Your favorite bootlegs

Marc,

What GNR bootlegs (either taped by you or others) have you listened to/watched the most over the years?

Slash said in his book that the Ritz 1988 show wasn't their best performance, but he's glad that the proshot footage is available because "it shows the essence of the band". Is that a fair assessment?

Edited by Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Marc,

What GNR bootlegs (either taped by you or others) have you listened to/watched the most over the years?

Slash said in his book that the Ritz 1988 show wasn't their best performance, but he's glad that the proshot footage is available because "it shows the essence of the band". Is that a fair assessment?

I also think the Ritz gig was great. It showed who the band really was at the time. The people that keep asking for a reunion would be better off just watching that gig. I something watch some footage of the Street Scene 9/20/86 just because it was nuts but, I like some of the earlier gigs the best that were only on audio 6/20/85 Stardust Ballroom 7/4/85 Madam Wong's East and the Troubadour 11/22/85 because the sound mix was great and you can hear Axl well. I also like 8/23/86 because of the Debut of SCOM and Brownstone and the only time they played ain't going down Most of the shows have something cool about them.

Edited by recklessroad

Marc I have something titled "Sessions" that has :

Jumping Jack Flash

Reckless Life

heartbreak hotel

shadow of your love

jungle

move to the city

mama kin

instrumental jam - awesome!

west coast junkie

a different version of November Rain

rocket queen

night train

my michelle

your're crazy

paradise city

nice boys

back off bitch

anything goes

and an unwanted illusion - crash diet

all taken off the internet

my question is where the heck did this come from?

sounds like raw versions of everything before the records were made and totally cool!

Marc I have something titled "Sessions" that has :

Jumping Jack Flash

Reckless Life

heartbreak hotel

shadow of your love

jungle

move to the city

mama kin

instrumental jam - awesome!

west coast junkie

a different version of November Rain

rocket queen

night train

my michelle

your're crazy

paradise city

nice boys

back off bitch

anything goes

and an unwanted illusion - crash diet

all taken off the internet

my question is where the heck did this come from?

sounds like raw versions of everything before the records were made and totally cool!

It looks like they came from the Sound City demos from May of 1986 except for crash diet which was from something else

Imo Crash Diet is recorded around the same time as the other songs that are mentioned above. Axl's voice from that era is different (more raw) than on the Illusion recordings. Is it possible for you to send an email to Axl and ask him when Crash diet was recorded?

Edited by droezle

Imo Crash Diet is recorded around the same time as the other songs that are mentioned above. Axl's voice from that era is different (more raw) than on the Illusion recordings. Is it possible for you to send an email to Axl and ask him when Crash diet was recorded?

On "Crash Diet" Axl sounds awesome and the vocal sound is much cleaner and not as raw as "Sessions"

I think Marc is correct that it was recorded at a different studio and maybe later in the 80s

I also have Oh My God and it says House of Blues 2001 (which one?) either the acoustics in that building suck or the mix is bad as Axl vocals fade in and out and are not crystal clear.

I also has a bootleg version of Chinese Democracy that has a different album cover too and includes different sounds like Silkworms

I did legally buy the final cut of Chinese Democracy off of Apple too

Hey Marc. Besides the concerts that you taped, do you collect any other shows from '87 - '93?

There are hundreds of recordings out there and I'm sure you will enjoy listening for example one of the nights at The Forum in 1991. There are great audience recordings transferred from master tapes of all 4 nights.

Edited by fernandoGNR

With regards to HOB in 2001, I as reading an article by a sound engineer for that show. It was the first in-ear monitors show for Axl and he didn't show for rehearsal (as usual) and it is imperative to do a sound check with in-ears. As you can see in bootlegs on youtube, Axl is still fucking with them every show. I'll try to find the article and will edit it in to this post when I do.

Hey Marc. Besides the concerts that you taped, do you collect any other shows from '87 - '93?

There are hundreds of recordings out there and I'm sure you will enjoy listening for example one of the nights at The Forum in 1991. There are great audience recordings transferred from master tapes of all 4 nights.

I have the 4 Forum gigs I did them myself.

• Like 1

I have the 4 Forum gigs I did them myself.

I should have thought about that LOL

Thanks for your answer

So Marc do you think the magic has passed and we just need to move on or do you think a reunion would be great?

The magic is largely gone. I was watching some of the Hall of Fame performance earlier and the energy just isn't there for the most part. They are all slowing down with age. Kickass rock and roll is a young man's game. The 85-91 lineups just exuded a ton of energy that cannot be replicated by the same men 25 years later.