Romney picks Paul Ryan as his running mate

Vincent Vega

no way in hell paul wins the nomination. what is this love affair people have for paul? im curious

The fact that he's the only honest politician left?

i agree with a lot of pauls points but i dont think their is a such thing as an honest politician lol

I was gonna say...look up his voting record. It's about as close to flawless as you're gonna get.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no way in hell paul wins the nomination. what is this love affair people have for paul? im curious

i agree with a lot of pauls points but i dont think their is a such thing as an honest politician lol

Honesty is a relative term. I think Paul truly believes in what he says. He certainly doesn't pander. That's certainly refreshing. His ideas a batshit crazy though (eliminate the EPA and the Fed, return to the gold standard, return to isolationism). I'm not against reducing defense spending, but abandoning all foreign commitments and allegiances seems rather drastic. There's a reason why Republicans haven't truly taken up the Libertarian cause: they would set up Democrat rule for many generations, just as they did going into the Great Depression.

Edited by downzy

Didn't Romney get the GOP nomination.

Regardless of what the mainstream media says, no. It's not a done deal yet. It would take a miracle, but Ron Paul can still win the nomination at the convention.

Yeah but that's like a basketball team behind by 10 points with 10 seconds on the clock and the other team in possession pulling out the win. The game's over.

Non-interventionist and isolationist seem to be the same thing to a lot of people. If we brought most of our troops home and opened up more military bases to keep many of them employed, you think anyone would have the balls for an attack? I don't agree with shutting down all foreign bases, but not intervening and isolating are 2 different things.

I was gonna say...look up his voting record. It's about as close to flawless as you're gonna get.

apart from his son selling out to romney eh

I would agree with that statement if I saw any kind of form of compromise by the Republicans. When Bush was in power, well, perhaps until 2006, Democrats were willing to work with the President on many issues (tax policy, immigration reform, force authorization, the Patriot Act, the Medicare D program). You don't see that same level of compromise and bi-partisanship coming from the Republicans. Just look at the beginning of the primary season. When the then ten Republican primary candidates were asked if they'd agree to a 10 to 1 spending to tax increase deal, not one of them raised their hand. You do not see Democrats pulling hard to revoke the sequestered spending cuts to Medicare, but the Republicans are fighting like hell to prevent the $500 billion in defense cuts. Other than a couple senate votes for the stimulus bill in 2009, the Republicans have not granted Obama nor the Democrats a single sincere gesture of bi-partisan. Mitch McConnell, the number one Republican in the Senate, announced upon Obama's inauguration that it was to be the Republican's mission to ensure he was a one-term president by any means necessary. This has meant a record use of holds and filibuster threats by Republicans that has never been seen before in the Senate. Finally, Republicans offered little support of healthcare reform not necessarily because they opposed most of what was in Obamacare (since it was modeled after a Republican alternative to Hillary Clinton's proposal back in 1993-94 and is essentially the same plan that Romney signed into law as Governor of Massachusetts), but because they didn't want to give Obama and the Democrats any political points.

Republicans have fought Obama on job creation (striking down his proposal because it had some spending and wasn't all tax deductions), on the nuclear arms reduction treaty with Russia that would rid the world of thousands of nuclear weapons (particularly unsafe ones in Russia), and hell, they fought Obama and the Democrats on even providing healthcare benefits to first responders of 9/11 (for reasons that are beyond me). The vote to raise the debt ceiling, which was a routine and simple task under Bush, has now become a full on political war (despite the fact that such arguments actually cost America billions of dollars in extra interest charges). The chambers of Congress has never seen obstructionism dominate the legislative process like it has in the past 4 years. Obama certainly has his faults (focusing on healthcare when the economy really needed his undivided attention), but to suggest that he hasn't sought compromise from his Republican counterparts is a foolish assertion.

you do realize there are other channels besides CNN dont you?

Obama has been the most polarizing president, EVER. he spent the first two years when he had both the house and the senate cramming his Oabamacare down everybodys throat. when it was, and still is clear it is unpopular. this is a democracy last time I checked.

