MYGNRFORUM Covers: Better

Tyler Drama

UPDATE:

We are just going to use GNR's instrumental track. It's clear we are not going to be able to make our own, so this is our only choice. I apologize for how long this is taking, but now it's time to get this show back on the road. Messages are being sent out to vocal participants right now. I'm going to give a deadline:

All vocal parts must be submitted by APRIL 14TH.

People WILL be replaced if necessary.

- Skiddy

----------------------------------------

Kinda worried about posting this :nervous:

Welcome to the very first "MYGNRFORUM Covers" thread! I'd just like to start off by saying that I don't want this to become a competition between us and GunsNFNRoses.com, who were the first site to do GNR covers. I actually participated in one of them, which you can listen to

I was hoping we could do the same kind of thing here. I'd like to get us started with a cover of Better:

If this project is successful and we decide to do more, I'll set up a poll so we can vote for the next one together.

So, first things first...

(The following no longer applies, so I just put it in a spoiler):

What are we going to do about an instrumental track?

I was hoping that we'd be able to find some musicians on here. This process can be very complicated, but I thought I'd at least put the offer out there. What I would need first is a drummer who can record and send me a finished drum track. The reason drums need to be first is so that everything else can be on rhythm. I can't have a guitarist send me his track until I send him the drum track to play to. So yeah, drummers, either post in this thread offering to play, or shoot me a PM. Just remember, you should have a decent-quality recording of yourself playing the song in its entirety. And I need the track to be of JUST the drums, and nothing else. No music.

Next, I would need a guitarist (or guitarists) and a bassist. If you are a guitar player and think you could play (and record) all the guitar parts in the song somewhat decently, leave a comment or send me a PM. If you think you could just do the rhythm parts, that'd be fine as well. I could find someone else to do the other parts later. And bassists, it's pretty self-explanatory by now. If you can play the song in it's entirety and can send me a decent-quality recording of it, please let me know. Just remember, the recording must be of JUST bass and nothing else.

Also, a note to guitarists and bassists, don't start recording until we determine whether we have a drummer or not. Because if we get one, you'd have to record to his playing, not the original.

After that's all done, I can probably just add in the synth and sound effects from the multi-tracks. Unless someone really wants to record them themselves.

IF we can't find a drummer, but we have a guitarist(s) and a bassist, I can just use the drum track from the multi-tracks, and the they can play over it.

Who is going to mix this thing?

Either me or evader. I'm sure whichever one of us it ends up being will ask the other one for help, suggestions, etc.

I heard you started a "top-secret" project to cover The Garden over at GNRFNRs and then abandoned it, what the hell was that about?

Not everyone had sent in their tracks yet. To this day, they still haven't. But some people got tired of waiting and decided to take the project into their own hands. You see, I'm not really into the idea of replacing people. But I guess I learned from that experience that sometimes it just has to be done.

Now, it's time talk about the vocals...

We're going to split the song into parts. Each part represents one person singing. So that means we'll have 12 singers. I've already taken the liberty of choosing PART 8 for myself, unless somebody else really wants it. Here are the parts:

PART 1 - silverarrow

No one ever told me when
I was alone
They just thought I'd know better, better

No one ever told me when
I was alone

PART 2 - highvoltage

The hardest part
This troubled heart
Has never yet been through now

Was heal the scars
That got their start
Inside someone like you now

For had I known
Or I'd been shown
Back when how long it'd take me

To break the charms
That brought me harm
And all but would erase me

PART 3 - KiraMPD

I never would
Or thought I could
No matter what you'd pay me

Replay the part
You stole my heart
I should have known you're crazy

If all I knew
Was that with you
I'd want someone to save me

It'd be enough
But just my luck
I fell in love and maybe

PART 4 - Hiipu

All that I wanted was

Now I know you better
You know I know better
Now I know you better

PART 5 - Estranged Reality

So bittersweet
This tragedy
Won't ask for absolution

This melody
Inside of me
Still searches for solution

A twist of faith
A change of heart
Cures my infatuation

A broken heart
Provides the spark
For my determination

PART 6 - bacardimayne

No one ever told me when
I was alone

No one ever told me when
I was alone

PART 7 - UcudBmine

All that I wanted was

Now I know you better
You know I know better
Now I know you better

PART 8 - GNRSkidRow1

I never wanted you to be so full of anger (anger)
I never wanted you to be somebody else
I never wanted you to be someone afraid to know themselves
I only wanted you to see things for yourself

