Bumblefoot = the Glby of the new band?

Vincent Vega

I think BBF is the Gilby of the new band, not in terms of style or talent but in terms of the inner band dynamics...a very nice guy who is great on tour and does what he has to do in that regard, who recorded overdubs on already existing material, but a guy that Axl has no interest in writing with, a guy that Axl doesn't really care for except as a hired guy. Wasn't there rumors that Axl was still trying to get Bucket back in GN'R only weeks before the Hammerstein shows in 2006? I think BBF to him is like a compromise, like Gilby was to Izzy...Not the guy he wanted, but instead a lesser version of the same kind of player, a guy who who only made touring a possibility...But not someone he truly respects or appreciates as a band member nor someone he's interested in writing with as a full partner.

Izzy = Down to Earth Rolling Stones fanboy. Quit suddenly which put touring plans at risk. Loved by Axl and seen by Axl as his partner in GN'R, who Axl begged to change his mind up to the last minute.

Gilby = Down to Earth Rolling Stones fanboy. A guy who dressed and seemed like Izzy and who was friendlier toward the fans and livelier on stage. Overdubbed Izzy's parts on TSI. Not really cared for by Axl and viewed as a lesser replacement who he didn't even care to write with. A guy who only came in at the last minute so the band could continue to tour. Vented his frustrations about the then stagnant state of GN'R in an interview in May 1994, and was fired by Axl the next month.

Buckethead = Weird shredder guy with a gimmick and a one word identity/persona who Axl viewed as his virtuoso player, who brought CD to another level, who Axl did everything to appease to get the best out of him. Someone Axl valued immensely as an asset to the band, who quit on the eve of plans to play live. Axl tried luring Bucket back into the fold as late as a few weeks before the tour began.

Bumblefoot = Weird shredder guy with a gimmick and a one word identity/persona, a down to Earth guy who was friendly toward the fans and livelier on stage, who Axl might view as a lesser version of BH, who did some overdubs on CD and ensured that the 2006 tour could happen, but perhaps not someone whom Axl would want to write with. Vented his frustrations about the current state of GNR on Twitter and.....?

I really enjoy reading your posts. Sometimes i think you over think scenarios to do with GN'R. But great poster

...and just like any great poster he'd look great hanging on a wall somewhere. :D

Edited by Dazey

...and just like any great poster he'd look great hanging on a wall somewhere. :D

You're sig is funny, but you're biast cuz u didn't get a RRHOF reunion. Oh well, glad it upset you :)

Honestly I am.

Bumblefoot is not the new gilby, bumble was choosen by Axl and Gilby was choosen by Slash.

You're sig is funny, but you're biast cuz u didn't get a RRHOF reunion. Oh well, glad it upset you :)

Honestly I am.

Bumblefoot is not the new gilby, bumble was choosen by Axl and Gilby was choosen by Slash.

What am I upset about? :D It was a jokey play on words you dolt! Lighten up eh? :lol:

Edit: Oh and the sig's just awesome, period.

Edited by Dazey

Honestly I am.

What am I upset about? :D It was a jokey play on words you dolt! Lighten up eh? :lol:

Edit: Oh and the sig's just awesome, period.

Fair enough... Just got a stick up my ass cuz every1's makin more out of this than there is.

IDK I've accepted Axl's crazy..

Fair enough... Just got a stick up my ass cuz every1's makin more out of this than there is.

IDK I've accepted Axl's crazy..

Rule of thumb. If I say it it generally isn't meant to be taken seriously. :)

Interesting thread.

The truth is, we don't really know what Axl thinks about Ron. Only once the current band do a new album with freshly-written material will we know if Axl has any faith in Bumblefoot as a songwriter and potential GNR creative collaborater.

He'd be a fool to invest only in DJ, when Ron can run circles around DJ, Richard and pretty much anyone who's ever played guitar for Guns (including Buckethead). Not only that, but he is a terrific songwriter and vocalist.

Edited by Towelie

Interesting thread.

The truth is, we don't really know what Axl thinks about Ron. Only once the current band do a new album with freshly-written material will we know if Axl has any faith in Bumblefoot as a songwriter and potential GNR creative collaborater.

He'd be a fool to invest only in DJ, when Ron can run circles around DJ, Richard and pretty much anyone who's ever played guitar for Guns (including Buckethead). Not only that, but he is a terrific songwriter and vocalist.

Agreed. But what's the fun of waiting to see when eveveryone can jump to their own conclusions?

Interesting thread.

Agreed on pretty much all of that apart from the Bucket comparison and the songwriting. He's an average writer at best from what I've heard. :shrugs:

Interesting thread.

Agreed on pretty much all of that apart from the Bucket comparison and the songwriting. He's an average writer at best from what I've heard. :shrugs:

:bitchfight:

I think BBF is the Gilby of the new band, not in terms of style or talent but in terms of the inner band dynamics...a very nice guy who is great on tour and does what he has to do in that regard, who recorded overdubs on already existing material, but a guy that Axl has no interest in writing with, a guy that Axl doesn't really care for except as a hired guy. Wasn't there rumors that Axl was still trying to get Bucket back in GN'R only weeks before the Hammerstein shows in 2006? I think BBF to him is like a compromise, like Gilby was to Izzy...Not the guy he wanted, but instead a lesser version of the same kind of player, a guy who who only made touring a possibility...But not someone he truly respects or appreciates as a band member nor someone he's interested in writing with as a full partner.