Now he, and you obviously want to whine that he is not getting any cooperation.

Cooperation? you mean he isnt getting his way... who do you think these big bad "republicans" are? they are elected officials, just like he is. they are trying to relay our message...

You dont cry obstructionism when you dont get your way.

The democrats havnt passed a budget since he has been in office.

Obama has no plan, he has no ideas, he thinks people like you will just vote for him. And the sad part he is right.

the democrats now want to say Ryans budget will hurt medicare, and ryan will , in good time point out hat Obamacare will slash 500 billion dollars from medicare over ten years to pay for it.

Nobody wants to mention that on CNN.

Like I said, be objective. we have a two party system and the civil rights movement elected Obama when we could have elected an experienced War hero, and what we have now is what we deserve for doing it.

You let CNN tell you Sarah Palin was a goof, and then you voted for Biden?

really?

Oabamas is a nice guy but he is out of his league.

Watch CNN paint Romney as the big rich guy looking out for other rich guys and think for a second how fuckin silly that is.

Romney gave 4 million to charity last year, did you know that?

Romney donated his fathers entire inheritence to charity.

Know that?

Romney doesnt need money, so I doubt he is running for president to make money for his buddies, thats just stupid.

I would agree with that statement if I saw any kind of form of compromise by the Republicans. When Bush was in power, well, perhaps until 2006, Democrats were willing to work with the President on many issues (tax policy, immigration reform, force authorization, the Patriot Act, the Medicare D program). You don't see that same level of compromise and bi-partisanship coming from the Republicans. Just look at the beginning of the primary season. When the then ten Republican primary candidates were asked if they'd agree to a 10 to 1 spending to tax increase deal, not one of them raised their hand. You do not see Democrats pulling hard to revoke the sequestered spending cuts to Medicare, but the Republicans are fighting like hell to prevent the $500 billion in defense cuts. Other than a couple senate votes for the stimulus bill in 2009, the Republicans have not granted Obama nor the Democrats a single sincere gesture of bi-partisan. Mitch McConnell, the number one Republican in the Senate, announced upon Obama's inauguration that it was to be the Republican's mission to ensure he was a one-term president by any means necessary. This has meant a record use of holds and filibuster threats by Republicans that has never been seen before in the Senate. Finally, Republicans offered little support of healthcare reform not necessarily because they opposed most of what was in Obamacare (since it was modeled after a Republican alternative to Hillary Clinton's proposal back in 1993-94 and is essentially the same plan that Romney signed into law as Governor of Massachusetts), but because they didn't want to give Obama and the Democrats any political points.

Republicans have fought Obama on job creation (striking down his proposal because it had some spending and wasn't all tax deductions), on the nuclear arms reduction treaty with Russia that would rid the world of thousands of nuclear weapons (particularly unsafe ones in Russia), and hell, they fought Obama and the Democrats on even providing healthcare benefits to first responders of 9/11 (for reasons that are beyond me). The vote to raise the debt ceiling, which was a routine and simple task under Bush, has now become a full on political war (despite the fact that such arguments actually cost America billions of dollars in extra interest charges). The chambers of Congress has never seen obstructionism dominate the legislative process like it has in the past 4 years. Obama certainly has his faults (focusing on healthcare when the economy really needed his undivided attention), but to suggest that he hasn't sought compromise from his Republican counterparts is a foolish assertion.

Obama has been the most polarizing president, EVER. he spent the first two years when he had both the house and the senate cramming his Oabamacare down everybodys throat. when it was, and still is clear it is unpopular. this is a democracy last time I checked.

Cooperation? you mean he isnt getting his way... who do you think these big bad "republicans" are? they are elected officials, just like he is. they are trying to relay our message...

Obama has no plan, he has no ideas, he thinks people like you will just vote for him. And the sad part he is right.

the democrats now want to say Ryans budget will hurt medicare, and ryan will , in good time point out hat Obamacare will slash 500 billion dollars from medicare over ten years to pay for it.

