Why do people like Pearl Jam so much

Dan H.

They're so bland and boring.

Almost worse than Metallica as far as bad bands go.

Seriously though, Pearl Jam is one of the worst bands of all time, how is it possible that so many people on this forum enjoy them?

http://www.mygnrforum.com/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/shrugs.gif

Lol.

In the Kayne read topic you call people that don't like your favorite artist close minded dipshits. But here you start a topic just to bash a band that has a huge following and was also pretty critically acclaimed and respected.

It's funny how you and a few others operate in the music topics. You act like your musical taste is a level above the common man's. You guys know The Truth about music and anybody that disagrees are just close minded dipshits.

Talk about being close minded and not accepting or having tolerance for other people's opinions.

I was like that as well......when I was 13. Then I grew up and realized just because I loved something didn't mean it was better or worse than what other people loved. And I saw how silly people look that think their tastes are better than other people's.

This was YEARS ago, and i was a much bigger asshole. I grew up a little and learned a little, and now i dont post threads like this anymore. i mean sure, you win
Didn't you say that anybody who hates Kanye is racist a few months ago? :lol:

*hides*

What if you call him a black cunt, does that make you racist? :lol: Kanye West is a black cunt. And what? :lol: And you're a fat white cunt :lol:
I thought I said people who hate rap as a genre are subliminaly racist.
Ah, yeah that was it. :D

Anyone can like anything regardless of their background and surroundings

Right but at the same time certain people respond to certain things in music or they have certain ideas about what is or isn't musical...and this informs their taste. And the fact is the vast majority of my old mans generation that I've come across in this country think rap is a load of bollocks and rappers look and act like twats. The universiality of music does not negate the specifics of certain cultural experiences and how they don't always prime you for a particular kind of thing.

Ask McLeod, ask Dies', take a fuckin' rap album to a bunch of blokes in their mid to late 50s in Middlesborough or Newcastle and get em to listen to Bobby Shmurda. CAN they like it? Sure, anybody can like anything. Is it likely? Afraid not.

Whatever it is in a person's brain that has the potential to relate to a specific piece of music is already there.

If you say so, i wouldn't like to commit one way or another to a statement like that, it's possible I suppose.

It helps when you are familiar with a certain sound, that's true, but it's not crucial.

Familiarity of sound has a LOT to do with it. Especially when you are talking genres like punk or hip hop which can be very reductive musically, stripping music down to it's bare bones and emphasising certain very basic element and eschewing melody etc, that to some people just isn't musical and isn't appealing to their ears. I keep using my old man cuz he's a convenient example but...I play him something like Sam Cooke, it immediately makes sense to him, play him some classical music, it immediately makes sense to him...because to him music is in melody, two chords repeated over and over in down-strums is just a cacophony to him. A thumping beat with the same little phrased looped over and over to him just a thudding sound. It's not that he's not aware of how it's music, it just not musical to him, it's cheap and reductive and unappealing. Add to that the general demeanour and self aggrandising nature of hip hop and you have a reciepe for shit he ain't gonna swallow.

And as i sit here i see about 4 guys across the road outside a deli that i can guarantee you, for a mathematical certainty, wouldn't like hip hop. Based on who they are and their particular cultural experience.

McLeod, do you think your Nans generation, or anyone from it is at all likely to get down to Straight Outta Compton? :lol:

Let me clarify, it's not the people who dislike rap, it's the people who outwardly hate the whole genre.

Like the whole "rap music crap music". Really it's not terribly different from some kinds of rock music.

I got people who listen to Rage Against the Machine and then turn around and say that Eminem is terrible because rap is all about "bitches and hoes" and is disrespectful music :lol:

I mean if you give the genre a fair shot and STILL can't find something you enjoy with it, I guess that's just you then. I find that so hard to believe given the diversity of the genre, but whatever

I think maybe my favorite thing about rap music is that historically it is giving a voice to a part of culture that a lot of people, including myself, took for granted. I think rap is all the more interesting if you didn't grow up in a culture that makes it easy to immediately enjoy

Edited by Dan H.

So if i despise Metal as a genre d'ya reckon i might be subconciously prejudice against white people? :lol:

No, but you're smart enough that I know you're aware that rap is attached to a more definitive cultural ideology than metal ever was. :P