VH1 Behind the Music

cooker

Axl does not like any press that has anything to do with the old band. To say the least he was upset with a lot of the people they interview so there is no way he was going to be happy with it. I was going to be interviewed for it and got a call from Del at the last minute telling me not to do it. I said there is nothing that I could say that would be bad. I think that Axl didn't want anybody creditable speaking. I think he didn't want to help them in anyway. So in the end it ended up being a one sided story. I would have been the one that would have defended AXl if needed.

Do you regret Axl now allowing you to do it? I think you could have added a lot to it.

I was not upset with Axl I don't even know if he knew that my name was on the list to be interviewed. It could have been Del and Beta doing what they thought was the right thing to do. Axl may have been upset that I helped them. A lot of times this kind of stuff gets intercepted before Axl even sees it. I would have liked to say some things about the band. I may have been the only one who would tell the story the right way. Everyone else was angry at each other and had a one side story to tell that only blames Axl. I would have gave both sides.

Edited by recklessroad

Axl does not like any press that has anything to do with the old band. To say the least he was upset with a lot of the people they interview so there is no way he was going to be happy with it. I was going to be interviewed for it and got a call from Del at the last minute telling me not to do it. I said there is nothing that I could say that would be bad. I think that Axl didn't want anybody creditable speaking. I think he didn't want to help them in anyway. So in the end it ended up being a one sided story. I would have been the one that would have defended AXl if needed.

I've shown the episode to many non GNR fans over the years and they all agree it's one of the best Behind The Musics...

What exactly was one sided about it in your opinion? It's Axl's own fault he didn't participate in it, but with that said I don't recall anything in the broadcast that was unfair or not true.

I've shown the episode to many non GNR fans over the years and they all agree it's one of the best Behind The Musics...

What exactly was one sided about it in your opinion? It's Axl's own fault he didn't participate in it, but with that said I don't recall anything in the broadcast that was unfair or not true.

I have not seen it in many years but I do remember there being a few things that could have had some response to why they took place.

You may not have made it on the air. Tracii Guns did an interview in 2008 saying he was interviewed for this and they cut him out because he had good things to say about Axl. The interview is up on HTGTH, but I'm not sure if we're allowed to link them here. Here is the quote:

"I was interviewed for the GnR behind the music,, before i did the interview I called Slash and left a message to see if he was doing the interview. He called me back and said Tracii? I said "Yes" he said " Oh I have the wrong number" and hung up on me,,, What a fucking dick ,,, hahahahahahahahaha... I then reluctantly did the interview(Which cut into my only day off in NYC) becasue my manager insisted that I do it,,, Then they ended up not using even one second of my interview so, VH1 has about 2-3 hours of me talking about GnR and nu GnR and all things GnR, that no one will probably ever see probably because I had some really good things to say about AXL and if you saw it, it ended seeming like a promo for VR."

You may not have made it on the air. Tracii Guns did an interview in 2008 saying he was interviewed for this and they cut him out because he had good things to say about Axl. The interview is up on HTGTH, but I'm not sure if we're allowed to link them here. Here is the quote:

"I was interviewed for the GnR behind the music,, before i did the interview I called Slash and left a message to see if he was doing the interview. He called me back and said Tracii? I said "Yes" he said " Oh I have the wrong number" and hung up on me,,, What a fucking dick ,,, hahahahahahahahaha... I then reluctantly did the interview(Which cut into my only day off in NYC) becasue my manager insisted that I do it,,, Then they ended up not using even one second of my interview so, VH1 has about 2-3 hours of me talking about GnR and nu GnR and all things GnR, that no one will probably ever see probably because I had some really good things to say about AXL and if you saw it, it ended seeming like a promo for VR."

Fuck, i wanna see this

I'd guess it got cut because he's a very small part of the story. He was around for a few months and then had nothing to do with GNR, right? It would've taken more time to explain who he was and why he left then anything relevant he would have to share imo.

• 2 years later...

Hey Marc,

I checked to see if anyone has asked about the Guns N' Roses episode of VH1 Behind the Music, it doesn't look like anyone has.

Did you know about the Behind the Music episode while it was being made? What was Axl's reaction to the episode after it was aired? Do you know why VH1 chose who to interview outside of the former band members? Finally were you asked to participate, and if so why did you decline?

I'd guess it got cut because he's a very small part of the story. He was around for a few months and then had nothing to do with GNR, right? It would've taken more time to explain who he was and why he left then anything relevant he would have to share imo.

i believe in more sinister reasoning being the higher ups behind closed doors wanting to punish axl for not reuniting and creating a gold mine for everyone