Monster Magnet

Jabberwocky

Biggest fan on this forum, for sure. This is my favourite band. Going to see the spine of god concert in december. Extremely underrated band.

My fav album is Superjudge.

That'd be my next favorite and they are criminally underrated. Have you heard any of the demo tapes made in 89/90? Or Wyndorf's old power punk band Shrapnel. I can hook you up with them if you want. PM me and I'll give you the links.

I like Monster Magnet. My favorite is Powertrip. I have seen Monster Magnet quite a few times in Detroit. Met the drummer and guitar player after a show last time I saw them at the Filmore (used to be State Theater) years back during the Monolithic Baby album tour. Another band was the headliner and I was at the bar and the guys showed up to get a drink. I also saw Monster Magnet during the God Says No album tour at St. Andrews Theater. They were amazing live each time I have seen them. Dave lit his guitar on fire I remember smelling the lighter fluid at St. Andrews show. Then they put it out with fire later.

Edited by rocker rockstar

Surprising you said they were terrible because when I saw them in the 2000s they were amazing live. Maybe you saw an off night or maybe MM got better live. I have seen the band live at least 3 times. I know the line up changed some between God Says No and Monolithic Baby but they were amazing every time. They really impressed me with their live show.

Surprising you said they were terrible because when I saw them in the 2000s they were amazing live. Maybe you saw an off night or maybe MM got better live.

All I remember is Wyndorf screaming his ass off with no tune or melody.

Watching some of their videos on YouTube now...Negasonic Teenage Warhead isn't bad.

Poor Dave looks like HELL these days.

Yeah I noticed Dave does not look as good now days. I know in 2007 or so they were really great live and Dave did great and he was in shape. I know Dave gained some weight and he is looking older now. I know his singing went down hill when Mastermind came out I looked at some live videos on youtube and thought wow Dave does not sound as good. Hope he turned it around since then. Dave used to have a lot of energy on stage when I seen him before he put a lot of effort in to it. I am sure old age caught up to him and slowed him down.

Yeah I noticed Dave does not look as good no days. I know in 2007 or so they were really great live and Dave did great and he was in shape. I know Dave gained some weight and he is looking older now. I know his singing went down hill when Mastermind came out I looked at some live videos on youtube and thought wow Dave does not sound as good. Hope he turned it around since then.

I might pick up some of their older stuff and give them a chance.

Saw them open for Aerosmith in '98...they were terrible live.

I still dig "Space Lord" though.

Nonsense. Monster Magnet is one of the best live bands there is. I haven't seen one bad concert by them, and I went to every concert in my country since 2003. Last year was the "Dopes To Inifinity"-tour, this year I'll see the "Spine Of God"-tour. I am 100% sure it will be great again. It is also refreshing to see that they are slowly playing bigger venues again since the unfortunate overdose of Dave Wyndorf. And about his voice: you have to be there, in the flesh. Have you heard how Axl sounds on a youtube-recording? AWFUL. Live it is way better. I have seen them about 7 times or so.

Their latest album, "Mastermind", is awesome. "God Says No" and "4-Way Diablo" aren't very good, though. They never even played ANY song of the latter live, not even when they were touring at the time it just came out, so I guess they agree about that one. All the rest of their albums are awsome.

LOVE monster magnet. have been very sad that they primarily play overseas. haven't gotten to see them live since the 90s. powertrip is my favorite album, but i love them all. one of my favorite bands for sure. still pumpking out great new music too IMO. i thought mastermind was great.

That probably has something to do with the fact that they are well respected in Europe. They have always played sold out shows, in my experience.

They are playing some select dates in the US this year:

SPINE OF GOD 20th Anniversary Tour - US 2012

12/14/12 Brooklyn, New York Music Hall of Williamsburg USA

12/15/12 Sayreville, New Jersey Starland Ballroom USA

12/16/12 Philadelphia, PA Trocadero 8:00pm USA

It's the spine of god + hits they'll be playing and for post-powertrip fans, it might be... weird. :shrugs:

Edited by st0n3r

Surprising you said they were terrible because when I saw them in the 2000s they were amazing live. Maybe you saw an off night or maybe MM got better live.

All I remember is Wyndorf screaming his ass off with no tune or melody.

Watching some of their videos on YouTube now...Negasonic Teenage Warhead isn't bad.

Poor Dave looks like HELL these days.

Negasonic Teenage Warhead is my favorite MM song. Don't know how it wasn't a commercial success.

Monster Magnet is the godfather of stoner rock. They have a varied catalog though, not everything they did fits that label.

so far i listened to stuff off powertrip and dopes to infinity, some good stuff reminds me alot of kyuss i got to check out their other stuff quite liking it

negasonic was actually MM's first hit, cracking the top 20 on rock radio.

i still prefer the SFW version to the album version.

it's the song that made me a MM fan and SFW is how i discovered the song.

Negasonic should have been considered a landmark 90's rock song.

To be honest I really didn't like Powertrip when it first came out because it seemed like a step down from Dopes To Infinity which is a very experimental and eclectic record. Powertrip was like all of the stoney goodness was sucked out just so they could be an amped up version of The Stooges. It took many years for me to finally appreciate Powertrip because it was a really good heavy rock record. Still though I'd like it if they went back to a Spine Of God/Tab psychedelic sound once in a while.

• 5 months later...

Haha, I already made many threads about this band. They are my favourite.

About God Says No: I like the title song, but i honestly think the album is the worst album this band made, closely followed by 4-way-diablo. Luckily, their latest effort, Mastermind, was awesome. After the concert at the end of last year, I hang out a bit with the new lead guitar player, and he told me the new album they are working on is going to be "totally out there". I guess we will have to wait and see, but if its anything in the line of Mastermind, Im in!

Edited by st0n3r