Bands That You Wish Never Broke Up

Jabberwocky

It sucks when a band that you like calls it quits. So what bands do you wish had never broke up?

NOTE: Don't list bands who broke up but later reformed. No bands on that "indefinite hiatus" bullshit. One off shows are OK but no reunion tours.

Mine:

Lush

Barkmarket

Memory As Perfection

Nirvana

Unrest

Velocity Girl

Led Zeppelin

Forced Entry

White Zombie

My Sister's Machine

Parliament-Funkadelic

Galactic Cowboys

Babes In Toyland

Minor Threat

Deee-Lite

Hinoi Team

The Obsessed

Black Flag

Saigon Kick

T-Ride

Letters To Cleo

Rage Against the Machine

Pink Floyd

Led Zeppelin

Johnny Winter And............with Rick Derringer

Creedance Clearwater Revival

Black Sabbath Ozzy era

Genesis...Peter Gabriel era

Yes with Jon Anderson and Rick Wakeman

ELP

King Crimson...Larks Tongue era band

Dokken w/ George Lynch

David Bowie Ziggy Stardust band...sadly Mick Ronson RIP

Rolling Stones with Mick Taylor...although I do love Woody........

Sly and the Family Stone

Ten Years After

and of course AFD era Guns............

Edited by classicrawker

woods of ypres

celtic frost

thin lizzy(lynott era)

candlemass(supposedly released last album this year :(

original gnr

rainbow

bathory

diamond/denner/shermann/hansen/ruzz era mercyful fate

dio era sabbath

pantera

norther

the one that really sucks is demolition hammer

they made 2 amazing thrash albums in the 90s and then split

Pure Reason Revolution. The fact they had to call it a day represents everything that's wrong with the modern music industry.

Pendulum

Fleetwood Mac (Rumours/Tango in the Night-era)

I wish Killswitch Engage hadn't kicked Howard Jones out and brough back Jesse Leach.

I don't see the point in bands breaking up. If things aren't working out, just go on an indefinite hiatus. Who's to say in a few years you won't feel different?

its what mercyful fate did, they did their own thing but reunited 9 years later. i wish the original gnr would have done the same thing, took a break did their own creative wishes and then come back together with a different state of mind

Edited by bran

The Police

Dire Straits

I love Dire Straits to bits, but if they hadn't broken up then Mark Knopfler might not have ventured into the wonderful world of traditional Scots music and might not have made "Get Lucky" which is my favourite thing he's ever done...

Guns N Roses

Soundgarden

Stone Temple Pilots

Alice In Chains

Rage Against The Machine

Toadies

White Zombie

Motley Crue

Van Halen (if Roth Never left)

Nirvana

Bush (if their lead guitarist never left)

Sublime

Megadeth (if the band stayed the same as Countdown that would have been cool)

Metallica (wonder what if they did not lose Cliff)

Loved Audioslave but would have rather had Soundgarden and Rage not breakup

I don't see the point in bands breaking up. If things aren't working out, just go on an indefinite hiatus. Who's to say in a few years you won't feel different?

its what mercyful fate did, they did their own thing but reunited 9 years later. i wish the original gnr would have done the same thing, took a break did their own creative wishes and then come back together with a different state of mind

+1

Guest Len B'stard

I'm fine with each bands natural shelf life, as far as i see it when a band get to a place where they're gonna break up, it's usually for a reason and if they were to stick together despite that shit, the work tends to suffer. Often i think bands break up for bitchy reasons but the core thing behind it all usually is that that same magic ain't there anymore.

