"Oh My God"--The ultimate "New" GN'R song.

Vincent Vega

Axl releasing a reworked song that flopped a decade who would be a huge blunder for the current band. People already call them a cover and touring band. Now u want them to re-release old songs?

I understand a few of you love it and that is cool. I think Yesterdays should have been a huge hit. And civil war might have been the best song of the 90s. But I sure don't want the new band to redo them and put them on the next album.

The OMG they released in '99 was a demo that was from what I heard was forced out of the band.

I hope the reworked one finds itself properly released on an album. The song was great in demo form, and has potential to be an amazing track when finished. The bits heard for the Rio rehearsals got me excited to hear it.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great fucking song. I hope 'cd2' will have some of that dark fucking anger at least on some of the material.

I wish Axl reworked it and included Oh My God on Chinese Democracy. I still love and listen to this song 13 years later.

Pretty sure this can't possibly be the first time I've read a thread of yours about this specific song, Miser.

Nonetheless, I agree with you. It's a great track. I prefer the live version of The Blues above anything new GN'R has done, closely followed by TWAT, but Oh My God got a lot of hate - here and in 'the real world' - but funny enough it seems ever since the 'nuGNR' lineup dissolved and Robin left the band, people have started getting nostalgic for that lineup, and I have started to see waaaay more people praising this track in particular. I can't recall ever seeing a positive comment about this song for a long time here prior to Robin leaving and all that.

It's a good aggressive ditty. I play it at the gym a lot.

Crazy to think it's 13 years old, now, and still one of the relatively 'new' tracks from this band.

I honestly don't want gnr to release the new version. I like the old version alot and don't really want the song to end up getting messed up like the blues did. I really don't get why the public doesn't like OMG though. Axl say's it's just a demo, and if it is it's really good for a demo.

One of my favorite songs by GNR, or any band for that matter.

It really puts together well the earlier GNR punk/hard rock sound into a more modern, industrial feel. The electronic intro with the band building up behind it, segueing into the guitar driven verses sounds like a remix of something with the feel of AFD "You're Crazy", then the chorus and bridge with the heavy drums and synth/keyboards.. Everything just fits perfectly.. and the lyrics are some of Axl's best I think. Unfortunately all these elements aren't picked up in the "End of Days" version, but the Rio recording does.

I wish this would get released somehow. If it doesn't turn up on a forthcoming album, but they want something to put out there in the meantime, they should release this online as a digital single. We are already familiar with it but I think people won't fully appreciate it until we hear it with proper production.

I'd like to hear the new version. During the soundcheck in Rio, the song seemed more catchy especially the chorus and looked like a strong hit. Also, the new bass line was awesome. I hope there will be a real solo, I could see some fretless guitar.

I would put the song on track number 2 on the next album.

The re-recorded version shouldn't be on the next album, but should be either a B-Side to a single, or part of a deluxe version of the next album. Ideally IMO the next album would be 12-16 tracks, with a deluxe version having 5-10 more songs (one or two covers, reworked OMG, perhaps some remixes).

What would be MOST ideal would be for the next album to be a double album. 30something songs. CD1 would be Bucket/Robin era stuff, CD2 would be the current band. Deluxe version with stuff like a reworked OMG, covers, remixes, etc.

Or you could release an album of the "CD Outtakes" this year or the next, and then an album by the current band later the same year or the next year.

Edited by Indigo Miser

Can't believe you guys.

OMG is a very weak song.

Silkworms is a piece of shit. It's not even worthy of a listen. It's just awful awful awful.

Rhiad - See Silkworms.

Best thing Axl has ever done? Are you fucking high?

I don't think OMG belongs in the same category as those others. Rhiad and Silky are not well put together songs.

OMG is has great lyrics and is unlike anything I've heard. That uniqueness deserves some credit.

I can agree that the lyrics are quite good.

But everything else in this song, from composition to production, is a mess.

It's not AS bad as Silk and Rhiad, but it's a weak song, not better than any song on AFD and maybe better than 2-3 songs on the Illusions. If the choice was up to me, I would even find it really hard to include it on CD.

People here are out of their minds saying it's the best GnR song ever.

Edited by Projected

Can't believe you guys.

OMG is a very weak song.

Silkworms is a piece of shit. It's not even worthy of a listen. It's just awful awful awful.

Rhiad - See Silkworms.

Remember when we only had a live version of Chinese Democracy and everyone didn't think it was that great? Could be the same with Silkworms. Ya can't really bash a song 'till you've heard the studio version.

Can't believe you guys.

OMG is a very weak song.

Rhiad - See Silkworms.

22121884.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q--CyTwt5B0

Amazing backing vocals at 2:00 and 3:23, gives me goosebumps every time I listen to it.

It's an awesome song and I love it, among my favorites. I wish they had played it at Rio, they even rehearsaled it at the soundcheck, it was possible to hear them playing on the outside of the City of Rock while the gates weren't opened yet.

Edited by ManetsBR

I can agree that the lyrics are quite good.

But everything else in this song, from composition to production, is a mess.

It's not AS bad as Silk and Rhiad, but it's a weak song, not better than any song on AFD and maybe better than 2-3 songs on the Illusions. If the choice was up to me, I would even find it really hard to include it on CD.

People here are out of their minds saying it's the best GnR song ever.

fair enough.