Izzy = Down to Earth Rolling Stones fanboy. Quit suddenly which put touring plans at risk. Loved by Axl and seen by Axl as his partner in GN'R, who Axl begged to change his mind up to the last minute.

Gilby = Down to Earth Rolling Stones fanboy. A guy who dressed and seemed like Izzy and who was friendlier toward the fans and livelier on stage. Overdubbed Izzy's parts on TSI. Not really cared for by Axl and viewed as a lesser replacement who he didn't even care to write with. A guy who only came in at the last minute so the band could continue to tour. Vented his frustrations about the then stagnant state of GN'R in an interview in May 1994, and was fired by Axl the next month.

Buckethead = Weird shredder guy with a gimmick and a one word identity/persona who Axl viewed as his virtuoso player, who brought CD to another level, who Axl did everything to appease to get the best out of him. Someone Axl valued immensely as an asset to the band, who quit on the eve of plans to play live. Axl tried luring Bucket back into the fold as late as a few weeks before the tour began.

Bumblefoot = Weird shredder guy with a gimmick and a one word identity/persona, a down to Earth guy who was friendly toward the fans and livelier on stage, who Axl might view as a lesser version of BH, who did some overdubs on CD and ensured that the 2006 tour could happen, but perhaps not someone whom Axl would want to write with. Vented his frustrations about the current state of GNR on Twitter and.....?

gilby = beard

I'd say "yes and no". On the one hand- I've never gotten the sense that Axl and Bumblefoot have "bonded" all that well. They just seem to be from two completely different worlds and mindsets (world famous LA-based "rock star" in every sense of the word v. humble married northeastern plain-speaking guitar virtuoso somewhat "geeky" KISS fan). Also, on the whole- despite his incredible chops- IMHO Bumble's been kept out of the true "inner-sanctum" of Guns now comprising Axl, Dj, Tommy, Dizzy and hell "Team Brazil", Del James and/or Paul Tobias for all we know... Bumble seems to be in sort of that "next tier" of guys in my view which can of course remind one of Gilby.

On the other hand- I DO think Axl recognizes and admires TALENT and surely realizes that whereas there are many, many, many, MANY people that could do what Gilby did (and I'm a Gilby fan)- there are only a few select people in the world that can do what Bumble (and Bucket for that matter) can do on guitar. So- I think there's more respect there- especially when you consider Axl apparently deleted a few prime Bucket solos on CD and replaced them with Bumble, etc.

Anyway- if I had to guess- I'd say it's an uneasy relationship that nevertheless continues to "work" b/c of Axl's sincere appreciation for Bumble's unique, world-class talents and the fact that Bumble's such a great all-around guy (venting aside) and is probably quick to apologize or make peace UNLESS it's something truly awful or whatever...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

I'd say "yes and no". On the one hand- I've never gotten the sense that Axl and Bumblefoot have "bonded" all that well. They just seem to be from two completely different worlds and mindsets (world famous LA-based "rock star" in every sense of the word v. humble married northeastern plain-speaking guitar virtuoso somewhat "geeky" KISS fan). Also, on the whole- despite his incredible chops- IMHO Bumble's been kept out of the true "inner-sanctum" of Guns now comprising Axl, Dj, Tommy, Dizzy and hell "Team Brazil", Del James and/or Paul Tobias for all we know... Bumble seems to be in sort of that "next tier" of guys in my view which can of course remind one of Gilby.

On the other hand- I DO think Axl recognizes and admires TALENT and surely realizes that whereas there are many, many, many, MANY people that could do what Gilby did (and I'm a Gilby fan)- there are only a few select people in the world that can do what Bumble (and Bucket for that matter) can do on guitar. So- I think there's more respect there- especially when you consider Axl apparently deleted a few prime Bucket solos on CD and replaced them with Bumble, etc.

Anyway- if I had to guess- I'd say it's an uneasy relationship that nevertheless continues to "work" b/c of Axl's sincere appreciation for Bumble's unique, world-class talents and the fact that Bumble's such a great all-around guy (venting aside) and is probably quick to apologize or make peace UNLESS it's something truly awful or whatever...

the truth is axl and ron have 0 bond. 0 chemistry. robin and axl have chemistry. robin and tommy have chemistry. even robin and bucket had chemistry. but ron has 0 chemistry with axl, tommy, richard, dizzy, and chris

For what it's worth, when I met Axl in Indy and got to hang in his dressing room, Ron was the only other band member in there. All the others went their seperate ways.

Interesting. I think I remember you (or perhaps someone who was with you at the time) mentioning that after that particular show. Would be interesting to know if that was a rare occurrence or something that happens frequently. I wouldn't be surprised if Axl and Ron get along fine- hard to NOT get along with Bumble. I just question whether they have that same deep nearly instantaneous "bond" that Axl's reportedly had in his career with guys like Izzy, Dizzy, Paul, Dj, Del, etc. or even the kind of "emotional" attachment he had through hearing Slash, Robin and Bucket play. Time will tell I guess...