The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

AC/DC should do the next film to make up for that gay ass song.

MAN DOWN.

That could have been Skyfall's title.

I hear they ditched it as the working title because, while Sam Mendes thought it would be fitting for that particular film, the rest of the production team found it to be in poor taste.

• Like 1

MAN DOWN.

I hear they ditched it as the working title because, while Sam Mendes thought it would be fitting for that particular film, the rest of the production team found it to be in poor taste.

There was even another working title for Skyfall before they ended up going for the "single word about the plot" route - Once Upon A Spy. I still can't decide if I like that as a potential title for a future Bond film or if it sounds too much like a parody.

Of course, there's plenty of Fleming plot devices and chapter titles that would make cool titles. Depending on what they do with Blofeld in the next film, they could finally spare "Shatterhand" as the title and incorporate elements of the YOLT novel (which is still largely unused). I dig the one word titles and I certainly can't argue with more Fleming. They best stay away from the other continuation novels though. Most of those titles are garbage.

As far as titles go, Craig has had the best string of titles since the Moore days. Dalton had one Fleming and one incredibly generic one, Brosnan had two good ones (and they were Fleming-related) and two crap ones. QOS is a mouthful but hey, it's Fleming, so Craig gets the edge.

For direct Fleming titles, all we have left are:

- The Property of a Lady (would have made sense for Vesper's necklace)

- The Hildebrand Rarity (boring)

- 007 In New York (:lol:)

- Risico (could be decent for a villain or plot name, but there were enough complaints about QOS being a "difficult" title that I'm sure EON will avoid it, although Michael Wilson has noted he's fond of it)

Edit: Wow, I only just clued in to your poor taste joke. :lol:

Edited by James Bond

MAN DOWN.

There was even another working title for Skyfall before they ended up going for the "single word about the plot" route - Once Upon A Spy. I still can't decide if I like that as a potential title for a future Bond film or if it sounds too much like a parody.

Of course, there's plenty of Fleming plot devices and chapter titles that would make cool titles. Depending on what they do with Blofeld in the next film, they could finally spare "Shatterhand" as the title and incorporate elements of the YOLT novel (which is still largely unused). I dig the one word titles and I certainly can't argue with more Fleming. They best stay away from the other continuation novels though. Most of those titles are garbage.

As far as titles go, Craig has had the best string of titles since the Moore days. Dalton had one Fleming and one incredibly generic one, Brosnan had two good ones (and they were Fleming-related) and two crap ones. QOS is a mouthful but hey, it's Fleming, so Craig gets the edge.

- 007 In New York ( :lol:)

- Risico (could be decent for a villain or plot name, but there were enough complaints about QOS being a "difficult" title that I'm sure EON will avoid it, although Michael Wilson has noted he's fond of it)

Slow on the uptake there, eh? :lol:

Once Upon A Spy was the Skyfall treatment where M had an affair with an East German soldier during the Cold War and Bond had to kill her in the end, right? Interesting idea, but probably for the best they scrapped it.

I really hope Shatterhand happens someday. Hell, get Mendes for one final go, do Shatterhand, and have the Mendes trilogy be all one-word "S" titles. There really is no better time to do Shatterhand than right now.

On a tangent - anyone seen these yet?

rK0dKCV.jpg

MAN DOWN.

- 007 In New York ( :lol:)

Slow on the uptake there, eh? :lol:

Once Upon A Spy was the Skyfall treatment where M had an affair with an East German soldier during the Cold War and Bond had to kill her in the end, right? Interesting idea, but probably for the best they scrapped it.

I really hope Shatterhand happens someday. Hell, get Mendes for one final go, do Shatterhand, and have the Mendes trilogy be all one-word "S" titles. There really is no better time to do Shatterhand than right now.

On a tangent - anyone seen these yet?

rK0dKCV.jpg

That was the plot of Peter Morgan's original treatment, but it was scrapped when he left the project during the MGM financial troubles. I think "Once Upon A Spy" was actually a Purvis and Wade working title so that came later. I could be remembering it wrong but I'm sure they mentioned it in an interview. It's also worth noting that Morgan claimed that the eventual script kept his "big hook" but Mendes denied that - the idea to have M die was discussed even before QOS so it was nothing new, at least not to Morgan's credit.

I agree with the Shatterhand business. The timing couldn't be better to finally give that angle some screen justice, especially with Craig and Waltz.

I heard about that beer tie-in but I haven't seen a bottle yet - I haven't been actively looking though. Pretty cool!

Edit: Also yeah, it's been a long day. :lol:

Edited by James Bond

• 4 weeks later...

News from UK tabloids!

Daniel Craig reportedly 'quits James Bond franchise for Purity TV series

Just days after bookies slashed the odds on War & Peace actor James Norton becoming the next Bond, 007 himself - Daniel Craig - has reportedly ‘quit’ as the MI6 spy. 

The 47-year-old will allegedly be joining the cast of Purity which will run for several seasons, each lasting 20 episodes.

