"Oh My God"--The ultimate "New" GN'R song.

Vincent Vega

Anyone else agree that Oh My God is like, among the best New GN'R songs? It's for me one of the best GN'R songs of any era. It's such an angry, "fuck you!" type song, with some of Axl's best lyrics since One in a Million. It's pure anger and poetry in a way. It's not like a stupid sort of "anger" song like Shotgun Blues; It's not banal. It's pure rage. It's such an awesome hybrid of Industrial, Metal, a bit of classic rock mixed in there, Groove Metal (the bass), with a Disco beat in parts...It's really sort of a masterpiece. I wish New GN'R had released an album of songs like OMG. I know a lot hate it, but I've never understood why. It's not whiny, it's not overproduced, it's raw, it's angry, it's catchy....It should've been a hit.

IMO, songs like Shacklers and OMG and Rhiad and Silkworms are a lot more authentic than songs like Street of Dreams in that, they aren't even TRYING to sound like circa 1991 GN'R. They're really moving forward, without any pretense.

Are there any songs by any other bands that have the same sort of sound/vibe as OMG? The same raw industrial anger over a great beat?

It's not as you're thinking

Or as you've imagined

To live in the shade

Of beliefs that were fashioned

To leave you in slavery

And drain out your soul

But what can I do when

There's so many liars

That crawl through your veins

Like millions of spiders

They seek out their victims

And who is the wiser?

Watch out!

Gotcha -

Oh my God, I can't deny this

I've been taught just to kill and fight this

To bury it deeper

where nobody can find it

like nobody wanted to know

So give it away like they're not gonna fuck you

how long can you bear him

to come back and haunt you

to burn past your feelings

and cause you to suffer

you're startin' to bleed

If they don't just give up

before it's too late

what will you offer in ways of healing

To one so confused?

Confused

Misused

I've been taught just to kill and fight this

don't bury it deeper

where nobody can find it

'cause nobody wanted to know

ooh, if it opens your eyes

well, then it's better than a strong compromise

I was willing to be lost in the shuffle

if only you had let me know

ooh, if it opens your eyes

well, then it's better than a last compromise

I was willing to be lost in the shadows

and they won't give in

'cause they know what they're after

A kick in the face

like it's all that would matter

I've been taught just to murder and fight this

to bury it deeper

where nobody can find it

cause, nobody wanted to know

Ooh, if it opens your eyes

well, then it's better than a good compromise

I was willing to be lost in the shuffle

Ooh, well then it's on with the show

like the tide out on the ocean,

The waves already set in motion,

The only one in the game who's lost is you!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! It's one of the best Guns N' Roses songs. I think it's up there with the old songs. It's slightly better than most songs on CD. I was so excited when I first heard it. It's just this amazing, crazy, aggressive beast!

It's a very well written song; great lyrics, great chorus, cool bridge, etc. But the production needed work. If the production/mix was as good as it was on Shackler's, and the vocals were not distorted, it would've been that much better.

I was gonna post something like this, you saved me some typing.

Love it, its one of my top listened to songs for a while now. It really is a bummer they never brought it back for a show these last three years and that the rehearsal videos people captured are in shit quality.

I love Oh My God, I originally remember downloading it from Napster during Christmas 99' and instantly falling in love with it.

Didn't Axl say during his chats that the version that came out on End of Day's is only the demo, and that its been reworked? But at the moment, there are no plans to release the reworked version? I hope that plan changes, and the fact that it was an option on the recent setlist, gives me hope that that plan has changed

Axl releasing a reworked song that flopped a decade who would be a huge blunder for the current band. People already call them a cover and touring band. Now u want them to re-release old songs?

I understand a few of you love it and that is cool. I think Yesterdays should have been a huge hit. And civil war might have been the best song of the 90s. But I sure don't want the new band to redo them and put them on the next album.