REALISTICALLY, what can Axl do to satisy you? (given the CURRENT situation)

Guest Sleeping Like An Angel

i'd like to hear him make some music that's less shackled to the screetchy rasp hard rock genre. i think it'd be cool if he didnt' bother singing in his trademark hair metal sound, and instead used some of his other voices to make some broader, more timeless kinds of music. like axl singing more in his deep voice. or just doing songs with piano or acoustic guitar. i'd like to hear what it'd sound like if axl grew up some, lyrically and musically.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't understand how anyone would rather have a cover band playing the hits for the sake of nostalgia rather than having the real deal doing it for nostalgia.

But who one wants the current band for the nostalgia? I want the current band to play CD songs and to work on a new record. That's the opposite of nostalgia, it's a longing for the future not a longing for the past. When I want nostalgia, and I sometimes do, I visit youtube to see the AFD lineup in it's prime, I don't need a bunch of guys to get together 25 years later to try to copy what they once was just because I live in the past. That would just be a pathetic, sad sight.

Because I'm a "actions speak louder than words" type of guy, and the moves the nu guys are making are more about dwelling in the past. Playing less nu stuff than they did on the beginning of this tour, and more old stuff. Maybe, just maybe, one day that'll change, but I personally doubt it, and will until I see Axl and these guys actually making progress instead of just talking about plans to. It just doesn't seem like Axl's about the future anymore. Right now they come off essentially as a nostalgic cover band milking another band's past success for profit, and if that's all we're gonna get, I'd much rather have the real deal out there doing it instead.

Heh, no, you are delusional if you believe a future GN'R will play more new stuff than the classic material. That will never happen. But a future band might release new music, and that is all I care about. So again, I don't want a reunion because I am not interested in hearing the old material live, I am interested in band that is interested in the future more than the past, and so far I have no reason to believe that the current lineup isn't more that type of band than a reunion band would be who would for all purposes just get together for the cash grab.

It's funny how people bashing the current band keep on addressing it as a "cover band" only set out to "milk another band's past success for profit" when we actually know CD was released four years ago and that the band members are interested in releasing new material. Sort of a low blow. And it becomes directly ironic when these same people are in favour of a reunion which would ONLY be for profit.

I never said I expect them to play more nu songs than the classic stuff. Just saying it should be more of a delicate balance if they want to be taken more seriously; especially by now. 50/50 or around that ballpark. Don't feel that's an unrealistic expectation.

I'd agree with the point of them being a "future band" and being more about the future than the past if their actions actually showed that. Instead there's still a ridiculous emphasis on the past. I, like most people, love GNR for what they did to earn their wings in the first place, and again would rather see the actual methods to the madness perform the songs for profits, instead of what's mainly a coverband cashing in on their works.

The reason people throw those "low blows" are because they're touring with a set list of 75-85% of songs they had fuck all to do with, and that's what people are paying to see.They're specifically cashing in on songs of yesteryear, case in point; nostalgia. And they've been a "band" for much longer. Even with the CD songs, Fortus, Bumble, and Frank came in later, the latter at the very end where these songs were already pretty established (based on the demos that were leaked) and their contributions seemed to be pretty minimal. Ashba hasn't contributed to dick yet. Again, I have no problem with Axl playing the hits he helped create, but the set list should be a little more balanced by now between classic songs and nu songs. Give the nu band an identity of their own, and show us they can put asses in the seats based on their own material, rather than just continuing to live in the old band's shadow. At least if the old band were back together playing these songs, it will be the actual inventors behind the music. The ones that did contribute to songs people actually pay to see. Not an essentially glorified cover band. Not necessarily because they're bad playing the songs, but because a cover's still a cover. You could consider that a nostalgic cash grab, but at least it would be with the people who actually earned that right. Who helped made it nostalgic in the first place.

And the whole "it's only been four years" would apply better if we hadn't already waited 17 years prior to that, and they actually seemed like they were in the studio working on the "future" instead of out there mainly milking yesteryear. Axl had established a game plan (more than once) to tour, release, tour release, yadda yadda, and now he seems like he couldn't give a shit, again based on his actions. Yes shit happens, but it seems like Axl just wants to tour what's already out there, even if the employees wanna work, Axl's the head honcho and his actions and plans are the only ones that matter. And his expendable time seems to be wearing thin. Plus with CD failing to really connecting to an audience, with most fan and public reception outside these forums being mainly negative, I doubt Axl wants to bother. Honestly, there's no mystique or high demand for another nu album. Axl could cut all the CD songs and nobody outside these forums would bat an eye. God help him if he cut Jungle though.

Again, I could be wrong, and only time will tell, but I think there's just as much reason to doubt another nu album than there is to expect one at this point. Even more room for doubt in my eyes, but each to their own...

