Democracy's release in 2008.

Eddie kept asking Bumblefoot about the recording of the album, how the track listing was selected, etc.

Bumblefoot had *no* answers for Eddie and kept dancing around the questions. Eddie got mad and started yelling "YOU WERE THERE - THE ALBUM IS DONE, HOW CAN YOU NOT TELL ME MORE ABOUT IT?"

wow, anyone got a link to the interview.

wow, anyone got a link to the interview.

Double for that, this I got to see.

It's got to be pretty difficult to write music and bond with the band musically and get into that "zone" when you're worried about whether you're even going to have a job with this band much longer. They're probably worried about how they present the music, to what degree they should show Axl new ideas and suggestions, enough to show Axl how important they are for the band, but not so much that they overstep their bounds and piss him off. That's the scenario I imagine. I couldn't work like that. This band is going nowhere. There will still be this level of uncertainty in 5 years I'm sure, and as someone said earlier, this time around the record company will not put up with Axl's bullshit. Don't expect any officially released music in time for Christmas 2020, guys.

Job security? They've all been in the lineup for years, I think they've found a system that works.

Edited by Flayer

yes. this. thank you sane person

I don't get it. Why is this news? Ashba has been saying the same thing ever since he joined the band. His focus is on writing material. He does not call the shots in GNR and determine what happens.

Even if it came from Axl it wouldn't mean anything, so what chance does Ashba have.

the thing is it isnt just dj saying this, fortus said the same thing and he is hardly one to say anything

Oh so another hired hand has said something. It's a sure thing then.

This is GNR we are talking about here. Save yourself the heartache. Don't get your hopes up on anything that anyone says (including Axl). When it officially hits the shelves then you can get excited. Not a minute sooner.

the thing is it isnt just dj saying this, fortus said the same thing and he is hardly one to say anything

Oh so another hired hand has said something. It's a sure thing then.

This is GNR we are talking about here. Save yourself the heartache. Don't get your hopes up on anything that anyone says (including Axl). When it officially hits the shelves then you can get excited. Not a minute sooner.

I like how people use the term 'Hired Hands' as a form demeaning nuGNR members. :lol: