Why do people like Pearl Jam so much

Dan H.

Go see them live. Either you'll hate them less or like them more. They give you variety and usually a 3 hour show on average. Might be too much for some people to tolerate, but the shows seemed to go pretty fast. It's just them, no opening act.

You wouldn't say they sucked if you saw them. You might say it goes on for too long sometimes, and Vedder needs to shut up and sing sometimes, but I think he's pretty personable as a frontman, and kind of goofy at times. I don't judge bands until I've seen them, and thought even if I hadn't known any of the songs, it was a good show.

Everyone who likes them usually saw them in concert. It's like talking about Tom Petty or Springsteen - the albums can be hit and miss, but the shows are always good.

Metallica - I've never really been a big fan of theirs, and they kind of bored me, I'd prob. feel differently if I saw them earlier on. Saw them late in the game, unfortunately. Felt Pantera was way better than 'tallica, but again, one band in their prime vs one past theirs...

Guest Len B'stard

Basically they're the shitbag easy listening band of grunge. Most of grunge was shitbag easy listening anyway aside from a few key bands but PJ epitomise what is more or less like, the classic rockifying of grunge, which it really didn't need cuz it was fairly close to the southern fried Lynrd Skynrd shit to begin with.

PJ are basically an easy to swallow well polished mainstream representation of what was supposed to be an alternative movement, which is why people flock to em in the same way they always flock to the made to measure tailored for success bands that come in when the goings good.

Pearl Jam are just awful patronising tripe, run of the mill music for run of the mill people that all wanna dress the same, look the same and listen to music that honestly, after a couple of sounds sounds so relentlessly samey that it's like sticking your ear to a food mixer and listening to it go NEEEEEEEEEUUUUGGHH (now remember kids, thats NEEEEEEEUUUGHH :lol:).

Fuckin' horrible band though, just awful and pretty fairly fuckin' symtomatic of the problem with this whole grunge fuckin' genre, it's one of those movements that was just bound for shite-ness, every decent movement needs at least 3 of it's big bands to be exceptional (i.e. beatles, stones and who), the main flagship bands of grunge, the only decent ones were Nirvana and Mudhoney and Mudhoney you could argue never got quite big enough.

I don't like Pearl Jam much, but they're light years better than Nirvana.

Just like fucking Barney's Sing-a-Longs are light years ahead of Led Zeppelin? Wow man, if you're going to follow everyone around and talk trash about Nirvana, at least have the courtesy to have a decent music taste.

Even Barney's lyrics are more mature than Cobain's drug-induced, pseudo-adolescent cries for help.

Basically they're the shitbag easy listening band of grunge. Most of grunge was shitbag easy listening anyway aside from a few key bands but PJ epitomise what is more or less like, the classic rockifying of grunge, which it really didn't need cuz it was fairly close to the southern fried Lynrd Skynrd shit to begin with.

PJ are basically an easy to swallow well polished mainstream representation of what was supposed to be an alternative movement, which is why people flock to em in the same way they always flock to the made to measure tailored for success bands that come in when the goings good.

Pearl Jam are just awful patronising tripe, run of the mill music for run of the mill people that all wanna dress the same, look the same and listen to music that honestly, after a couple of sounds sounds so relentlessly samey that it's like sticking your ear to a food mixer and listening to it go NEEEEEEEEEUUUUGGHH (now remember kids, thats NEEEEEEEUUUGHH :lol:).

Fuckin' horrible band though, just awful and pretty fairly fuckin' symtomatic of the problem with this whole grunge fuckin' genre, it's one of those movements that was just bound for shite-ness, every decent movement needs at least 3 of it's big bands to be exceptional (i.e. beatles, stones and who), the main flagship bands of grunge, the only decent ones were Nirvana and Mudhoney and Mudhoney you could argue never got quite big enough.

you just described nirvana and kurt cobain , a guy that wanted simple songs like nursery rhymes.

To each their own. Pearl Jam is amazing. I can just as easily ask why people like Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd. Some Pearl Jam fans may ask why people like Guns 'N Roses. It's all a matter of personal preference. There are some people on this forum who actually like CD more than Nevermind. Go figure.

They're so bland and boring.

Almost worse than Metallica as far as bad bands go.

Seriously though, Pearl Jam is one of the worst bands of all time, how is it possible that so many people on this forum enjoy them?

:shrugs:

To me they are the opposite of "bland" and "boring".

They put on amazing live shows, their records are all great and varied, they have a great fan club, etc.