"Better" music video leak discussion - DISCUSSION ONLY

ceres

• Replies 757
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some neat things I've thought of regarding the video:

-The video for "Paradise City" climaxes with the band performing at Donington in 1988.

-The video for "Better" climaxes with the band performing at Donington in 2006.

-During the actual performance of "Better" at Donington in 2006, Axl stood in one place for the whole performance in response to Tommy getting hit with a bottle.

It seems like an unfinished version with the lyrics and the singing not quite lined up at some points, the jumping/dancing movements during the metal breakdown in the middle could have been more in time to the music etc.

But I found it quite entertaining with the backstage stuff and the band comes across really likable and the camaraderie is great. There's a sense of fun about the whole thing which would have been a great way to introduce the band again to the world.

The band members being named explicitly might seem like an amateurish move but it would have made sense to do that to invite people who had no or little experience of GNR-post 1993 to become familiar with the guys. Buckethead's addition raised challenges because he never did the song live with them but its a very positive thing that he was included.

very bad video compared to the ones made by the real gnr

it looks so amateurish, like everything related to fakegnr

Helllo. I wash rinse and repeat everything every other negative asshole says. Nice to meet you.

Dude, go watch Paradise City, then watch this. It follows almost the exact same fucking formula. Get your head out of your ass and your life out of your parents' basement.

great post :thumbsup:

But the same recipe leads to a fundamentally different dish when it's done by an chef and an amateur. Of course it's the same principle, nothing to say against that. It's just badly done. I guess it's just a test, a visualization how the finished product SHOULD have looked.

So, then it's not really about the type of video? It's about the band?

Really, this isn't any different conceptually than the "Dead Horse" video, which was a live/rehearsal footage video done by the old band.

Ali

Hi Ali,seems some can't do without their daily drama and dose of negativity.

There is no pleasing some people,nothing .will ever measure up to their unjustified and unrealistic expectations.

Funny how some of the most rabid ones either weren't around for the earlier lineup,and have never seen the current lineup live,basing their almighty opinions on Utube videos

No, it's not about the band. It's just a cinematically bad video , that's what I meant with test - a test version by a cinematics company. Nothing bad about the concept of a performance/backstage video, I love it. But it has to be done properly. And while "Paradise City" had quality footage, good editing, rhythm, vibe and style, the "Better" video lacks all of it. Not the bands fault, though, of course.

But expecting such basic craftmanship in a video is neither "unjustified" nor "unrealistic". A great band like Guns deserves great videos, made by good creative artists. And this video doesn't fulfill these standards - which very well may be the reason it never saw the light of day. Which would make the Guns camp a place of rabid negativity...

Edited by Schwarzgold

Axl also clearly stated he hated all the old epic videos.

What? Where was this?

The only way I can imagine him saying this is because the old band is there.

well if I remember correctly, he said he found them "corny." I guess that's not the same as hate, etc. but you get the picture. It was on the Eddie Trunk interview from 2006.

What? Where was this?

Axl didn't say that he hated the epic videos. He just said that now he finds them corny. Nothing to do with the old band.

What? Where was this?

Axl didn't say that he hated the epic videos. He just said that now he finds them corny. Nothing to do with the old band.

Ok, but being that he said that, one could hardly expect something in the vein of NR or Estranged, which is why people who bitch about not getting that make me mad. Dude, he TOLD you he wasn't into that anymore!

very bad video compared to the ones made by the real gnr

it looks so amateurish, like everything related to fakegnr

Helllo. I wash rinse and repeat everything every other negative asshole says. Nice to meet you.

Dude, go watch Paradise City, then watch this. It follows almost the exact same fucking formula. Get your head out of your ass and your life out of your parents' basement.

great post :thumbsup:

But the same recipe leads to a fundamentally different dish when it's done by an chef and an amateur. Of course it's the same principle, nothing to say against that. It's just badly done. I guess it's just a test, a visualization how the finished product SHOULD have looked.

So, then it's not really about the type of video? It's about the band?

Really, this isn't any different conceptually than the "Dead Horse" video, which was a live/rehearsal footage video done by the old band.

Ali

Hi Ali,seems some can't do without their daily drama and dose of negativity.

There is no pleasing some people,nothing .will ever measure up to their unjustified and unrealistic expectations.

