Rod Jackson and Aint Life Grand

silkchild

Hi Marc,

First of all a big thankyou for the Book, I love it! And I think it's awesome that you have a presence on the board and answer questions for us all :)

I was just wondering about Rod Jacksons relationship with Slash, do they still keep in touch? Aint Life Grand is my favourite work from Slash outside Guns and I far prefer this album and Jacksons voice to Eric Dover's.

Some real gems on the album - Mean Bone , Serial Killer and the opening track are balls out rockers! Very strong on the whole, where I found the 1st album patchy (even with 3 members of Guns playing on it)

I was wondering if you ever met Rod yourself also,and what were your thoughts on him if so? Another note, it is well documented on the Illusions tour Slash really was not keen on working with the backing singers and all the bloated presentation was not for him, with additional musicians now appearing with the band onstage, adding Pro Tools to recording sessions and he didnt share Axl's love of Synthesisers.

Aint Life Grand Contains electronic samples and Gospel Singing and I believe even a Brass Band is on the albums title track. Were these added elements Slash's idea? Things he said he disliked!? Or the work of a Band together bringing in these ideas as a collective decicision, or on the part of somebody else? A quote from Slash when Chinese Democracy came out said something along the lines of " Meh, it sounds exactly like I thought it would, lots of keyboards" (something like that) So it seems he has not changed his mind there?

Grateful for any info, I've always wondered about the Album because of these points and things Slash has said in the past regarding musical direction.

Thanks again :)

Hi Marc,

First of all a big thankyou for the Book, I love it! And I think it's awesome that you have a presence on the board and answer questions for us all :)

I was just wondering about Rod Jacksons relationship with Slash, do they still keep in touch? Aint Life Grand is my favourite work from Slash outside Guns and I far prefer this album and Jacksons voice to Eric Dover's.

Some real gems on the album - Mean Bone , Serial Killer and the opening track are balls out rockers! Very strong on the whole, where I found the 1st album patchy (even with 3 members of Guns playing on it)

I was wondering if you ever met Rod yourself also,and what were your thoughts on him if so? Another note, it is well documented on the Illusions tour Slash really was not keen on working with the backing singers and all the bloated presentation was not for him, with additional musicians now appearing with the band onstage, adding Pro Tools to recording sessions and he didnt share Axl's love of Synthesisers.

Aint Life Grand Contains electronic samples and Gospel Singing and I believe even a Brass Band is on the albums title track. Were these added elements Slash's idea? Things he said he disliked!? Or the work of a Band together bringing in these ideas as a collective decicision, or on the part of somebody else? A quote from Slash when Chinese Democracy came out said something along the lines of " Meh, it sounds exactly like I thought it would, lots of keyboards" (something like that) So it seems he has not changed his mind there?

Grateful for any info, I've always wondered about the Album because of these points and things Slash has said in the past regarding musical direction.

I did meet Rod and he was cool. I think Slash has grown a bit since he left GNR, He still loves the heavy stuff but will also work on other stuff with added elements. Also the producers will always want some of that stuff and know how to get it done. I don't know is Slash still keeps in tuch with Rod.

Edited by recklessroad

Hi Marc,

I did meet Rod and he was cool. I think Slash has grown a bit since he left GNR, He still loves the heavy stuff but will also work on other stuff with added elements. Also the producers will always want some of that stuff and know how to get it done. I don't know is Slash still keeps in tuch with Rod.

Cool! Do you by any chance know what Axl's thoughts on the album where? Did he prefer it to the 1st record,the demo's he initially was not keen on? Thanks for taking the time to reply :)

Not that much to tell. It was just a bunch of songs that were put together and a record was made. Thats the way Slash works. He comes up with riffs and finds someone to help complete and songs and sing them. Then he does a tour to support the new record I don't think Axl was very impress with it. I know he thought the VR stuff was better than the Snakepit stuff.

Edited by recklessroad

Not that much to tell. It was just a bunch of songs that were put together and a record was made. Thats the way Slash works. He come up with riffs and finds someone to help complete and songs and sing them. Then he does a tour to support the new record I don't think Axl was very impress with it. I know he thought the VR stuff was better than the Snakepit stuff.

Thanks so much Marc! I'm a little surprised Axl would prefer Velvet Revolver material to Aint Life Grand in particular, a few songs on the album I can really imagine Axl doing wonders with.

Slash's hospital admission was on this tour too I believe so if he was using narcotics more than usual that put him in hospital I think it's amazing he managed to come up with such a solid record

Marc,

Did you discuss VR with Axl? Did he compliment any songs in particular? I know in one of Axl's rants he said he was interested in the riff to Fall to Pieces but Slash revoked it or something.

This one I'm really interested in hearing about, I was totally surprised to read that Axl liked some of the VR stuff. Any extra comments on the subject would be awesome.