The James Bond Thread: RIP Robbie Coltrane

James Bond

So what happens in CR/QoS simply doesn't matter? White is directly responsible for the death of the only woman Bond has ever loved (to this point), the woman who caused Bond to quit MI6 immediately after joining!

Then White escapes by having several MI6 members murdered by a mole. You don't think they'd be interested in arresting him if they knew exactly where he was (by himself, isolated in a shack in the middle of a mountain)?!

It's a plot hole. Explain it however you want but it doesn't make logical sense, even for the Bond universe. I do find it funny, however, the Bond is now "romancing" the daughter of the man who murdered the only women he's ever loved. Even when Swann says "I love you" in the torture scene Bond responds with "I'd always recognize you" :lol:

Mr. White wasn't responsible for Vesper's death, it was that Algerian guy. Bond went after him in Quantum of Solace, didn't kill him, instead he gets arrested. Bond wasn't going to Mr. White for revenge, he needed to know the secret behind the organization. White wasn't willing to give up all its secrets on a whim, he wanted Bond to protect his daughter. His daughter will lead him to L'American and that is where he will find all the information he needed.

Now I don't remember how Bond knew here to find Mr. White, but I guess it was only recently acquired information. The last M probably learned her lesson after capturing him, that lead to the death of one or two of her agents. So knowing where he is, but keeping him alive proved he is a very valuable asset, as he was the only remaining link to the organization.

Mr. White wasn't responsible for Vesper's death, it was that Algerian guy. Bond went after him in Quantum of Solace, didn't kill him, instead he gets arrested. Bond wasn't going to Mr. White for revenge, he needed to know the secret behind the organization.

Definitely disagree here. White is the head of Quantum, he's definitely responsible for her death. The Algerian guy is just the bait.

Again Bond quit MI6 and was going to spend his life traveling the world with her - there's no way he wasn't vindictive over her death, even for Craig's Bond. M chastises him for saying "the job is done and the bitch is dead" at the end of CR.

Also not explaining how Bond knows exactly where he is and why M would want to keep him alive despite not knowing any further connections (particularly when he's alone in the middle of a mountain in a remote area...) doesn't make sense. Even if we went by what you're assuming, that's way too much for any regular Bond fan (or moviegoer) to just assume. It's poor writing, simply put.

I don't entirely disagree. I'm willing to ignore it because it's a Bond film, but all the same it's something a line or two of extra dialogue could have fixed. I do think it was the result of trying to shoehorn White back into the plot after he escaped in Quantum. There should have been a bit more care put into the "how the hell does Bond track him down" side of things. Still, as it stands the cabin interrogation is one of my favourite scenes in the entire franchise. I'm also glad that the character of Mr. White finally got closure in the series. I suppose it's also satisfying in a twisted way that Bond got to bang his hot daughter. :lol:

I'm glad Mr. White returned too, for the record. Anyway, my newest rankings:

1. CR

2. FRWL

3. Skyfall

4. OHMSS

5. Goldfinger

6. The Living Daylights

7. Thunderball

8. Dr. No

9. Goldeneye

10. License To Kill

11. The Spy Who Loved Me

12. Spectre

13. For Your Eyes Only

14. Live And Let Die

15. Quantum of Solace

16. The World Is Not Enough

17. You Only Live Twice

18. Octopussy

19. The Man With The Golden Gun

20. Tomorrow Never Dies

21. Moonraker

22. A View To A Kill

23. Diamonds are Forever

24. Die Another Day

Come at me, bros.

Probably not too far off my ranking. I'd swap Thunderball and Goldfinger (I've always preferred the former) and then maybe swap SPECTRE with Dr. No and then that's about how I feel. Octopussy would also be higher on my list (my personal favourite of Moore's) but I can't argue with your bottom three. Obviously, if we were to include the abomination of film that is NSNA then that would be dead last. I'd even put the '67 CR above it.

The top spot, and top five for that matter, is always interchangeable for me. Skyfall, CR, FRWL, and OHMSS are absolute perfection so it's hard to say which one is truly my favourite. I'm sure I'll move SPECTRE up too after a couple more viewings.

• Like 1

Mr. White wasn't responsible for Vesper's death, it was that Algerian guy. Bond went after him in Quantum of Solace, didn't kill him, instead he gets arrested. Bond wasn't going to Mr. White for revenge, he needed to know the secret behind the organization.

Definitely disagree here. White is the head of Quantum, he's definitely responsible for her death. The Algerian guy is just the bait.

Again Bond quit MI6 and was going to spend his life traveling the world with her - there's no way he wasn't vindictive over her death, even for Craig's Bond. M chastises him for saying "the job is done and the bitch is dead" at the end of CR.

Also not explaining how Bond knows exactly where he is and why M would want to keep him alive despite not knowing any further connections (particularly when he's alone in the middle of a mountain in a remote area...) doesn't make sense. Even if we went by what you're assuming, that's way too much for any regular Bond fan (or moviegoer) to just assume. It's poor writing, simply put.

