GNR 1996: tons of songs

pe_teko

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another question: If Axl still has the demos, how would everyone feel about DJ recording Slash's parts and Axl writing over that? Like the songs that Axl still wanted for CD? Would you be pissed that Axl was doing the old band's stuff with someone else, or happy that you'd get old Guns music in some form?

That's a good question.

Maybe that's the only way we could get to hear those songs: in new GNR versions.

So sad this people couldn't release that material back in 96'

Can you imagine listening to 80 GNR songs written by Slash, Axl and Duff after UYI tours?

That's my dream

According to Marc Canter, most of those songs--about 50 or so--came from Izzy. Izzy rejoined the band in the studio and the UYI lineup was literally all together in the same room working in '96 for several weeks and Izzy either brought with him or crafted around 50 songs in that period. The rest were mostly Axl's material, with Slash providing some blues based rockers. They had recorded at least 7 songs by mid 1996.

Yeah and most of those songs ended up on Slash's Snakepit and Gilbys solo record

Wrong. Snakepit and Gilby's record came out in '94. The interview posted is from August '96.

Around this time, according to Marc Canter, the band were REALLY trying. Izzy even officially rejoined the band and brought to the table around 50 songs. In this period the band recorded 7 songs. But it just couldn't work. The album that was being worked on was never completed (as in Axl laying his vox and lyrics to it) and was shelved. But it was apparently complete musically at least from stuff Slash, Duff and Matt said in that period and what Axl said in '02. He said the '96 material was the bluesiest stuff since Aerosmith Rocks.

Yeah and most of those songs ended up on Slash's Snakepit and Gilbys solo record

Wrong. Snakepit and Gilby's record came out in '94. The interview posted is from August '96.

Around this time, according to Marc Canter, the band were REALLY trying. Izzy even officially rejoined the band and brought to the table around 50 songs. In this period the band recorded 7 songs. But it just couldn't work. The album that was being worked on was never completed (as in Axl laying his vox and lyrics to it) and was shelved. But it was apparently complete musically at least from stuff Slash, Duff and Matt said in that period and what Axl said in '02. He said the '96 material was the bluesiest stuff since Aerosmith Rocks.

The more I learn about that period the more interested I am on it.

Those songs must be amazing...

According to Marc Canter, most of those songs--about 50 or so--came from Izzy. Izzy rejoined the band in the studio and the UYI lineup was literally all together in the same room working in '96 for several weeks and Izzy either brought with him or crafted around 50 songs in that period. The rest were mostly Axl's material, with Slash providing some blues based rockers. They had recorded at least 7 songs by mid 1996.

Axl didn't have anything except Prostitute and TIL. Alice Cooper (through Bob Ezrin telling him) and Matt Sorum said Axl barely had one song together in 4 years. Slash, Duff, and Izzy had a lot of songs, and Axl rejected Izzy and Slash's songs at the time instead of just going forward and recording them. It was just a pissing contest that Slash and Axl were in, any way you look at it. Odds are Izzy wound up using those songs for himself or just put them on the shelf for another time.

Look at it this way, Stephen King writes a lot of books, but he doesn't publish everything he rights as soon as he's done with it. Some things sit in a file.

Someday.

If Pink Floyd can release DSOTM alternate mixes and release several version of The Wall demos, and agree to that, after all the issues they had, then there's hope to have these released when Axl is 65.

Edited by Gagarin

Most of there probably ended up becoming Snakepit and/or VR songs.

Most of them were probably also just instrumental demo's at the time.

Going by Slash and Duff their books, there wasn't much (if any) shared studio time back then.

Axl didn't have anything except Prostitute and TIL. Alice Cooper (through Bob Ezrin telling him) and Matt Sorum said Axl barely had one song together in 4 years. Slash, Duff, and Izzy had a lot of songs, and Axl rejected Izzy and Slash's songs at the time instead of just going forward and recording them. It was just a pissing contest that Slash and Axl were in, any way you look at it. Odds are Izzy wound up using those songs for himself or just put them on the shelf for another time.

Look at it this way, Stephen King writes a lot of books, but he doesn't publish everything he rights as soon as he's done with it. Some things sit in a file.

"We have been doing mostly Axl's material." (Slash chat, 10/16/96)

"The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. I wouldn't want to go out and do a bad Guns N' Roses record." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"[slash] also enthuses about the new material Guns N' Roses have been writing. Apperently, the band members are currently trading tapes amongst themselves [before the actual recording sessions]. "It's amazing stuff," he says." (Slash, Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"Even if we don't sell any copy of the next album, I will be very proud of what we did. But I don't worry about it, I know that what we are doing right now is great. [...] We are working on rock songs that last only 4 minutes (laughs). We already did 7 songs and we will write 7 others. [...] It will be a single album with 10 or 12 songs." (Matt, 1996)

"Axl is rhythym guitar on his own songs for the time being." (Slash chat, 07/30/96)

"For the last couple of years, [Axl] started to go, 'Okay, I'm going to play guitar and actually learn what these notes are.' It's an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl's got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did.'" (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"Right now, he's playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for 10 years." (Matt, 1996)

"Guns N' Roses is back working together again, according to bassist Duff McKagan. [...] "We've been in for two weeks as a full band with Slash and Axl (Rose) and me ([...] Dizzy Reed is also back [...]), and we go from midnight to five in the morning," McKagan said from L.A." (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"It's fun and the energy is there," [Duff] said only hours before joining Axl Rose, Slash, Matt Sorum and rhythm guitarist Paul Huge at a GN'R rehearsal and writing session." (Duff, Metal Edge, 11/96)

"There will be a new Guns N' Roses 12 song minimum recording with three original "B" sides." (Axl, MTV fax, 10/30/96)

"The record will be all up-tempo rock songs ("No ballads," McKagan said firmly) and it will be just 12 songs, with a release planned for next spring." (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"It's gonna be an angry record, but that's what we were built on." (Kerrang, 09/21/96)

"This is not as sophisticated as Illusion, but not as wild as Appetite. It's in the middle. Maybe more groovy. Musically, we are all better. I never heard Duff play like that." (Matt, 1996)

How did it fall apart? Slash quit, that's how it all fell apart ...

Cool thanks for that

How did it go from Slash calling the new stuff awesome to him deciding to leave. Everyone sounds so positive at this point. How did that change

Edited by rydog

These two really stuck out to me. I guess Pitman wasn't lying about Axl's guitar skills.

"For the last couple of years, [Axl] started to go, 'Okay, I'm going to play guitar and actually learn what these notes are.' It's an innocent guitar, not unlike Izzy (Stradlin, ex-GN'R guitarist) was, but Axl's got a lot more musically than Izzy ever did.'" (Duff, Addicted to Noise, 08/30/96)

"Right now, he's playing guitar and it's like he plays that instrument for 10 years." (Matt, 1996)

How did it fall apart? Slash quit, that's how it all fell apart ...

Cool thanks for that

How did it go from Slash calling the new stuff awesome to him deciding to leave. Everyone sounds so positive at this point. How did that change

Axl became so good on guitar that Slash felt threatened.

It's refreshing to see all these threads popping up about how much material Axl has created through these years, hopefully it will remind people why people are getting so angry for new music not being released more.

on a side not this makes me think, during this lost GNR period for Axl that was 1994-Forward but was also in that odd period where Slash was still briefly sort of still in the band up until he officially left, were there any important sightings of Axl publicly during these couple years in the mid 90s where Slash was still called a member? Cuz I remember Slash doing lots of interviews and what not like from 94-96 in regard to GNR stuff whether it be bad or good, but it must have been weird being Axl was never scene.

Edited by amacfantasy