It seems like it's the fact that the band mostly plays old songs that throws you off and makes you think the band is more about the past than the history. You seek "balance" and call it a "ridiculous emphasis on the past". And why? Just because the band doesn't play 50/50 new songs. Do you seriously expect a band with GN'R to play 12 songs from Chinese Democracy on their shows? A record that wasn't that well received and which really pale sin comparison to earlier material, at least as far as public recognition goes? Isn't playing 5-8 new songs more than what is customary for a band of GN'R's standing who releases a new record?

Even if you still hold on to the idea that not playing a "delicate balance" of old vs new songs indicates that the band is not about the future, you would have to agree that a reunion of the AFD lineup would be less for the future and more of a nostalgia act. And that's my whole point, in addition to thinking the band puts more than enough emphasis on new music at their gigs.

I also don't understand this wide-spread myth that Axl "couldn't give a shit anymore" about releasing new music. Are you so easily fooled that just because Axl's ambitious plans fell apart he has lost his footing altogether and just given up? Haven't we learnt anything from history? Axl never does things on a timely schedule and always spend more time on things than he thought he would. The fact that he spent so much time on CD is a case in point why we shouldn't be all whiny just because it has been 4 years now. It might be four more years! I fear that if people really let themselves be fooled by Axl's past comments or the band's naive optimism, they will just end up as another boring generation of butthurt GN'R fans who haunt the forums whimpering about how bad the band treats them when their expectations didn't come through. Here's the thing: Don't believe what Axl says. What are we then left with? We are left with the knowledge that there is lots of music in different states of completion, we are left with an Axl who obviously hasn't thrown in the towel yet, and we are left with a band that is eager to release new music. Cheer up, we probably will hear new music some time. Perhaps in 2 years, perhaps in 4 year. And in the meantime life goes on.

So I guess we can now commence in calling axl a bigger liar than slash; since he came on here and told this board about a better video as well as subsequent album release every 2 yrs or so after chinese? Or are there ready made excuses for axl other than the fact he's a liar?

So I guess we can now commence in calling axl a bigger liar than slash; since he came on here and told this board about a better video as well as subsequent album release every 2 yrs or so after chinese? Or are there ready made excuses for axl other than the fact he's a liar?

Trying to quantify degrees of being a liar is a futile exercise, let's just accept they are both humans.

Axl could record a hard rock record that sounds more like old GUNs. Just make a rock n roll record. Another option is he should join Bach's band that would be a good alternative imagine Angel Down with Bach and Axl for the whole album. Would be cool.

I would like Axl to release archive material from the old guns. I would like to see more concerts footage from 1987 to 1993 on dvd or bluray. Would like it if more rare tunes from 1987 to 1996 were released. Would be interested in hearing any demos they have from before the band split up and Slash left. Would like An't Going Down to be released in a final mastered form. Would like some other rare tracks on a rare tracks album. Maybe heart break hotel, jumpin jack flash, any given sunday, etc...

Of course a reunion with Axl having his voice in great shape again would be my wildest dreams but I am not getting my hopes up. Even better a new tour and album with a reunion with Axl in top form again.

Maybe Axl should do an album where there are different guest musicians on it like Slash did. That could be cool. They could do maybe covers and some new songs.

Edited by rocker rockstar

I really don't understand how anyone would rather have a cover band playing the hits for the sake of nostalgia rather than having the real deal doing it for nostalgia.

But who one wants the current band for the nostalgia? I want the current band to play CD songs and to work on a new record. That's the opposite of nostalgia, it's a longing for the future not a longing for the past. When I want nostalgia, and I sometimes do, I visit youtube to see the AFD lineup in it's prime, I don't need a bunch of guys to get together 25 years later to try to copy what they once was just because I live in the past. That would just be a pathetic, sad sight.

Because I'm a "actions speak louder than words" type of guy, and the moves the nu guys are making are more about dwelling in the past. Playing less nu stuff than they did on the beginning of this tour, and more old stuff. Maybe, just maybe, one day that'll change, but I personally doubt it, and will until I see Axl and these guys actually making progress instead of just talking about plans to. It just doesn't seem like Axl's about the future anymore. Right now they come off essentially as a nostalgic cover band milking another band's past success for profit, and if that's all we're gonna get, I'd much rather have the real deal out there doing it instead.

Heh, no, you are delusional if you believe a future GN'R will play more new stuff than the classic material. That will never happen. But a future band might release new music, and that is all I care about. So again, I don't want a reunion because I am not interested in hearing the old material live, I am interested in band that is interested in the future more than the past, and so far I have no reason to believe that the current lineup isn't more that type of band than a reunion band would be who would for all purposes just get together for the cash grab.

