The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

One other problem with Idris Elba is his age. He'll be 48 when Bond 25 is released in 2020, following which they presumably will announce the new Bond, so Elba could be 50-51 upon debuting as Bond! This would be the oldest Bond yet, eclipsing Roger Moore (46 when first cast, and receiving jibes about his age towards the end of his tenure) by around five years!

For perspective's sake, Connery was 32 in his first Bond, Lazenby 30, Dalton 41, Brosnan 42, Craig 38. 

Edited by DieselDaisy

2 hours ago, Dazey said:

I just think Idris Elba is mint. There's nothing about the Bond character that absolutely necessitates he be played by a white man though. 

There is though, isn't there?  I mean all that bollocks Dies' just wrote up there.  I mean don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it necessarily shouldn't happen, do it, why not do it if there's some sort of artistic intent behind it, which there doesn't seem to be, if anything there seems a political intent behind it, which just makes me wince.  Or else no intent at all, as evidenced by the fact that, when pushed, a lot of the people for it can't come up with a better answer that 'well why not?', which really isn't good enough.  I mean 'why not' isn't a reason that such decisions are made is it, otherwise why not have a midget...or one of my lot (00-1 pound 45p please :lol: ) or a hindu or a fuckin' eskimo?  

At the end of the day its all very insubstantial stuff but I just find it patronising.  Like that black superhero movie, or the all-girl Ghostbusters.  I mean do it if you want to do it and Lord knows I have no problem with cinema that has a message behind it but its rather more gratifying when that has something to do with the drama itself of the way its directed or the performances, as opposed to just...y'know, casting a black bloke or a bunch of birds.  I think Idris Elba is an alright actor too, which is all the more reason why 'THE FIRST BLACK BOND' would be a bit of a cheap addition to his body of work, I mean its the sort of thing you never escape as an actor.  I hope he has the good sense to avoid that sort of thing, not that its ever gonna happen.

• Like 1

On 10/1/2018 at 11:36 AM, DieselDaisy said:

One other problem with Idris Elba is his age. He'll be 48 when Bond 25 is released in 2020, following which they presumably will announce the new Bond, so Elba could be 50-51 upon debuting as Bond! This would be the oldest Bond yet, eclipsing Roger Moore (46 when first cast, and receiving jibes about his age towards the end of his tenure) by around five years!

For perspective's sake, Connery was 32 in his first Bond, Lazenby 30, Dalton 41, Brosnan 42, Craig 38. 

Yes, but black don't crack.

• Like 1

I don’t have a problem with the idea of a black Bond. If you have five white actors and five black actors all testing for the part and one of the black actors is the best man for the job, then by all means. Make him a modern British black man. Fleming himself played with the ancestry a little bit so why not.

I think where we run into trouble is the inevitable “first black Bond” angle that will be unavoidable in the press. It would overshadow the film and likely the actor as well. If you think he’s an atrocious Bond it will immediately be connected to his skin colour when it shouldn’t matter at all. Then next the press will be demanding the first Asian Bond, the first female Bond, and so on. The character of Bond will become all about appeasing minorities when the same task can be accomplished within the films using other characters and locales.

I think Barbara Broccoli has done a fine job of opening up other characters to make the films more equal. Bond is a misogynistic, flawed character who needs balancing. Judi Dench was an exceptionally strong female character for the series, Jeffrey Wright as Felix, Naomie Harris as Moneypenny, and so on. They definitely aren’t afraid to play with the conventional backgrounds of the characters, but I think it’s best left up to those outside of Bond himself.

• 6 months later...

Two new pieces of info today (that I care about at least):

Rami Malek is going the cast - likely to be the villain (what about Blofeld?!)

Jeffery Wright is back as Felix Leiter!

Also the locations are: Jamaica, Norway, Italy and London.

No word on the title yet

Bond 25 synopsis:

Bond has left active service and s enjoying a tranquil life in Jamaica. His peace is short-lived when his old friend Felix Leiter from the CIA turns up asking for help. The mission to rescue a kidnapped scientist turns out to be far more treacherous than expected, leading Bond onto the trail of a mysterious villain armed with dangerous new technology.

• 3 months later...

Dusting off this thread. 

It sort of died down but the internet went crazy over the new black female 007. I didn't because Bond has left MI6 at the end of Spectre and in the novels he also loses his 00 status and there was this whole epic arc where he gets it back. Kind of amazed they never filmed this arc. 

Also, who thought casting Grace Jones was a good idea?

On 8/15/2019 at 10:46 PM, Georgy Zhukov said:

Dusting off this thread. 

It sort of died down but the internet went crazy over the new black female 007. I didn't because Bond has left MI6 at the end of Spectre and in the novels he also loses his 00 status and there was this whole epic arc where he gets it back. Kind of amazed they never filmed this arc. 

Also, who thought casting Grace Jones was a good idea?

What book(s) was this arc that you speak of in?

6 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

What book(s) was this arc that you speak of in?

On Her Majesty's Secret Service, You Only Live Twice, The Man with the Golden Gun. The one where Bond gets promoted to 7777 to go on a suicide mission to kill Blofeld which he succeeded, captured by the Russians and reprogrammed to kill M, was stopped and had to kill Sacaramenga so he can be a 00 again.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 01/10/2018 at 7:13 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I've always thought Dalton resembled that drawing the most.

He actually looks more like Peter Cushing or Basil Rathbone. They brought Cushing back for that Star Wars movie so there's that option.

Fleming007impression.jpg  2-basil-rathbone-actor-john-springfield.

Edited by Dazey

here's my personal take on the bond franchise.

the last james bond movie that I enjoyed was moonraker. I don't care what the critics say, silly story and all, moore was in fine doing and it was entertaining at least. I mean, it had jaws (who goes through one of the most interesting vilain - good guy evolutions ever)! Even with the silly star wars stuff, the movie didn't hold it's audience for idiots. Likewise, 95 % of the movies that came before are some of my favorite movies ever. So much classics, so much classic moments, so much humour and attitude.

After moonraker, it went downhill really fast. "for your eyes only" was a turd of a movie with that annoying "bibi" character. I cringe, just thinking about it. octopussy was a borefest, a view to a kill had too little roger moore, and after that they changed actors anyway and no one could reach the heights moore and connery had set.

The only good thing to come out after moonraker, was a video game: goldeneye 007 on the N64.

Edited by action