I've always been under the impression that White was working for Quantum. It seems Greene outranks him. Bond has learned from Vesper that he shouldn't let emotions cloud his judgment. Bond is above killing a sick and dying old man. In another time when White was actually you know, healthy, Bond may have considered it. But he left it for White to shoot himself.

I don't entirely disagree. I'm willing to ignore it because it's a Bond film, but all the same it's something a line or two of extra dialogue could have fixed. I do think it was the result of trying to shoehorn White back into the plot after he escaped in Quantum. There should have been a bit more care put into the "how the hell does Bond track him down" side of things. Still, as it stands the cabin interrogation is one of my favourite scenes in the entire franchise. I'm also glad that the character of Mr. White finally got closure in the series. I suppose it's also satisfying in a twisted way that Bond got to bang his hot daughter. :lol:

Just glad they didn't use the footage they shot of Bond killing Mr. White at the end of Quantum. Someone had to say "No! We need the gun barrel!"

It could have been done better. I agree it is one of the best scenes in the film. Didn't they say White tried to quit because SPECTRE was getting into the sex trade? A line has to be drawn somewhere.

I've always been under the impression that White was working for Quantum. It seems Greene outranks him. Bond has learned from Vesper that he shouldn't let emotions cloud his judgment. Bond is above killing a sick and dying old man. In another time when White was actually you know, healthy, Bond may have considered it. But he left it for White to shoot himself.

Just glad they didn't use the footage they shot of Bond killing Mr. White at the end of Quantum. Someone had to say "No! We need the gun barrel!"

It could have been done better. I agree it is one of the best scenes in the film. Didn't they say White tried to quit because SPECTRE was getting into the sex trade? A line has to be drawn somewhere.

White said he stopped following Blofeld because he'd gone too far - specifically named killing children. I think there was another example he gave but I can't remember what.

White said he stopped following Blofeld because he'd gone too far - specifically named killing children. I think there was another example he gave but I can't remember what.

"Our game is our game. This? Women? Children?"

Hmm. I believe they show both of their pictures at the end of Spectre. Someone (assuming Mr. White or Blofeld) has Greene killed at the end of QoS, which is why I assume Greene is a lower-ranking member than Mr. White.

This a long and spoiler filled review of the film from a long time Bond fan. I agree with it for th most part. I think if I watch it again without making sense of it I will enjoy it more.

http://haphazard-stuff.blogspot.com/2015/11/spectre-thoughts.html#more

Hmm. I believe they show both of their pictures at the end of Spectre. Someone (assuming Mr. White or Blofeld) has Greene killed at the end of QoS, which is why I assume Greene is a lower-ranking member than Mr. White.

Or Blofeld had him killed

This a long and spoiler filled review of the film from a long time Bond fan. I agree with it for th most part. I think if I watch it again without making sense of it I will enjoy it more.

http://haphazard-stuff.blogspot.com/2015/11/spectre-thoughts.html#more

Or Blofeld had him killed

I kept that option open.

Also that review is basically how I feel about the movie. Even down to the point where it sounds like I didn't like it :lol:

What I agree the most was how they tried to give Bond and Blofeld a shared history. Who's the asshole who approved that idea? If it was Sam Mendes, he should have passed on this film. This is a problem I've had with many films and television shows over the last decade. Lazy writing that makes no sense. Do they think the audience is stupid? Like in Spider-Man 3 when they tried to make it seem like it was the Sand Man that killed Uncle Ben when we clearly saw it was the other guy in the first film.

It seems when they delayed production for Sam to return, they did little to work on the script. They were better off filming it for release in 2014. I mean fuck.

Another thing I agree with is they gave away way too much. Especially casting Waltz and Scott. Scott should have hammed it up more as he did on Sherlock. He could easily have been Blofeld too. Surprise us by having Scott as Blofeld and Waltz as some decoy. Blofeld would be C all along. Now that would be mind-blowing.

I don't know if I'd film that script for a 2014 release, considering how bad the script apparently was that year. I believe they got the rights to Blofeld in late 2013 - they should've fucking sat down and hammered that thing out for the next year before announcing Spectre (late 2014).

Good point about Waltz in particular. I think it took everyone about two seconds to put two and two together when Waltz was cast and knew Eon reacquired the rights to Blofeld. Having Blofeld be C would've been a much better idea too; that way it seems much more realistic than having Blofeld create this giant operation to basically spy on people and torture/kill some guy that lived with him for a few years like 30 years earlier :lol:

Not to mention, you'd be able to blend the two storylines together much better in that case. M vs. C and Bond vs. C in two separate battles? One bureaucratic and one literal? That would've been fucking awesome.

Anyway my feelings about Spectre before seeing it? Hoped it was top 5, expected it to be top 10, disappointed that it was in the teen's. Originally had it at like 15 after initially watching it but moved it up in my rankings after a second viewing.

Edited by Crazyman

There were a lot of ways they could have made this film better, but I did enjoy myself. When it comes to the Craig films it sits comfortably behind Casino Royale and Skyfall. As a whole,it might just miss the top ten.

