The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

I think DAD's biggest crime is that up until Halle Berry shows up, you'd swear you're watching one of the best Bond films ever made. Right when the action hits Cuba everything from the plot to the dialogue goes rapidly downhill.

AVTAK kind of sucks overall (except for the title song and John Barry's terrific score), but I can see how it probably makes for a less painful watch. Well, maybe aside from Tanya screaming "JAAAAMMMEEESSSS!" every ten seconds. :lol:

• Like 2

On 10/18/2016 at 5:07 AM, DieselDaisy said:

Die Another Day simply has to be last, although I'm glad it exists as a ''so bad they're good'' film, to laugh at. Poor old Pierce got dealt shit for scripts after Goldeneye.

And Goldeneye was originally written for Timothy Dalton. So Brosnan never got a good film written for him. 

• Like 2

On 10/18/2016 at 5:52 AM, James Bond said:

I think DAD's biggest crime is that up until Halle Berry shows up, you'd swear you're watching one of the best Bond films ever made. Right when the action hits Cuba everything from the plot to the dialogue goes rapidly downhill.

AVTAK kind of sucks overall (except for the title song and John Barry's terrific score), but I can see how it probably makes for a less painful watch. Well, maybe aside from Tanya screaming "JAAAAMMMEEESSSS!" every ten seconds. :lol:

There was a lot of great stuff. Bond gets captured, tortured and grows a beard. That never happened in a Bond film. He goes rogue (first did it in LTK but Q still helpedhim) and is forced to depend on what limited contacts he had. He drives a 1957 Ford Fairlane (which he also drove in Thunderball) and his weapon of choice was a .38 revolver. Then it went south so fast. It was like a fuck you to the fans. 

If there's one standing feature in the Brosnan films, the secondary Bond girl is more memorable than the actual Bond girl. Famke Janssen, Teri Hatcher (who is remembered most for being awful), Sophie Marceau and Rosamund Pike. The primary Bonds played second fiddle, except for Halle. 

A View to a Kill had a great score, and this was John Barry's boring period. This was when he starting relying on strings and horns as oppose his jazzy background. But he went all out with Bond. Especially for The Living Daylights, one of his best.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

There was a lot of great stuff. Bond gets captured, tortured and grows a beard. That never happened in a Bond film. He goes rogue (first did it in LTK but Q still helpedhim) and is forced to depend on what limited contacts he had. He drives a 1957 Ford Fairlane (which he also drove in Thunderball) and his weapon of choice was a .38 revolver. Then it went south so fast. It was like a fuck you to the fans. 

If there's one standing feature in the Brosnan films, the secondary Bond girl is more memorable than the actual Bond girl. Famke Janssen, Teri Hatcher (who is remembered most for being awful), Sophie Marceau and Rosamund Pike. The primary Bonds played second fiddle, except for Halle. 

A View to a Kill had a great score, and this was John Barry's boring period. This was when he starting relying on strings and horns as oppose his jazzy background. But he went all out with Bond. Especially for The Living Daylights, one of his best.

Agree with everything in this post. It makes me sad when I think about how good of a movie DAD could've been had they actually written a cohesive script after the Cuba scenes. I honestly can't think of a single other movie right now that had such great potential from that point in the movie to what happened by the end. 

14 minutes ago, Crazyman said:

Agree with everything in this post. It makes me sad when I think about how good of a movie DAD could've been had they actually written a cohesive script after the Cuba scenes. I honestly can't think of a single other movie right now that had such great potential from that point in the movie to what happened by the end. 

Seriously. If you showed someone who had never seen DAD (But had seen most other Bond films) the first half hour of it, they'd probably think it's one of the best. It's absolutely baffling how it went from so good to so bad, so quick.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Powerage5 said:

Seriously. If you showed someone who had never seen DAD (But had seen most other Bond films) the first half hour of it, they'd probably think it's one of the best. It's absolutely baffling how it went from so good to so bad, so quick.

Speaking of which I'd like to see them do something similar like they did with the title sequence (minus the shitty Madonna song) by advancing the storyline with it in a creative way. 

Also if I'm Pierce Brosnan (or James Bond) I think I would prefer getting tortured the way the North Koreans did instead of being forced to sit through that shitty song. He got the easy way out...we didn't :(

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Georgy Zhukov said:

I agree with all your post but I wanted to isolate this and say a whole lot of yes. Barry's initial post-Connery Bond scores were nothing short of boring (even to Barry's own admission - especially for Golden Gun). However, he came back rejuvenated with Octopussy and turned in three terrific scores including one of his all time best with The Living Daylights. Talk about going out on a high note.

5 hours ago, Crazyman said:

Speaking of which I'd like to see them do something similar like they did with the title sequence (minus the shitty Madonna song) by advancing the storyline with it in a creative way. 