Guest Len B'stard

I remember John Lennon saying in an interview in regards to why didn't they carry on/why don't they reform and it was put to him that you sort of owe it to your own audience if it's out there to give them this thing that you have, this gift and Lennons response was something like didn't we give you every goddamn thing in the world already, while everybody else were busy being young men and doing all the things that young men do, growing up and so forth, coming of age, while everyone else was doing that we were working flat out, pretty much from our mid teens onwards on this whole band thing, now you could turn around and say to that yeah boo hoo, Mr Millionaire mourns his lost youth spent as one of the four kings of London back in the 60s but he's got a fair point, i think. The Beatles kinda ate his youth up, he was 30 when he started doing his solo shit, or thereabouts. I'm sure he was grateful for what he got too but at the same time thats a lot of fuckin' graft and it weren't all private jets and Don Perrignon in them days, fuckin' driving around England with Mal Evans in a knackered old van, doing a gig down south then driving up north just to get another one in that evening, it was constant fucking graft for them, even by the time they were famous, it was a fucking hard slog. And the pressures and demands, y'know, you couldn't ponce about for 15 years making Chinese Loadoffuckin'bollocksocracy in them days, you were paid to work for a fucking living.

The whole thing with Imelda Marcos was pretty much largely to do with them putting their foot down in regards to the issue of having a day, just one day, one fuckin' day off. I can't imagine what it must be like when MILLIONS of people want this thing from you that you do, they feed off of it, it must be so fucking draining.

Also, when there's no prescedent for the types of audiences they were pulling, which there weren't in them days, you're kinda the first one doing it, it must be stressful as fuck. Those boys really worked for a living, it's why i don't begrudge their breaking up, to me it's just like, fuck, thanks for showing up at all lads, bless you all :)

Edited by sugaraylen

The Police

Dire Straits

I love Dire Straits to bits, but if they hadn't broken up then Mark Knopfler might not have ventured into the wonderful world of traditional Scots music and might not have made "Get Lucky" which is my favourite thing he's ever done...

I disagree. I generally like his post Dire Straits music but there's very little of it that I love. With the band (even if some of the guys are still there) he challenged himself more, with his solo stuff it sounds like he took an early retirement and he's just talking it easy. I understand it from his point of view, but I would have liked to hear more of Love Over Gold and Brothers In Arms, even On Every Street.

That said, I do like Get Lucky too, the title track is one of my MK favorites (and that is including Dire Straits).

I remember John Lennon saying in an interview in regards to why didn't they carry on/why don't they reform and it was put to him that you sort of owe it to your own audience if it's out there to give them this thing that you have, this gift and Lennons response was something like didn't we give you every goddamn thing in the world already, while everybody else were busy being young men and doing all the things that young men do, growing up and so forth, coming of age, while everyone else was doing that we were working flat out, pretty much from our mid teens onwards on this whole band thing, now you could turn around and say to that yeah boo hoo, Mr Millionaire mourns his lost youth spent as one of the four kings of London back in the 60s but he's got a fair point, i think. The Beatles kinda ate his youth up, he was 30 when he started doing his solo shit, or thereabouts. I'm sure he was grateful for what he got too but at the same time thats a lot of fuckin' graft and it weren't all private jets and Don Perrignon in them days, fuckin' driving around England with Mal Evans in a knackered old van, doing a gig down south then driving up north just to get another one in that evening, it was constant fucking graft for them, even by the time they were famous, it was a fucking hard slog. And the pressures and demands, y'know, you couldn't ponce about for 15 years making Chinese Loadoffuckin'bollocksocracy in them days, you were paid to work for a fucking living.

The whole thing with Imelda Marcos was pretty much largely to do with them putting their foot down in regards to the issue of having a day, just one day, one fuckin' day off. I can't imagine what it must be like when MILLIONS of people want this thing from you that you do, they feed off of it, it must be so fucking draining.

Also, when there's no prescedent for the types of audiences they were pulling, which there weren't in them days, you're kinda the first one doing it, it must be stressful as fuck. Those boys really worked for a living, it's why i don't begrudge their breaking up, to me it's just like, fuck, thanks for showing up at all lads, bless you all :)

There was also the whole accountability thing. John was doing things the other three had to answer for. George becoming a really good songwriter but still having to meet John and Paul's approval, and just being drawn to other things, whether it was bonding with Clapton, Ravi Shankar or Dylan.

If you look at the songs that came out of the Get Back sessions, it's pretty staggering how many they did in one month. There's something like 40 or 50, some used on the solo albums. It wasn't like they weren't productive.