Like I said, be objective. we have a two party system and the civil rights movement elected Obama when we could have elected an experienced War hero, and what we have now is what we deserve for doing it.

really?

Watch CNN paint Romney as the big rich guy looking out for other rich guys and think for a second how fuckin silly that is.

Know that?

Romney doesnt need money, so I doubt he is running for president to make money for his buddies, thats just stupid.

applause.gif

really?

Know that?

Giving money to the cult you belong to is hardly charity.

really?

Know that?

I must congratulate you on saying so little with so many words. I gave you exact examples of Republican obstructionism with a Democrat President. Moreover, I provided examples of when the Democrats worked with President W. Bush to pass through legislation. Please, enlighten me with specific examples where Republicans were genuinely willing to work with the Democrats? Other than the 2009 stimulus bill (which received only two Republican votes), you can't because there are none. Republicans love to throw around labels like "socialist, polarizing, liberal" without actually engaging in a debate. They're not meant to enlighten, but to simply label and conclude the conversation. Obama and the Democrats spent 8 months trying to get Republicans to work with them on healthcare but not one congressmen or senator gave them a sincere ear. Don't believe? How about fellow conservative David Frum who was W. Bush's primary speech writer:

At the beginning of this process we made a strategic decision: unlike, say, Democrats in 2001 when President Bush proposed his first tax cut, we would make no deal with the administration. No negotiations, no compromise, nothing. We were going for all the marbles. This would be Obama’s Waterloo – just as healthcare was Clinton’s in 1994.

http://www.frumforum.com/waterloo/

The public's opposition to Obamacare isn't based on what's actually in the plan. If you break down what's exactly in it, most Americans support it. But Republicans are so great at tar and feathering what they don't like, it was dragged through the mud as Democrats attempted to find someone willing to work with them on it (hell, Senator Mike Enzi, one of three Republicans ostensibly negotiating health care reform as part of the Senate's "Gang of Six," told a Wyoming town hall crowd that he had no plans to compromise with Democrats and was merely trying to extract concessions: "It's not where I get them to compromise, it's what I get them to leave out"). Obamacare was suitably fine when it was proposed by conservatives as an alternative to Clinton's healthcare plan in 1993, and Romney didn't have a problem with it when he signed it into law as Governor of Massachusetts. It was a Republican plan, born from the Heritage Foundation, a conservative think-tank (look it up - don't just listen to Rush).

In terms of Senate opposition to Presidential appointments, never has there been so many holds and blocks. In fact, the Republicans have set a record: "In all, Reid has now filed 30 motions to invoke cloture on Obama judicial nominees, resorting frequently to what was once an extraordinary measure just to get the vacancy rate down to 76. By this point in President George W. Bush’s first term, Senate Democrats had whittled down that number to 29 vacancies. President Obama is poised to become the first president in recent history to end his first term with more judicial vacancies than he inherited."

http://www.acslaw.org/acsblog/in-blocking-tenth-circuit-nominee-senate-republicans-set-new-record-for-obstruction.

You're revisionist history is also amusing. The Democrats controlled the House for two years (2008 - 2010) during Obama's presidency, but in the Senate, they only had a filibuster proof majority for 10 months. When Kennedy died in August of 2009, his seat went to a Republican in the bi-election of November 2009. That means Obama only had 10 months of Senate support (not two years). After that, Republicans had the 41 votes to filibuster every motion the Democrats brought to the floor.

And before you accuse me of watching nothing other than CNN, you might want to speak with something other than FOX news talking points. You may think Obama is out of his league, but have you been watching Romney's campaign lately? Absolutely amateur and bush-league kind of stuff. I would provide examples but this post is already too long.

Before becoming VP, Biden had been a well respected senator for over 36 years, with much experience in foreign affairs and the legislative process (why he was picked as Obama's running mate). Sarah Palin consider herself seasoned in foreign affairs because Alaska is close to Russia (she actually thought the Queen ran the British Government). Please don't compare the two - it insults the intelligence of everyone, including your own.

