When did Rock lose it's balls?

Vincent Vega

Guest Len B'stard

Perhaps a better way of putting it would've been people who over-anaylyse are possibly, in some instances, reflecting a lack of instinctive intelligence because reading what you wrote i actually agree with you, especially the bit about certain types stopping processing at a certain point.

The thing with what you were saying, about:

Some people have a real philosophical type of brain and they're really good at understanding BIG concepts and emotional type things and then there are those that are really more straight down the line and practical and can process numerical and scientific type things better.

I think that without the understanding of the practical aspect, your grasp of the bigger picture is perhaps a little askew and i think thats what i suffer from. There is a school of thought that says that Maths and Science are perhaps the closest things we've got to understanding the meaning of life and that it's not a philosophical thing but a scientific/mathematical thing. That'll put all your pot-smoking quixotic dropouts to bed, eh? :lol:

Soul, spirit, heart, these things are intangibles and their value in terms of determining meaning from the universe is up in the air, it's a maybe but science and maths, we know for a fact, to a greater or lesser degree, explain the component parts of the universe, not necessarily completely but some would argue more than any number of great works of literature or philosophy or poetry. It's just that we tend to look at these things as clinical and remote from other things that appeal to our emotions more directly. It's not necessarily a notion i subscribe to but it's certainly worth considering and worth bearing in mind because people with a more philosophical inclination have a tendency to begin to look down on that sort of thing and i think it's counter-productive.

But i think your assertion that each thing scratches a different itch is pretty accurate too. The best minds of our times, i think are those with a grasp of both and, more importantly, understands the relationship between the two modes and where and how they link up and overlap and such.

Perhaps when science has been taken to the nth degree in terms of it's capabilities the governing concept behind it all will take on a philsophical context?

Edited by sugaraylen

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I definitely agree that those who grasp both do tend to be the best minds of our time. But honestly, that's pretty rare. Not even pretty rare, pretty fucking rare! I don't think you NEED to be both to make a really valuable contribution to this world. The key is to understand what intelligence you have (and maybe we all have a heightened degree of a particular type) and do things that compliment that.

I agree with you that practicality is a necessary ingredient in making music. I consider myself a fairly practical person because of what I do for a living (produce clothing for the fashion industry) and i did ballet/dance for many years which i suppose requires a certain amount of feeling for music, but I am totally shit at making music. I LOVE it but I really don't have a musical bone in my body, can't play instruments well and could never compose a thing if my life depended on it. So how does that relate? To me is doesn't. It means that whatever you spent years focusing on (my childhood years were basically spent with needles and thread in hand and dancing) is what you become good at, provided the aptitude is there to begin with.

I also agree that the intangible (emotional) things are validated to a lesser degree than any clinical, scientific, factual, intelligence but to me that is an unfortunate symptom of the time and culture we live in. Previous centuries and perhaps other cultures place much more importance on the intangibles than what Western culture does, but that doesn't discount it's importance IMO. Maybe it's got something to do with money? Tangibles are much more effective at producing profits than emotions, philosophies and spirit and as a result their validity is brought into question.

I've compiled over 24,000 songs in my IPod in all genres of music .

Maybe that is the problem. You aren't investing enough time into songs and bands.

24,000 songs.....say 4 minutes a song.....that means u have enough music to listen to music for 8 hours a day for 200 straight days without ever hearing the same song twice. How can you form an emotional attachment?

Maybe that is the problem. You aren't investing enough time into songs and bands.

24,000 songs.....say 4 minutes a song.....that means u have enough music to listen to music for 8 hours a day for 200 straight days without ever hearing the same song twice. How can you form an emotional attachment?

i agree plus they are just songs on some piece of equipment get an album from a band put it in the cd player and listen to it straight through.

Somewhere in the late 90's. Grunge was the beginning of it. Nirvana was a big part of it (and I'm a fan of them). After Nirvana rock split into 4 main categories.

- Pop-rock. Radio-friendly "safe" music. Like Nickleback.

- Neo-punk. Like Green Day or Blink 182. Sort of edgy and political at times, but poppy and easy sounding

- Nu-metal and Rap/rock crossover. Like Limp Bizkit. And koRn. And Linkin Park.

Category 1 are pussies.

Category 2 are sort-of-edgy pop musicians

Category 3 (the worst) are the bands that made it ok to whine about how shitty your comfortable suburban life is.

Then they all crossed over into eachother. No more balls to the wall in your face crap. But morons with black makeup whining about their social life and airheads who make pop songs using electric guitars.

Rock is dead. :(

i agree plus they are just songs on some piece of equipment get an album from a band put it in the cd player and listen to it straight through.

I don't see how the equipment you listen to the music on makes a difference.

I don't see how the equipment you listen to the music on makes a difference.

because its just songs all jumbled up on a player, when you get an album by a band you get the artwork, the notes and listening to the music gives you a musical attachment

Rock is dead. :(

Nah.

As a dominant force in music - hell yeah.

Rock music used to be about "This is what we like and this is what we do so fuck you if you have a problem with that"

These days the closest thing to rock music is about "Boo fucking hoo, I'm different and society is mean so I cut myself"

See the difference?