It's funny how people bashing the current band keep on addressing it as a "cover band" only set out to "milk another band's past success for profit" when we actually know CD was released four years ago and that the band members are interested in releasing new material. Sort of a low blow. And it becomes directly ironic when these same people are in favour of a reunion which would ONLY be for profit.

I never said I expect them to play more nu songs than the classic stuff. Just saying it should be more of a delicate balance if they want to be taken more seriously; especially by now. 50/50 or around that ballpark. Don't feel that's an unrealistic expectation.

I'd agree with the point of them being a "future band" and being more about the future than the past if their actions actually showed that. Instead there's still a ridiculous emphasis on the past. I, like most people, love GNR for what they did to earn their wings in the first place, and again would rather see the actual methods to the madness perform the songs for profits, instead of what's mainly a coverband cashing in on their works.

The reason people throw those "low blows" are because they're touring with a set list of 75-85% of songs they had fuck all to do with, and that's what people are paying to see.They're specifically cashing in on songs of yesteryear, case in point; nostalgia. And they've been a "band" for much longer. Even with the CD songs, Fortus, Bumble, and Frank came in later, the latter at the very end where these songs were already pretty established (based on the demos that were leaked) and their contributions seemed to be pretty minimal. Ashba hasn't contributed to dick yet. Again, I have no problem with Axl playing the hits he helped create, but the set list should be a little more balanced by now between classic songs and nu songs. Give the nu band an identity of their own, and show us they can put asses in the seats based on their own material, rather than just continuing to live in the old band's shadow. At least if the old band were back together playing these songs, it will be the actual inventors behind the music. The ones that did contribute to songs people actually pay to see. Not an essentially glorified cover band. Not necessarily because they're bad playing the songs, but because a cover's still a cover. You could consider that a nostalgic cash grab, but at least it would be with the people who actually earned that right. Who helped made it nostalgic in the first place.

And the whole "it's only been four years" would apply better if we hadn't already waited 17 years prior to that, and they actually seemed like they were in the studio working on the "future" instead of out there mainly milking yesteryear. Axl had established a game plan (more than once) to tour, release, tour release, yadda yadda, and now he seems like he couldn't give a shit, again based on his actions. Yes shit happens, but it seems like Axl just wants to tour what's already out there, even if the employees wanna work, Axl's the head honcho and his actions and plans are the only ones that matter. And his expendable time seems to be wearing thin. Plus with CD failing to really connecting to an audience, with most fan and public reception outside these forums being mainly negative, I doubt Axl wants to bother. Honestly, there's no mystique or high demand for another nu album. Axl could cut all the CD songs and nobody outside these forums would bat an eye. God help him if he cut Jungle though.

Again, I could be wrong, and only time will tell, but I think there's just as much reason to doubt another nu album than there is to expect one at this point. Even more room for doubt in my eyes, but each to their own...

It seems like it's the fact that the band mostly plays old songs that throws you off and makes you think the band is more about the past than the history. You seek "balance" and call it a "ridiculous emphasis on the past". And why? Just because the band doesn't play 50/50 new songs. Do you seriously expect a band with GN'R to play 12 songs from Chinese Democracy on their shows? A record that wasn't that well received and which really pale sin comparison to earlier material, at least as far as public recognition goes? Isn't playing 5-8 new songs more than what is customary for a band of GN'R's standing who releases a new record?

Even if you still hold on to the idea that not playing a "delicate balance" of old vs new songs indicates that the band is not about the future, you would have to agree that a reunion of the AFD lineup would be less for the future and more of a nostalgia act. And that's my whole point, in addition to thinking the band puts more than enough emphasis on new music at their gigs.

I also don't understand this wide-spread myth that Axl "couldn't give a shit anymore" about releasing new music. Are you so easily fooled that just because Axl's ambitious plans fell apart he has lost his footing altogether and just given up? Haven't we learnt anything from history? Axl never does things on a timely schedule and always spend more time on things than he thought he would. The fact that he spent so much time on CD is a case in point why we shouldn't be all whiny just because it has been 4 years now. It might be four more years! I fear that if people really let themselves be fooled by Axl's past comments or the band's naive optimism, they will just end up as another boring generation of butthurt GN'R fans who haunt the forums whimpering about how bad the band treats them when their expectations didn't come through. Here's the thing: Don't believe what Axl says. What are we then left with? We are left with the knowledge that there is lots of music in different states of completion, we are left with an Axl who obviously hasn't thrown in the towel yet, and we are left with a band that is eager to release new music. Cheer up, we probably will hear new music some time. Perhaps in 2 years, perhaps in 4 year. And in the meantime life goes on.

Those don't even qualify as lies. A lie is a statement you know to be false. Plans change all the time, no reason to think Axl didn't intend for those things to happen.

