The Richest Lead Singers in the World

Snowmass

Jon Bon Jovi has been recording and touring (sold out tours) for 25+ years. Axl had the 1987-1993 run.....which makes it amazing that he's so high on the list. Says a lot about Guns' popularity back in the day. Can you say "There Was A Time"?

And out of those 25 years of recording, what do you think the casual person, hell, the casual rock fan can name?

Living on a Prayer, You Give Love a Bad Name, Dead or Alive.

I'm willing to bet that the UYIs were more successful than any Bon Jovi album aside from Slippery When Wet.

Bon Jovi toured more than GNR (NJ tour and Slippery went over 200, UYI tour was just under 200) but if McGhee took 20 percent from Bon Jovi, it's hard to say if they made more money over Guns, esp. if Doug Goldstein had been promoted from within. I think Bon Jovi and GNR towards the end of the Illusions tour and New Jersey tour were faced with the same dilemma of what was next. Bon Jovi was able to have hits in the 90s, but they were losing people at the shows and had to scale down. I will say this - Jon prob. saw and heard what was coming long before any of us did, as far as modern rock goes. I don't think he was surprised by Nirvana's success at all. Some people think rockers live in the past, in ivory towers, but they're a competitive bunch into their 50s and 60s, and look forward to new blood for the challenge.

Springsteen plays festivals because it gives him access to live music and an audience that he wants to win over. Axl's the same way - he's not playing the songs to people who saw GNR back in the day, but to the people who never got to see them, or at least try to win those old fans over with the current lineup.

Axl does need to challenge himself and put the new music out there, but like Pete Townshend said, "why bother if they're going to take it for free?" He still creates new music, but it's not what pays the bills. Bruce made enough money in publishing and touring to never work again, but he still lives for the limelight and kicking the crowd's asses. Axl sees someone like Springsteen and has to feel he's far from over. Rockers are pushing it into their 70s, so they might be long in the tooth, but if the band sounds good and they can more or less sing the songs, they'll keep doing it.

Maybe Jon Bon Jovi or Gene Simmons doesn't like how Axl Rose does things, but you have people like Billy Corgan who's in his shoes and can relate to what Axl was doing. He had just as much of a mess with his band, I mean, he had a band member die of a drug overdose, which fortunately didn't happen to GNR but could have. D'arcy and Jimmy were just as bad as Slash, Duff, and Izzy. Jon thinks of the music business over the art.

Axl - is prob. somewhere in the middle, but he doesn't have Jon's business sense and is more like Prince in that regard, where they live in their own time zones and don't always make the best decisions, and they both get too wrapped up in legalese. Prince and Axl could prob. talk for days about chemtrails, conspiracy theories, and how messed up the music industry is right now, and they really do things similar as far as band management and tours go. Both are still giving people great shows, but Prince will still do more promoting and calling up stations than Axl does.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a few of those numbers seem wrong... I cant imagine gene simmons being that high, even though his life is basically a business. Maybe 1/5 of that but not 300mil. grohl's figure seems to be a little high too. Even with nirvana royalties and foo fighters ect.. I think ozzy seems to undervalued though, as does bob dylan and the guys from the who.

Nirvana's still making millions in t-shirt sales and royalties, the songs get licensed out from time to time ,like in The Muppets, but Grohl prob gave "Smells Like Teen Spirit" for cheap, being he was doing a cameo appearance. In the "Back and Forth" documentary, he lives in Virginia and they recorded in Dave's house, they usually come close to selling out arenas, and he's the de facto frontman for the band, but prob. prefers working as a band and not doing the one man thing. Prob the demos are, but the band puts their spin on it.

Dave can't laugh at band lineup changes in GNR, because he's had as many in the Foos, and was almost fired from Nirvana.

I wonder what their source is for all of this info?

:sleeper:

Yeah fuck critical thinking man, that shit is pointless

No it's not, they calculate it by record sales, royalty and merchandising payments, dividends, property values, known assets and taxation records. People actually sit there and calculate this stuff. They could probably spend their time doing something more meaningful, but whatever? The thing it doesn't take into account is their spending. People spend money and celebrities have much higher expenses than we do, god knows Axl does, so I don't think any of it is accurate.

I wonder what their source is for all of this info?

:sleeper:

Yeah fuck critical thinking man, that shit is pointless

No it's not, they calculate it by record sales, royalty and merchandising payments, dividends, property values, known assets and taxation records. People actually sit there and calculate this stuff. They could probably spend their time doing something more meaningful, but whatever? The thing it doesn't take into account is their spending. People spend money and celebrities have much higher expenses than we do, god knows Axl does, so I don't think any of it is accurate.

I was being sarcastic with my last post lol but yeah I agree with you, there is a lot of calculating and is intresting but I don't take it as accurate in the slightest

Edited by WhazUp