It seemed like during the writing they went "Fuck it, lets just have fun here!" instead of building up on somethings mentioned in Skyfall, Bond and his drinking problem. During a scene he hangs out at a bar, appears to early in the day and he just grabs a bottle of vodka. By the end of the film he was his old self again and in Spectre he was top of his game but it seems like they got too scared and never revisited again.

• Like 1

There were a lot of ways they could have made this film better, but I did enjoy myself. When it comes to the Craig films it sits comfortably behind Casino Royale and Skyfall. As a whole,it might just miss the top ten.

So despite our different tones we agree on its ranking overall :lol:

Agreed with the point about the writers. They had a good amount of material to build off of with Skyfall and chose not to.

Finally, what the fuck is Business Insider thinking? YKMN at 20?! Fuck you, BI. (I actually like BI but this is stupid)

Edit: OHMSS at 16, TMWTGG at 15? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another Way To Die at 11?! DIE ANOTHER DAY IN THE TOP 10?!!!

Edit 2: Jesus Christ what a shitty list. Skyfall at 9?! NSNA at 6?!

Edited by Crazyman

Yeah, I never noticed this in the other sequences but he had a gun in this one. Did he have one in the others?

Even with the mess of the script, Craig as always is the best part. He alone is responsible for the success of the series in the last 10 years. Okay credit can go to Campbell and Mendes too for making two of the best Bond films, but with a mediocre script and Mendes reluctantly coming back, Craig just kills it.

The franchise started going downhill with Cubby's death, the magic was gone. I don't think Barb and Mike have Cubby's touch. Brosnan did the best he could, but he couldn't save the series from them. I can't see this working after Craig unless they get some better writers.

Also, him being shirtless in the titles, a little much don't you think? Put a damn suit on him.

Craig himself is enough to keep the franchise afloat. Even his least regarded film (QOS) only did marginally worse at the box office than CR, so the fans will keep coming back for him.

So despite our different tones we agree on its ranking overall :lol:

Agreed with the point about the writers. They had a good amount of material to build off of with Skyfall and chose not to.

Finally, what the fuck is Business Insider thinking? YKMN at 20?! Fuck you, BI. (I actually like BI but this is stupid)

Edit: OHMSS at 16, TMWTGG at 15? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Another Way To Die at 11?! DIE ANOTHER DAY IN THE TOP 10?!!!

Edit 2: Jesus Christ what a shitty list. Skyfall at 9?! NSNA at 6?!

What the fuck? Please tell me they listed the songs backwards. Worst to best right? Seriously, what a crap list. NSNA is one of the worst songs ever written so there's no way any sane person can include it in the top 10.

Rewatching the Craig films, wish I can find the time to see Spectre again. Quantum of Solace is the weakest film but not horrible. There seems to be a big debate between Skyfall and Casino Royale. Casino Royale has a better script, a story that makes sense and some great action scenes but Skyfall is just stylishly superior, more fun and appealing to all James Bond fans. The plot doesn't make as much sense, but it was fun throughout. Beautifully shot. Like the art house Bond film Forster failed to make.

http://whatculture.com/film/10-things-nobody-wants-to-admit-about-daniel-craigs-bond-movies.php

Up to $130 million now domestically for a grand total of $543 million worldwide. Realistically I think it'll finish around $800 million but that international box office might push it even further. Next weekend it'll take a hit with the Hunger Games but I expect the daily grosses this week to be comparable to Skyfall just as last week was. In any event, it seems that the critics can't do too much damage to Bond.

Up to $130 million now domestically for a grand total of $543 million worldwide. Realistically I think it'll finish around $800 million but that international box office might push it even further. Next weekend it'll take a hit with the Hunger Games but I expect the daily grosses this week to be comparable to Skyfall just as last week was. In any event, it seems that the critics can't do too much damage to Bond.

Hasn't been released in China yet.

Hasn't been released in China yet.

Yes it has. This weekend it opened with $48 million there - well on its way to far surpassing Skyfall which made $59 million there over its entire run. New record!

I just saw it a week later than intended!

As a fan of the older movies (in otherwords not being on the movies were crap until Craig joined bandwagon) I liked it. It does seem more like a traditional Bond movie in parts, that's more though due to the references to older movies that will go over most people's heads.

I'd say just over half of the film is pretty good, but the final 3rd is abit lackluster. I expected a bit more to be honest, although others likely won't care that much.

Fortunately they changed a few things from the leaked script, however on the downside there's a few iffy things to be picky about. The retcons to the previous Craig films although understandable, don't make much sense. The trailer gave away way too much and the "connection" is way too forced and completely unnecessary.

It's still very enjoyable, but it could have been a classic.

Too bad they didn't have the rights to Blofled and SPECTRE until now. Otherwise the whole Quantum storyline could have just always been SPECTRE.

Yes, as Quantum are described as a subsidiary of Spectre which I found clunky in the extreme since in Quantum of Solace's opera scene, you see them very much similar and on the same level (in high criminality) as Spectre - Quantum and Spectre in all but name are obviously the same thing conceptually. It would have been more logical to merely have Blofeld head Quantum, and have Quantum named in that scene when we are first introduced to Blofeld.