UPDATE: The Independent has learnt that a decision on whether Craig will return as Bond has not been reached, but if he does appear in Purity it does not necessarily mean he will not be back to play Bond.

Before the release of Spectre, the actor infamously said he would rather ‘slash his wrists’ than play the spy again, yet since then he has looked more fondly on the role. As reported in The Sun, it seems like he may not be returning to the role.

Producers at Sony have, on several occasions, said they are hoping to woo Craig back to play Bond once more, yet there has been no confirmation he will be back.

Numerous actors are tipped to play the iconic role once Craig finishes, including Tom Hardy, Damian Lewis, Henry Cavil and Idris Elba.

Purity, meanwhile, is based on the novel by Jonathan Franzen, and tells the tale of a young woman raised in unusual circumstances in Northern Carolina. 

Variety has also reported that Craig will star in the show, adding that a bidding war is currently ongoing for the series, with Showtime, FX and Netflix all interested.

However, there is no mention of Craig stepping away from Bond, and The Sun may have taken an unguided leap in claiming he will no longer play the spy.

Having made a name for himself on UK TV in the 90s, a role inPurity would mark Craig’s first role in a US TV series.

Source: http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/daniel-craig-quits-james-bond-purity-tv-series-idris-elba-henry-cavil-a6874646.html

If he says he's out and Idris isn't cast, the only way the press will be happy is if a Asian transgender lesbian named Jane Bond is the star of the next film. Only someone who's homophobic and racist would disagree with the UK press.

I'll only truly believe that Craig is gone by default if it takes longer for the distribution rights to be picked up than Mikey and Abbas thought. That could mean another gap which will pretty much rule Craig out for considering to return. If all goes to plan, we should know by spring if we have a new distributor and a projected release date for Bond 25.

I just realized my above post autocorrected "Babs" to "Abbas." :lol:

Anyways, after watching the Blu of SPECTRE finally I think I picked up on something bigger than them just referencing the old films. Is it just me or did they literally choose one key moment from each of the old SPECTRE films and adapt it in some form?

Table meeting in Italy after agent is killed by Bond - Thunderball. Blofeld showing off his meteor in the dark room - Dr. No's spider room combined with him showing off the aquarium. Train fight with Hinx - FRWL. Austrian cliff top clinic and snow action - OHMSS. Blofeld crater layer - YOLT volcano layer. Scarred Blofeld - YOLT. Actor playing Bond looking bored as fuck - DAF.

Okay, I'm kidding with that last one, but suddenly I appreciate all the location hopping so much more. I can't believe I didn't notice that on my first couple viewings. Sure, the references stood out but they flat out made sure to include some form of old school SPECTRE scene from every Connery/Lazenby film. Even though Goldfinger isn't a SPECTRE film we could probably even include the torture/laser scene.

I probably missed more too. Honestly, even though Skyfall is probably the better film, I think SPECTRE has more rewatch value for me. It's one I'll pick off the shelf again and again. It's not without its faults, but now that I'm watching it on its own as "just another Bond film" without the expectations I had going in the theatre, I loved it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, James Bond said:

I just realized my above post autocorrected "Babs" to "Abbas." :lol:

Anyways, after watching the Blu of SPECTRE finally I think I picked up on something bigger than them just referencing the old films. Is it just me or did they literally choose one key moment from each of the old SPECTRE films and adapt it in some form?

Table meeting in Italy after agent is killed by Bond - Thunderball. Blofeld showing off his meteor in the dark room - Dr. No's spider room combined with him showing off the aquarium. Train fight with Hinx - FRWL. Austrian cliff top clinic and snow action - OHMSS. Blofeld crater layer - YOLT volcano layer. Scarred Blofeld - YOLT. Actor playing Bond looking bored as fuck - DAF.

Okay, I'm kidding with that last one, but suddenly I appreciate all the location hopping so much more. I can't believe I didn't notice that on my first couple viewings. Sure, the references stood out but they flat out made sure to include some form of old school SPECTRE scene from every Connery/Lazenby film. Even though Goldfinger isn't a SPECTRE film we could probably even include the torture/laser scene.

I probably missed more too. Honestly, even though Skyfall is probably the better film, I think SPECTRE has more rewatch value for me. It's one I'll pick off the shelf again and again. It's not without its faults, but now that I'm watching it on its own as "just another Bond film" without the expectations I had going in the theatre, I loved it.

I agree here. Skyfall is objectively a better film. But the fanboy inside me loved SPECTRE so damn much. It's a fun Bond film, and I didn't realize how much I missed that until I saw it. 

6 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

I agree here. Skyfall is objectively a better film. But the fanboy inside me loved SPECTRE so damn much. It's a fun Bond film, and I didn't realize how much I missed that until I saw it. 

Indeed. As much as I'm loving the Craig era and what it has done, it was nice to have a "classic" Bond again and Craig still pulled it off. As a side note that I forgot to mention - I think the PTS will go down as one of the all time best.