And that's great that Romney donated $4 million to charity in 2011 (something I'm well aware of). But let's break that down. Of the $4 million, $2.6 million went to the Mormon church. I'm not slamming donations to religious institutions, but it's not like was looking to cure cancer or help out the homeless with most of his donations. Moreover, another good portion of those donations were listed as noncash charitable contributions. "That includes tens of thousands of shares of stock in Domino’s Pizza Inc, Senasata Technologies, Dunkin Donuts and Warner Chilcott that went to his family’s Tyler Foundation, based in Boston." And most of the money that the Tyler Foundation doled out last year went to the Mormon Church, George W. Bush's presidential library fund, and the Harvard Business School. The fund did give generously to organizers looking to cure Multiple Sclerosis and $10k to a cancer charity, but those are small portions of the overall money donated.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-24/candidate-romney-s-tax-returns-show-7-million-in-donations-over-two-years.html

Finally, when you make $20 million a year off of investments without having to lift a finger, it's not like giving $4 million is a huge sacrifice. The guy is, after all, worth around $250 million.

Please do your home work next time. I'm more than happy to have a conversation or debate, but refrain from simply labeling those who you disagree with. Use facts, not exaggerations and distortions. Put things into context. When you attack the person rather than the point, you lose.

Edited by downzy

I still say NO-ONE BUT PAUL, DAMMIT!

His campaign lawyers are fighting to make sure that his delegates are seated at the RNC.

He HAS the plurality of delegates in 5 states to be nominated from the floor. The GOP Establishment is trying to do everything they can to screw him by NOT seating his delegates.

They are absolutely terrified of Ron being nominated from the floor, because IF / WHEN that happens, all bets are off.

BTW, I'm not against everything in the Ryan budget plan that he drafted several times over the years. I do think entitlements desperately needs reform and likely cuts.

Where I take issue is that it's not a blueprint for fixing the debt crisis, as it claims to be. The fact that the Ryan plan provides trillions in tax cuts, which disproportionately go to the most wealthy, speaks to its true intentions. I would applaud Ryan if he reformed entitlements and kept tax rates where they are or slightly raised them, but that's not the case. Under Ryan's plan, Romney would have paid a 0.82 percent tax rate.

really?

Know that?

Cheers.

Everybody is saying how his $4 million contribution doesn't count because most of it was given to the Church of Latter Day Saints. I'm no big fan of Romney or the Mormon Church, but do we know how much outreach to the poor and such that the Mormon Church does? How much of the contribution could we expect to go toward outreach activities. If a lot of it went to that, you can't just disqualify it because it is done through a Mormon organization. Good works is good works. I don't care who does it. But if the Mormon Church defines "outreach" as standing around street corners and college campuses as passing out free Books of Mormon, and the costs went to printing those, then that's different. But I don't know if that's the case. Anybody have some legit data?

Everybody is saying how his $4 million contribution doesn't count because most of it was given to the Church of Latter Day Saints. I'm no big fan of Romney or the Mormon Church, but do we know how much outreach to the poor and such that the Mormon Church does? How much of the contribution could we expect to go toward outreach activities. If a lot of it went to that, you can't just disqualify it because it is done through a Mormon organization. Good works is good works. I don't care who does it. But if the Mormon Church defines "outreach" as standing around street corners and college campuses as passing out free Books of Mormon, and the costs went to printing those, then that's different. But I don't know if that's the case. Anybody have some legit data?

At the end of the day you've got to be suspicious of any "church" that has a membership fee. Also it's not the works that were done with his contribution that's at issue as such but moreso that it was charitable in his case in a legal sense only. He is compelled to give 10% of his income to his cult which makes it a fee and not a donation. If I were to demand $100 off you to buy a tramp a new pair of shoes then it wouldn't be charity no matter how worthy my intentions it would be extortion wouldn't it? :shrugs: