When did Rock lose it's balls?

Vincent Vega

When did Rock N' Roll lose it's balls? Why are so many modern rock artists so interested in NOT having fun--in singing only about their demons or how much their lives suck or how inside they're a monster? Whatever happened to just having fun in Rock N' Roll?

I'm talking about shit like Skillet, Rise Against, etc, which seem to be the modern rock bands that kids love nowadays.

It all sounds too similar...It doesn't sound fun at all. Too fucking serious and self important. Too crunchy sounding.

Edited by Vincent Vega

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i like music about sorrow,depression,death and loneliness those are my favorite subjects in music but thats what metal is for.

rock and hard rock for the most part is supposed to be upbeat and fun i mean you can have a couple serious or down tracks but nothing like rock is now

Guest Len B'stard

To me music with balls is challenging music, whats so ballsy about classic rock anyway? Whats your really asking for is the old status quo back cuz the new one don't suit ya.

And what does balls means to ya? Something like those 80's shitty glam bands? Pfft... No thanks, we don't need those posers back.

Of course, getting rid of these whining modern bitches wouldn't be a bad thing at all.

Edited by Chewbacca

Why are so many modern rock artists so interested in NOT having fun--in singing only about their demons or how much their lives suck or how inside they're a monster? Whatever happened to just having fun in Rock N' Roll?

I haven't a clue what you're talking about.

Now let me get back to watching this fun, happy, uplifting modern rock video ...

Guest Len B'stard

If by balls you mean hard hitting music, trying listening to what Nirvana sounded like live...and the sort of intensely physical response their music got from audiences. If by balls you mean like, tough guys playing the music, gimme a break :lol:

Every hard man on earth goes around fiddling with stringed instruments, it's like an application requirement to the tough guys union :lol:

Edited by sugaraylen

If by balls you mean hard hitting music, trying listening to what Nirvana sounded like live...and the sort of intensely physical response their music got from audiences. If by balls you mean like, tough guys playing the music, gimme a break :lol:

Every hard man on earth goes around fiddling with stringed instruments, it's like an application requirement to the tough guys union :lol:

By balls I mean just the sense of having fun, enjoying yourself. Not in the 80s party rock sense...

I also mean the sort of idk what the word is...Sleazy? Dirty? Sort of sound that stuff like the 60s and 70s Stones, GN'R, Aerosmith, Zeppelin, 70s Alice Cooper, Foghat, etc had.

Hell even Nirvana had balls as you said, same with Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains....But then again their guitars had beauty it wasn't all mushed together crunchy shit.

I can't quite explain it but like when Rock had SOUL. When it had some melody, a groove. When the guitars didn't sound all mushed together and crunchy, etc.

When it still had something real and meaningful...

Basically I guess "classic rock" along with the Grunge stuff or even Industrial stuff....