Funny how some of the most rabid ones either weren't around for the earlier lineup,and have never seen the current lineup live,basing their almighty opinions on Utube videos

No, it's not about the band. It's just a cinematically bad video , that's what I meant with test - a test version by a cinematics company. Nothing bad about the concept of a performance/backstage video, I love it. But it has to be done properly. And while "Paradise City" had quality footage, good editing, rhythm, vibe and style, the "Better" video lacks all of it. Not the bands fault, though, of course.

But expecting such basic craftmanship in a video is neither "unjustified" nor "unrealistic". A great band like Guns deserves great videos, made by good creative artists. And this video doesn't fulfill these standards - which very well may be the reason it never saw the light of day. Which would make the Guns camp a place of rabid negativity...

Maybe why that was why it was abandoned? I'll give you this much,you are sensible and coherent,but I hardly see the Guns camp as a place for rabid negativity.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Lol at the people complaining about the video and comparing it to Paradise City. You've got to remember this hasn't been released (for a reason)... If it was released by the band as a finished product, then yea I could understand the complaints from those who didn't like it.

But fact is this is a leak..

Well this is rather sad...

Obviously the video was made to fit with the album release but I guess it wasn't released because Robin left the band. It looks as simple as that, yet it's somehow all fucked up.

Like a lot of people pointed out, the editing of the video is very poor, and at the same time it's quite obvious that the GNR camp must be in the possession of a LOT of potential pro-shots (meaning it's not yet edited).

You know what's real bullshit in this story, it's that the Beta family must be in the possession of all those videos and I'm pretty sure someone like Fernando edited the Better video. It really looks like a family amateur job, like the kind of video you make for your parents when you go out on holiday. It's such a shame Axl is trapped in the fucking mess.

I really really feel sad for Axl. The man is a giant. His life has been fucked over by people who have been taking advantage of him and lacking respect (I'm targetting Robin here, who left the band and caused the annulation of the video broadcast). The Chinese Democracy stuff could have been released waaaaaay more simply than that, had Axl been independant and some members of the band less selfish.

Four years afterwars, I still love the whole album, to me it's a masterpiece in its genre. It just irritates me so much that Axl's family handeld things so poorly and made so poor decision with all the advertising.

They should have released live dvd's of the 2009/2010 tours, they should have released the Better video no matter Robin, they should have been more generous with the videos.

The situation sucks ass. No offense to the band or Axl, but they should really awake and start doing some serious promotion and hire real professionals to edit videos, promote videos and stuff.

(I'm targetting Robin here, who left the band and caused the annulation of the video broadcast).

See, that's a stupid thing to say. when Izzy left, they continued making videos and they didn't shelve the old ones. I didn't mind the editing but I do think some of the shots are bad while others are pure awesome. I just on't think it was finished and then it was shelved for whatever reason.

I'm surprised it's such a big deal now. Regardless of how cool the video may or may not be I don't see why they would bother releasing it now for anything other than the novelty of it. Is there really any point in trying to promote a record who's time came and went?

This

Unfortunately, too late for this...

But this is a good video

I want 2006 Axl and 2006 band back.

I'm surprised it's such a big deal now. Regardless of how cool the video may or may not be I don't see why they would bother releasing it now for anything other than the novelty of it. Is there really any point in trying to promote a record who's time came and went?

This

But this is a good video

Yeah and I shoulda fucked Dale Evans but I didn't.

I like the video, for what it's worth.

There's a reason it was "abandoned", though - it serves no purpose in 2012. Axl doesn't look that good anymore, Robin and Buckethead are gone, and it promotes a song that was already released in 2008.

Good to finally see it, though.

I don't think it was recently abandoned though - I'd guess this decision was made quite some time ago (Maybe when DJ came into the picture even?)

I like the video, for what it's worth.

There's a reason it was "abandoned", though - it serves no purpose in 2012. Axl doesn't look that good anymore, Robin and Buckethead are gone, and it promotes a song that was already released in 2008.

Good to finally see it, though.

I don't think it was recently abandoned though - I'd guess this decision was made quite some time ago (Maybe when DJ came into the picture even?)

They stopped working on it less than a month after the album was released - I guess by that point the label realized the album didn't have legs and releasing more singles wouldn't be worth it.

Some neat things I've thought of regarding the video:

-The video for "Paradise City" climaxes with the band performing at Donington in 1988.

-The video for "Better" climaxes with the band performing at Donington in 2006.

-During the actual performance of "Better" at Donington in 2006, Axl stood in one place for the whole performance in response to Tommy getting hit with a bottle.

nice find

This

But this is a good video

Yeah and I shoulda fucked Dale Evans but I didn't.

...wha?