GNR's North American Tour Figures, 2002-present

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Important in terms of market size and scope. Yea. It is. Economically. Yes it is. For a rock band the market that matters is whichever one pays you. It's really not that controversial of a statement. Unless your over sensitive about it

Yeah, and when it comes to touring it seems like there are other markets more important than the US.

I can agree with that. My first post was in terms of Gnr touring the biggest economy in the world and how they did. I used "important" differently than you just did. European markets are way more friendly for Gnr and axl. US media is in love with axl being the asshole narrative. Or fat and it's annoying as shit

Interesting stats:

Before the release of Chinese Democracy in 2008, NewGNR averaged attendance of 8,500-9,000 for arena shows in North America.

After the release of Chinese Democracy in 2008, NewGNR averaged attendance of 6,000-6,500 for arena shows in North America.

Why did an average of 2,000-3,000 people stop buying tickets after the album's release?

Oh so we're not allowed to talk about the rest of the world? Like for example... the South American continent. Oh right, only the United States matters in your myopic worldview. Good luck with that.

LOL

relax champ

You'll have to forgive brainsaber, it is..."unbalanced."

If anything this thread shows promoters are still willing to book GNR because they're profitable. Wether GNR sells 1 ticket or 10,000 they still get paid, that simple. It's the promoters who take all of the risk. They're still booking them that means there's a demand and money to be made.

That's not bad as far as the US $ goes. They knew they toured in a tough market for the past few years, and some of us figured they were going to do a residency at some point - just in Axl's LA Times interview last year, it was all about live shows for the year, nothing about going in the studio, and trying to find "new" ways of doing the live shows. They just did a bunch of overseas shows, it's probable they'll do a Latin America tour this year, maybe an Asian tour to hit India and Thailand, and the Philippines? They prob. didn't even give the Pacific Islands much thought, but def. should.

Nothing Axl said at the time has changed since then.

If anything this thread shows promoters are still willing to book GNR because they're profitable. Wether GNR sells 1 ticket or 10,000 they still get paid, that simple. It's the promoters who take all of the risk. They're still booking them that means there's a demand and money to be made.

You're correct... if the ave show has an attendance of 6,500 if each person only spent $25 on food and beverage thats $162,500K right there. Promoters aren't stupid and they will make their money. Not every act can draw like the Stones or ACDC but that doesnt mean promoters will turn their nose up to a lesser payday as long as there is a profit to be made.

You can keep marginalizing it all you want. America is the most important market place in the world. Fact.

Fail.

Rammstein (Germany) Opeth (Sweden) Gojira (France) Iron Maiden (UK) - four great bands I've seen live in the past two years who aren't from the U.S.

Keep on deluding yourself. The hard rock/metal scene is stronger outside America than in it. Canada has a better rock scene, but the US? Dead. Dead. Dead.

Edited by kyrie

Has anyone considered that the lower numbers in attendence are also impacted by the UCAP tour which was smaller venues?

That will skew the numbers.

Guns next arena tour in the US should either be a summer shed tour with a strong opening act, or focus on major markets - New York Dallas Boston Chicago Los Angles Toronto Montreal Vancouver Miami Philladelphia.

And that's it. Make it exclusive. At least until an album is out.

Or do some summer festivals.

Has anyone considered that the lower numbers in attendence are also impacted by the UCAP tour which was smaller venues?

That will skew the numbers.

Guns next arena tour in the US (actually North America) should either be a summer shed tour with a strong opening act, or focus on major markets - New York Dallas Boston Chicago Los Angles Toronto Montreal Vancouver Miami Philladelphia.

And that's it. Make it exclusive. At least until an album is out.

Or do some summer festivals.

These numbers are skewed for a number of reasons

-Substantial increase in ticket prices

-Economic downturn

-2002 and 2006 included shows at both MSG and Air Canada Centre which both hold 20,000+ and both sold out; they didn't hit either of these venues in 2011 and only Air Canada in 2010 (which sold out)

-I believe 2006 is counting the KROQ festival

-Different venues/markets played

The reality is that if you go city by city, the results are roughly the same in most markets so long as the venue is the same venue or a comparable one.

GnR won't sell as many tickets in the US unless they release new music that has at least one real hit.

Overseas they still apparently sell pretty well, as fans don't care as much about who is in the band.

If Axl released music like most bands do, I think US attendance would rise.

GnR won't sell as many tickets in the US unless they release new music that has at least one real hit.

Since the attendance didn't drop from 2010 to 2011 one might argue that this is the number of people who will attend the shows just because of the nostalgia factor alone, and this won't drop significantly for quite some time.

Overseas they still apparently sell pretty well, as fans don't care as much about who is in the band.

I do not think that is the only or most important explanation.

If Axl released music like most bands do, I think US attendance would rise.

But you can't expect an old band to release music "like most bands do", because the release frequency of old bands is much lower. You can only expect an old band to release music like old bands do. But I agree that if GN'R released music more frequently it might increase the US attendance (given that the new music connects with the US audiences or that the new music results on band promotion).

Still, $2.6 million GROSS for the 14 date tour in 2012 isn't that good really. Yes, there are other markets of course, but being known as an Amercian band who can't do big business in their home country (One of, if the not THE biggest markets for rock music) must be a bit annoying!

Interested to see the Vegas shows still, wish I could afford to go over and check it out.

These numbers represent the quality of the shows tbh. There was no energy in recent years compared to the 2002 shows. Plus Bucket was a big draw

Well, I saw GNR 3 times. 2006, 2010, 2011. And I have same opinion 2010 and 2011's shows was weaker. Axl loose his interaction with crowd, look tired and don't has a lot charisma. And band also looks like they didn't have anything special to show, I don't say that was bad show but they loose their attitude.

Show in 2006 (with Brain and Finck) was something special, now GNR is just another rock n roll nostalgic act. They don't have anything new to show. And Ashba is the weaker guitarist that I ever seen live in famous band.

Well you have to look at the economic situation as a factor in this too.

well, there are 98 bands and artists out there who are selling more tickets than fakegnr, i don't know what the"economic situation" as to do with that.

Edited by IZZYISGNR

Well you have to look at the economic situation as a factor in this too.

well, there are 98 bands and artists out there who are selling more tickets than fakegnr, i don't know what the"economic situation" as to do with that.

Only 98? Cool. I never would have thought, well done, GN'R!

did someone seriously just argue that bands don't actually want sell-out crowds? holy fuck, the mental gymnastics required to stay a devoted fan of axl rose...

You would be amazed at some of the arguments some of these people will make In order to defend Axl. Kind of like a mother that has a child, and that child grows up and kills 10 people and the mother has a reason as to why each one of those victims deserved to be killed.

did someone seriously just argue that bands don't actually want sell-out crowds? holy fuck, the mental gymnastics required to stay a devoted fan of axl rose...

They want to sell as much as possible. But they prefer to sell 90 % of a large venue compared to 100 % of a small venue. Sorry for confusing you with percentages and shit.

You would be amazed at some of the arguments some of these people will make In order to defend Axl. Kind of like a mother that has a child, and that child grows up and kills 10 people and the mother has a reason as to why each one of those victims deserved to be killed.

I was amazed that you just compared a guy who just wants to tour and make some music to someone who has murdered multiple people...was that your intended argument, or did you screw up somewhere?