Axls BRUTAL 2006 vma scream

Frozen Inferno

I remember feeling really excited for axl, the album was sorta coming out. Non hardcore Fans were finally getting a chance to see axl again since 02, and then he delivers the worst fkin scream in telivision history...

Did he plan his presentation like that or did merck give him the idea? Fuck. i know he didnt wanna wanna be there but atleast try to look good for your audience dude.

Edited by Frozen Inferno

I think it goes to show the importance of vocal warm-ups for Axl, without warming up properly he'd probably sound like this every night. That's why when you speak to people like Ron etc. about the start time of the show, they say that they go on when Axl feels he's ready rather than sticking to one start time, and it can be later or it can be earlier depending on the night/circumstances.

It felt like an odd moment.

Wasn't Axl on record afterwards saying he didn't want to do it.

Its out of character to do something he don't want to do. Maybe he did want to do it. Did it. Then back tracked.

After he let out the scream, there was a silence. I questioned if anyone in the audience knew who he was, and was that the kind of thing he does normally? :D

..maybe they've never heard the song either.

Edited by vaida

This was also when Axl made a real effort to say some nice things about the Killers only to have them throw it all back in GNR's face at the release of CD/Day & Age.

Yeah, I remember that. I thought the same thing when it happened. They were just upset CD outsold their album. They acted like babies, honestly.

This was also when Axl made a real effort to say some nice things about the Killers only to have them throw it all back in GNR's face at the release of CD/Day & Age.

Yeah, I remember that. I thought the same thing when it happened. They were just upset CD outsold their album. They acted like babies, honestly.

Why, what happened? What'd I miss???

Why, what happened? What'd I miss???

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/entertainment/music/sax-drugs-and-sausage-rolls/story-e6frexl9-1111118901632

In the UK - The Killers' most successful territory - Day & Age debuted at No.1, over Guns N' Roses' Chinese Democracy.

"We deserved to beat them," Flowers says.

"They're not what they used to be. We stuck together, this is our decade, this is our era. We deserve it."

I love that clip. He walks out and you can see in his face what he's feeling. It's like, he walks into the room and people are screaming for him, there was a definite buzz around the band at the time, and he's in the spotlight on national TV. What a wasted opportunity 2006 was. (I mean by the label, not the band)

I thought it was cool. It's his trademark. Live Era only enforced that to the younger fans that never saw the UYI tour.

Also, this was a 2weeks after the Euro tour when he opened the shows which that scream. It's his thing.

Jack Black looking like a tramp is more topic worthy.

Who are the killers?!? :question:

ignorance fail.

yeah, i remember when it was announced that he was going to be presenting, people here were freaking out wondering whether GN'R would play a song. then when he started the scream, people were like, "OH MY GOD THEY'RE DOING JUNGLE!" then, they didn't.

even at the time, back in '06, i remember people on here - supporters, mind you, who were digging axl's voice on the '06 tour - saying he had the 'mickey mouse' thing going on. i agree. '06 was a good year for him but it's like every time he has an opportunity to get a wide audience he flops. :( i know it was just a little scream and it was cool to see him presenting, but i don't think he really wanted to be there. it was obviously part of the label/management plan to get him back in the public eye, as by that point he was still telling people the album would be out in '06 (he even did a backstage interview at the vmas saying "this is the year").

honestly, '06 should have been the year all the pieces fell together, but they just didn't.

I think that has always come off as kind of an awkward moment for me. There was such a mystery when it was announced that he was gonna be there because there was such amazing buzz around that time period and again, everyone thought it'd be the perfect time to announce a release date. After the scream, I think there was this awkward moment for him where he was like "crap, that didn't go over well like it did in my head, shouldn't have done it" type of reaction. Nothing wrong with the scream, it was just strange. But it was awesome seeing him out and about and in the spotlight, being the rock star that he is. He got a pretty great pop from the crowd, too...