PART 9 - The Only Cosmonaut

All that I wanted was

Now I know you better
Now we all know better
All that I wanted was

PART 10 (whoever sings this must continue behind the lead vocal until the end of the verse) - downzy

Na na na na
Na na na na
Na na na na
Na na na na

PART 11 - ll_tj1

If I were you
I'd manage to
Avoid the invitation

Of promised love
That can't keep up
With your adoration

Just use your head
And in the end
You'll find your inspiration

To choose your steps
That won't regret
This kind of aggravation

PART 12 - stormpack

No one ever told me when
I was alone

No one ever told me when
I was alone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To choose a part, just state in the comments that you want that part. You just need to know the rules, originally written by evader:

I must have an isolated vocal, with no instruments playing. So, you'll probably want to have the studio track playing in some headphones, while you sing into your recording device. Put the microphone several feet away (so the recording volume isn't too loud) and sing like you do when you are alone in your car... like you have bowling balls for testicles. You don't need to yell the song, but don't let yourself sound timid either. If you need any help at all, please ask. You can send me as many recordings for your parts as you want.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. I love harmonies, so add some in if you're up to it.

I will be sure to keep all participants updated in this thread and through PMs to let everyone know how the project is coming along and when everyone should record their parts.

LET'S DO THISSSSSS!!!! rock4

Edited by GNRSkidRow1

I can play guitar, keyboards and sing. I'd love to arrange some harmony vocals on the "No one ever told me when I was alone" parts. And I'd like to sing part 11, final verse.

Haven't done a GNR cover since my If The World a few years back.

Edited by Demon Wolf

I must have an isolated vocal, with no instruments playing. So, you'll probably want to have the studio track playing in some headphones, while you sing into your recording device. Put the microphone several feet away (so the recording volume isn't too loud) and sing like you do when you are alone in your car... like you have bowling balls for testicles. You don't need to yell the song, but don't let yourself sound timid either. If you need any help at all, please ask. You can send me as many recordings for your parts as you want.

I meant to say "put the microphone several INCHES away" :rofl-lol: The point is, most of us don't use professional recording equipment. If you get too close to the microphone, there will be distortion/clipping, and that stuff is brutally difficult to fix. Low volume is very easy to fix, and is preferable.

GNRSkidRow1, have you finally emptied your mailbox so you can receive messages again? Or were you blocking me? :blink:

I meant to say "put the microphone several INCHES away" :rofl-lol: The point is, most of us don't use professional recording equipment. If you get too close to the microphone, there will be distortion/clipping, and that stuff is brutally difficult to fix. Low volume is very easy to fix, and is preferable.

GNRSkidRow1, have you finally emptied your mailbox so you can receive messages again? Or were you blocking me? :blink:

I didn't realize it was full. I sent you a message earlier this evening...

I think it could sound good with multiple guitarists takes on it, I mean the original track has 3 (or 4, if Fortus plays on the track) players.

I could probably do rhythm guitars for any parts, and the Finch solo, and the noodling towards the end (that goes on during the naa-naa naa-naa part). Or just the intro riff, whatever. Can't play the crazy Bucket solo or the sweeps though :shock:

I think it could sound good with multiple guitarists takes on it, I mean the original track has 3 (or 4, if Fortus plays on the track) players.

I could probably do rhythm guitars for any parts, and the Finch solo, and the noodling towards the end (that goes on during the naa-naa naa-naa part). Or just the intro riff, whatever. Can't play the crazy Bucket solo or the sweeps though :shock:

PM sent.

I didn't realize it was full. I sent you a message earlier this evening...

Could you send me another one? I deleted it when I was cleaning up my mailbox, and when I tried to send you another message,

"The member GNRSkidRow1 cannot receive any new messages"

One of you mods should give this guy a bunch of extra storage for messages. He's about to really need it.