The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

• James Bond changed the title to James Bond Thread - RIP Sir Sean Connery (1930 - 2020)
39 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

They'll add a dedication to the new Bond I feel, as he is really the guy who started the whole thing.

I would almost bet on it. I was on the fence about whether or not they'd add one for Roger Moore since a few years have already passed, but now that two Bonds have passed between films it seems more likely.

Bit of an unfortunately named film for a dedication, however. :lol:

• Haha 1

there is only one bond to me, connery.

moore was great too, for the humour. his movies are also legendary, but connery is the real bond.

All the rest, are wannabees.

craig could never convince me. he actually looks like he should have been the villain in one of the 60s movies. he reminds me of grant in from russia with love. 

z41tnr7hbxr31.jpg

as for brosnan and dalton; those seem to me really a poor man's bond.

Edited by action

My mom loved Sean Connery. She loved him as the best Bond. He was such a great actor. I think he lived an amazing life and living to 90 is something!

RIP Sir Sean Connery.

3 hours ago, action said:

moore was great too, for the humour. his movies are also legendary, but connery is the real bond.

craig could never convince me. he actually looks like he should have been the villain in one of the 60s movies. he reminds me of grant in from russia with love. 

z41tnr7hbxr31.jpg

I agree Sean was the best Bond, but I do like Daniel. Wonder who will come after him? The legend of Bond has to live on.

5 hours ago, action said:

z41tnr7hbxr31.jpg

That's actually Robert Shaw on the right, from From Russia With Love. Yeah, I liked both Connery and Moore as Bond.  Connery was pretty much a badass, he was great in The Untouchables. 

Just now, lame ass security said:

Yeah, I liked both Connery and Moore as Bond.  Connery was pretty much a badass, he was great in The Untouchables. 

Yup Connery was the best but Moore was great in his own way.  Connery was also great as Henry Jones Sr. in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, action said:

z41tnr7hbxr31.jpg

Miser gtfo. Also RIP Sean

9 hours ago, downzy said:

Great Bond, not such a great guy...

What is a great guy though? I have never met a perfect person in my life, but I have met plenty of people who claimed they were.

Mathew 7:5: First, remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, action said:

What is a great guy though? I have never met a perfect person in my life, but I have met plenty of people who claimed they were.

Mathew 7:5: First, remove the beam out of your own eye, and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye.

Sure, it’s an arbitrary consideration, but generally those who repeatedly and openly defend abusing women are not considered as having a fine moral character. 

48 minutes ago, downzy said:

Sure, it’s an arbitrary consideration, but generally those who repeatedly and openly defend abusing women are not considered as having a fine moral character. 

defending the abuse of women isn't very nice, it's true.

"the moral character" of a person is much more than that one single element, however. 

If you look hard enough, you can find fault with everyone.

You only need to look at the two presidential candidates in the US, to discover many issues, both with trump and with biden.

Clearly, Conney was very loved by his family, who knew him best. So I am confident he had a very, very fine moral character.

Being loved by your family, is more than many people can lay claim to.

If you die, surrounded by your loved ones, and they love you, then you can safely claim to have had a fine moral character. The stupid things you did and said during your life, don't matter.

This does not deny anything about the questionable aspect of defending the abuse of women. But that is an insignificance. It may matter to you, but it didn't matter to his direct surroundings, who knew him much better than you.

And thus, we all have to look at ourselves, look around, and see how loved we are by our surroundings. And perhaps, how much we love ourself? Because ultimately, we all know better than anyone else, how much of a nice moral character we really are.

Edited by action

1 hour ago, action said:

Clearly, Conney was very loved by his family, who knew him best. So I am confident he had a very, very fine moral character.

This makes no sense whatsoever. A lot of terrible people are still loved by their family. Paula Hitler kept defending her brother until her death in 1960, so should we conclude by your logic that he too had a ''fine and moral'' character?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, EvanG said:

This makes no sense whatsoever. A lot of terrible people are still loved by their family. Paula Hitler kept defending her brother until her death in 1960, so should we conclude by your logic that he too had a ''fine and moral'' character?

imagine comparing connery to hitler

it is a sign of the times I guess, that people struggle to estimate the morality of people.

It is my observation, that more and more, all sense of morality is quickly lost in our society. People are lost. And how should that be a surprise? what moral framework do people have anymore? For ages, you had the church to provide people with a sense of morality, and for a long time, this was sufficient. Now that the church is dead and buried, what has come into its place? The morality of twitter? You only need to have a quick glance to the world, to observe that all morality is lost.

Edited by action

13 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Why would anyone do that? I don't know much about Connery because I don't care about celebrities, but I doubt he and Hitler had much in common.

I was merely arguing your flawed logic.

my logic applies to connery, not to hitler.

You brought up hitler to prove my logic was making no sense whatsoever. It's utterly pointless to bring up hitler in this. If the example of Hitler is necessary to disprove my point, then you're merely admitting that my point stands without the comparison.

Edited by action

13 minutes ago, action said:

my logic applies to connery, not to hitler.

You brought up hitler to prove my logic was making no sense whatsoever. It's utterly pointless to bring up hitler in this. If the example of Hitler is necessary to disprove my point, then you're merely admitting that my point stands without the comparison.

It was a random example using one of the worst people who ever lived. But forget about it if it bothers you.

Just because Connery, or anyone else for that matter, has a loving family, doesn't mean they have a ''fine, moral'' character, as you put it. Your logic is flawed and you know it.

On 10/31/2020 at 4:41 PM, action said:

z41tnr7hbxr31.jpg

Hmm. Well, I never got the fascination with Connery. Yeah, he's the "original". But so what? And finally seeing/hearing him with his natural voice/slang (as opposed to the dubbed version) didn't help either. My favourite Bond always has been Roger Moore. Until Pierce Brosnan came along.