Also if I'm Pierce Brosnan (or James Bond) I think I would prefer getting tortured the way the North Koreans did instead of being forced to sit through that shitty song. He got the easy way out...we didn't :(

Right? I'd happily switch places with Bond in that scene if it meant never having to hear that song again. The bigger offender is that some shitty remix is used for the ending credits. Seriously, it's both the 40th Anniversary of Bond and the twentieth film in the franchise and you aren't going to end it with the Bond theme? Let's not even talk about the Madonna cameo...

5 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

It is almost as if it is an abandoned Craig era film. ''Yes, let's put Bond through torture, but then, let's give up and make the silliest film in the franchise''.

Yeah but SPECTRE had Lea Seydoux and not Halle Berry. That's 90% of DAD's problems solved right there. :lol:

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

Madonna's theme was awesome. 

I think the lyric are probably a little shallow and it's arguably tonally off for being tied to a torture scene but none of that bothers me. 

I don't expect a rally of support around these parts, though. :lol:

You are not getting any!

Tied for worst song with QOS's and Spectre's.

I'm generally a traditionalist when it comes to my Bond themes: big band; diva or crooner singer; 1960s vibe. FRWL, Goldfinger, Thunderball, YOLT, DAF, Nobody Does It Better and Goldeneye are my favourites. But I'll admit that Chris Cornell's song was a bit of a grower.

PS

Oh, I forgot Skyfall. Best theme since Nobody Does It Better.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

I think Cornell's song fit Craig's Bond perfectly. What makes the song work for me is how it's built around the chord progression that harmonizes the Bond theme, and therefore throughout the score it made the perfect theme for the film. I've always loved when the title song gets used as the principle thematic material for the score.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, James Bond said:

The initial shock of how terrible Sam Smith's theme was shot it down to the bottom of the list, but in retrospect I'd still probably consider Madonna's the worst.

Let's not even mention Never Say Never Again.

I dunno. Writing's On The Wall may still be my least favorite. 

Quantum Of Solace isn't even that bad, all things considered. I mean, they had the fucking lead actor making daily changes on the fly with the director while shooting because the script was so bad as a result of the writer's strike - no film is going to flourish under those conditions. It's a minor miracle that QOS wasn't worse than it actually was.

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

Spectre however, while certainly possessing a number of glaring problems, is not complete shite. It does not deserve to be lumped in with Quantum of Solace.

I suppose that's fair - perhaps if those themes were switched they would more accurately represent the movies, in terms of quality. Another Way to Die is kinda meh, which is what I think of Spectre. 

The shittiness of QoS is 3rd on my list of "what if" Bond scenario's that had a decent chance of happening. So far it's:

1. Lazenby doesn't become a hippie, stays to do DAF (at least) and the storyline is continued...aka the original CR to QoS scenario
2. DAD - no Madonna, no stupid storyline after the Cuba scenes, no invisible cars/awful CGI
3. QoS doesn't get screwed by the writers strike, Campbell decides he wants to finish the 2 parter, ultimately becomes a CR 2-esk movie. No shitty editing, opera scene becomes GOAT worthy Bond scene.

Edit: the fucking Bond facebook page just posted the Madonna PTS from DAD :lol:

Edited by Crazyman
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, James Bond said:

You think that's bad? Earlier Brosnan shared a production still on his Facebook of him as Bond in GoldenEye (as he often does) and immediately you had morons in the comments taking it as confirmation that he was returning as Bond.

It's crazy - there's a legitimate movement for Brosnan to return as Bond. Every now and then a post about it will pop up on the Bond subreddit.

23 minutes ago, Powerage5 said:

It's crazy - there's a legitimate movement for Brosnan to return as Bond. Every now and then a post about it will pop up on the Bond subreddit.

The same thing on his Facebook all the time. He posts an unrelated picture of him with a full beard saving a manatee or something and every comment is like "you should be Bond again!"

Might as well bring back Roger too, who at 89 somehow looks better than he did in AVTAK.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Snake-Pit said:

Whatever happened to the first black James Bond?

Craig essentially still has the job.

Regardless, Elba wouldn't have gotten the job - he's too old. He's only two years younger than Craig, and they need to go with someone considerably younger when they get Bond #7. They'd only have gotten two films out of Elba if he got the gig.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, James Bond said:

Might as well bring back Roger too, who at 89 somehow looks better than he did in AVTAK.

Not even hyperbole...it's actually closer than one would think. He looks remarkably good for being almost 90. 

Speaking of 'ol Rog, I stumbled upon this from a Q&A - someone said that he and Dalton are considered Gods among Bond fans (lol) and asked his opinion of Dalton:

Timothy is a terrific actor and probably the most accomplished actor to play Bond; he had to make the part his own and he did. His second film was probably ten years ahead of itself and the world wasn’t quite ready for a more violent Bond.

Totally agree with his opinion on LTK. Probably top 3 most underrated movies in the entire series, imo. Hell, it might be #1 on that list.

Edited by Crazyman
  • Like 2