Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Bond 24: SPECTRE (2015) / James Bond Discussion

• Please log in to reply
2727 replies to this topic

Facekicker

Facekicker

Kicker of Faces

• SILVER
  • 13,498 posts
  • 02-March 06
Because he's black and the character is about as white as you can get.

The nearest comparison would be Daniel Craig cast as Shaft. Equally daft.

“For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled.”

Amir

Amir

Trying to start some mini-Iran

• SILVER
  • 5,588 posts
  • 30-December 08

Because he's black and the character is about as white as you can get.

The nearest comparison would be Daniel Craig cast as Shaft. Equally daft.

Back in the '50s/'60s, yes, it would have been unrealistic to have a black actor playing someone who went to Eton, who had parents who were born and bred in Europe, etc. But with second/third-generation immigrants, they've become more British than anything.

Shaft is defined by his blackness. It's a blaxploitation flick. I wouldn't want a black actor playing Wong Fei-Hung because it would be ridiculously unrealistic. Having a black British guy as an Eton-educated MI6 agent is no longer incredibly implausible.

Axl: 2010: 13th Sep, Paris; 15th Sep, Paris (L'ARC); 16th Sep, Geneva; 13th Oct, London; 14th Oct, London (+ DUFF); 16th Dec, Abu Dhabi

2012: 24th Feb, Atlantic City; 25th May, Glasgow; 31st May, London (+ IZZY); 1st June, London (+ IZZY); 15th July, Serbia;

2013: 28th March, Abu Dhabi

2014: 6th April, Buenos Aires (+ DUFF)

Slash: 2010: 3rd July, Manchester

2012: 12th Oct, London

2014: 12th Nov, Paris; 13th Nov, Paris; 2nd Dec, London

dalsh327

dalsh327

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,587 posts
  • 12-December 08

They've talked about doing a Live and Let Die remake with Elba, so the trip to Harlem would probably be more upscale and take out the Blaxploitation, the book was gold coins and not heroin. If a spy is going into Harlem or Jamaica, you'd expect him to blend in! 

Edited by dalsh327, Yesterday, 03:08 PM.

Amir

Amir

• SILVER
  • 5,588 posts
  • 30-December 08

A black actor playing Axl in the Reckless Road movie would be ridiculous PC nonsense.

Why create a new secret agent for Elba when he can just be the new Bond? Doesn't mean Bond has to be black for eternity. If they retrofitted the character to make a point of his blackness, make it so he went to some East End comprehensive and ex-poly instead of Eton and Oxford, then yes it would be the most pandering condescending rubbish ever. But if his race was no big deal and everything else about the character was true to his roots and essence, I'd be happy with Elba as Bond.

Axl: 2010: 13th Sep, Paris; 15th Sep, Paris (L'ARC); 16th Sep, Geneva; 13th Oct, London; 14th Oct, London (+ DUFF); 16th Dec, Abu Dhabi

2012: 24th Feb, Atlantic City; 25th May, Glasgow; 31st May, London (+ IZZY); 1st June, London (+ IZZY); 15th July, Serbia;

Georgy Zhukov

Georgy Zhukov

Marshal of the Soviet Union

• SILVER
  • 16,644 posts
  • 13-August 11

There was a theory proposed during Die Another Day that James Bond is just a code name given to the best agents.

I think if Elba does play Bond, he should just be James Bond. Nothing else should be made of it. He can certainly pull it off. 

Graeme

Graeme

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,931 posts
  • 22-August 05

There was a theory proposed during Die Another Day that James Bond is just a code name given to the best agents.

The director of Die Another Day believed that theory, which is why the film was an absolute load of shite. James Bond is one man. 

Also, Amir, you would seriously be happy with a plot line where Daniel Craig becomes Idris Elba with no reference made to the change (i.e. Connery to Lazenby, Dalton to Brosnan etc.)? Fair play to you, but I don't think I could suspend my disbelief. This isn't fucking Doctor Who.

6tpc.gif

Amir

Amir

• SILVER
  • 5,588 posts
  • 30-December 08

The director of Die Another Day believed that theory, which is why the film was an absolute load of shite. James Bond is one man. 

Also, Amir, you would seriously be happy with a plot line where Daniel Craig becomes Idris Elba with no reference made to the change (i.e. Connery to Lazenby, Dalton to Brosnan etc.)? Fair play to you, but I don't think I could suspend my disbelief. This isn't fucking Doctor Who.

If I can suspend my disbelief that Connery can pass as Japanese...

vlcsnap-10514.png

I'm not saying it would be ideal, but Elba's one of the better candidates I've heard from the names being tossed about. Tom Hardy's way too young, and while Fassbender is a great actor I can't see him as Bond. Who else has been suggested?

DieselDaisy

DieselDaisy

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 8,085 posts
  • 11-August 12

Growing up with these films, I sort of consciously believed that they rebooted it with every new actor but they evidently did not do this, or see it this way. Witness the scene in OHMSS when Bond goes through his draw and pulls off all his old gadgets. Also witness the beginning of FYEO which rounds off the Blofeld thing. Audiences were a lot less sophisticated them - and the reference to his dead wife in LTK.

Dr. Who

Dr. Who

Full

• Reduced privileges
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 12-November 14

The best Bond villain ever

Powerage5

Powerage5

2013 Death Pool Champ

• MOD SQUAD
  • 16,319 posts
  • 17-February 06

Time for a new poll on the Black Bond issue.

Amir

Amir

• SILVER
  • 5,588 posts
  • 30-December 08

We should just have a poll on who the next Bond should be.

https://today.yougov...lba-james-bond/

Statham would be bloody awful.

Powerage5

Powerage5

2013 Death Pool Champ

• MOD SQUAD
  • 16,319 posts
  • 17-February 06

We should just have a poll on who the next Bond should be.

https://today.yougov...lba-james-bond/

Statham would be bloody awful.

Fine <_<

Dr. Who

Dr. Who

Full

• Reduced privileges
  • PipPipPip
  • 213 posts
  • 12-November 14

Bond's background is supposed to be Scottish and English. And he's described in the novels pretty clearly. I thought we were staying true to the novels, not going with every 21st century fad. Sigh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users