Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Duff's bass sound

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06
I feel that Duff's bass sound today is a LOT different from his GN'R days, especially the UYI era. He had a very sludgy, dirty sort of grungy sound with his bass particularly in the UYI era.
Today I feel he has too "clean" a bass sound...Can't explain it but it just doesn't have that sort of "grit". An example of his classic sound:

It had a dirty, yet groovy, sort of sound...Today it's much cleaner and much more "modern" sounding. Anyone else agree and miss his classic sound? I really think Duff was more important to Guns' sound than some realize. His bass had such a unique signature and was very prominent on the old records. Duff's bass sound was so prominent in old GN'R's records that Metallica actually seriously wanted Mike Clink to produce "And Justice for All..." because they'd heard AFD and how powerful the bass sounded in the mix and wanted that heavy bass sound for "And Justice..."
-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN

auad

auad

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 951 posts
  • 20-August 10
i love duff's sound. old and now.
the sound of his bass was SO important to GNR.

MaryLouise

MaryLouise

• Members
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
  • 13-August 12
I've always considered Duff to be the most talented musician in the original lineup.
"I'd like to take this moment to request to our roadies that I really need that bottle of whisky on stage now" - Slash, April 5, 1986 -The Whisky

TeeJay410

TeeJay410

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  • 13-March 06
My favorite Duff bass tone/playing was Contraband era.

Posted Image
Now fully aligned with those who must not be named.

hellobeatle

hellobeatle

Full

• Returned
  • PipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • 24-February 06
It's pretty solid, I always liked it. Mixed punk, funk and rock bass styles into a simple but real melodic sound. He's actually looked over a lot in the bass community IMO - not that I'm a bass player. Had a hell of a lot of chorus effect on his UYI bass playing though.

izzydoezit

izzydoezit

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • 12-April 12
Duff's sound has a lot of Chorus effect in it. That along with his pick technique make up for his great tone. Haven't heard his sound lately. Can you post an example?

AxlisOld

AxlisOld

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 9,012 posts
  • 08-May 05
Step 1: Slather enough chorus on bass to ice a cake.
Step 2: Pick very near the bridge.

duffman.gifstormtrooper.gif
WARNING: Consumption of alcoholic beverages will MAKE YOU AWESOME

31illusions

31illusions

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,638 posts
  • 10-September 07

Duff's sound has a lot of Chorus effect in it. That along with his pick technique make up for his great tone

This is true.

Posted Image

GUNS N' ROSES

MEXzilla

MEXzilla

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 949 posts
  • 16-May 12
Dont Cry is enough to solidify his greatness and no one can do dangerous sound like Duff can.

James Bond

James Bond

• Members
  • 7,385 posts
  • 19-December 04
Duff has changed up his tone quite frequently. On Appetite it was a fairly thick, but clean tone. A little grit but that was more because he was probably picking hard. If you check out the multitracks for Jungle you can see (hear, rather) what I mean. It's got balls but is clear enough that you hear every note. He cranked the chorus to 11 for the Illusions but still maintained that bottom end. Truly a great bass tone and very distinctive. Nowadays his tone with Velvet Revolver and so forth has been like a modern version of his Appetite tone. Less chorus, a little more drive, and still balls to the walls.

5206.jpg

Toronto 2006 - Hamilton 2010 & 2011 - Buffalo 2013

sweetness

sweetness

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 14,728 posts
  • 01-February 06

My favorite Duff bass tone/playing was Contraband era.

Same here, it was great on UYI too.

Lately he's just been adjusting his tone to fit into individual songs, for example his part in Gravedancer wouldn't sound nearly as good if he was using as much gain as he did throughout UYI and Contraband

Edited by sweetness, 01 November 2012 - 02:54 PM.

Posted Image

justmike66

justmike66

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts
  • 03-July 10
i recall appetite was due to klink as far as bass tone/sound ... i love his tone on UYI especially locomotive

Nosaj Thing

Nosaj Thing

最期の終止符

• Supporters
  • 12,894 posts
  • 28-January 11
Yeah, his tone was definitely great.

qlq4.jpg

dalsh327

dalsh327

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 10,423 posts
  • 12-December 08
Bassists never gets respect unless it's Geddy and Les or the jazz & funk players. But you have all sorts of bass frontmen and guys who play it like a lead guitar.

dalsh327

dalsh327

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 10,423 posts
  • 12-December 08

i recall appetite was due to klink as far as bass tone/sound ... i love his tone on UYI especially locomotive

I think in that case it was just making sure Duff didn't get buried in the mix and some discussions on how to make it sound, but doubt it was anything in depth. I'm sure Duff's done interviews about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users