:thumbsup:

Eh, nothing. Seeing them live works for me. I loved Democracy. I suppose another album with this group would be nice, but since I don't live and die for it, I don't care if it comes or not. A leak or two would make me pretty rabid for such a release, so I don't want leaks either, lol.

if they were to have a new release on the horizon, I don't want to know about it until 6-8 weeks beforehand. From there, give us a good rockin single, and a video ala Better just for Youtube and the like. A video will cement these guys as a "band."

I couldn't have said it better myself! I agree with you.

Loved seeing Axl and GNR live and I can't wait for my Vegas show.

New music would be awesome especially with this new band, but like you said, I have a life and don't live it wishing and hoping Axl will make new music.

Axl seems in a good place now. Maybe he'll want to do new music. Who knows?

The Rolling Stones take years and years off from recording and touring and no one seems to have a nervous breakdown over them. They are now recording and there will be a new tour. These guys are in their 70's now, so I think Axl has time to do something new if he wants to.

I for one wouldn't give a shit if GNR continued to tour and play the songs they have. They are amazing songs and live they rock, so I'm good.

The Rolling Stones take years and years off from recording and touring and no one seems to have a nervous breakdown over them. They are now recording and there will be a new tour. These guys are in their 70's now, so I think Axl has time to do something new if he wants to.

True, but when the stones do it, they do it well. They record an album in a relatively short period of time, set up the biggest tour mankind has ever seen (topping their previous tour) and when they're done they're done. With the stones, people know what's going on. They're either on or off. They don't mention albums worth of material in the works. They don't tour one album for 10 years with people hoping for that one new song. Plus, the Stones have produced SUCH a vast body of work that they sort of... earned their keep with their fans. Everything we get now is bonus. Whereas with GnR almost everybody seems to have a feeling that there is so much more that can be achieved. There's so much more in there. So many places to go. And on top of that the Stones are still the Stones. Last personnel change was Bill leaving in 1993 (or 1994?) and they decided not to replace him as a full member. GnR however is a band that is trying to really reestablish itself with new members.

The situations are completely different. But what's more important. the way the band works and communicates is completely different as well.

No I'm not talking just about Chinese Democracy, by balance I mean, by now, they should have much more of their own material to even things out. Instead we get more and more tours of same ol', same ol' with ridiculous emphasis on the past instead of focusing on moving forward, despite being a "band" for double the time the real deal were together. No matter what reason you wanna cite for that, it's just flat out ridiculous at this point, and is why this nu band is looked upon the way that they are. It isn't just about "failed expectations", it's just about how ridiculous of a failure to launch Axl docked for himself. Right now, I don't see how my predictions are any less realistic than yours. In fact, I think there's many more people who think more like me than you in all honesty, but again, each to their own :shrugs:

Right at this moment, this nu "band" is at a total standstill, and I can only see them being about the future, if their actions point to that. I just at this point can't see why Axl would want to continue on with new material, and his actions just don't seem to be about moving on anymore. I can't see the label giving them a heap of support after the failure of CD catching on to an audience, and there's no real demand for another nu album outside these forums. His expendable time seems to be up as well. He's 50 now, and his voice is seemingly getting progressively worse already. 4 years from now? 6 years from now? I just can't see it. And IF this nu band is just about nostalgia, I'd rather have the real deal up there doing it instead of a glorified frankensteined cover "band" up there to collect the kaching. And obviously, if Axl and Slash somehow legit worked things out (and I know that's more than likely never going to happen), I would much, much, much rather have a reunion over what we have now.

I guess only time will tell who's right and who's wrong. Best of luck to you. :thumbsup:

True, but when the stones do it, they do it well. They record an album in a relatively short period of time, set up the biggest tour mankind has ever seen (topping their previous tour) and when they're done they're done. With the stones, people know what's going on. They're either on or off. They don't mention albums worth of material in the works. They don't tour one album for 10 years with people hoping for that one new song. Plus, the Stones have produced SUCH a vast body of work that they sort of... earned their keep with their fans. Everything we get now is bonus. Whereas with GnR almost everybody seems to have a feeling that there is so much more that can be achieved. There's so much more in there. So many places to go. And on top of that the Stones are still the Stones. Last personnel change was Bill leaving in 1993 (or 1994?) and they decided not to replace him as a full member. GnR however is a band that is trying to really reestablish itself with new members.

The situations are completely different. But what's more important. the way the band works and communicates is completely different as well.

I couldn't agree more with your last statement. The biggest problem with the current Guns N' Roses line-up is the lack of communication. If Axl simply came out and posted on Facebook message saying "I want to tour the classics for a couple more years. New album will be out near the end of 2013" or something to that extent then I'm sure we'd have less people complaining because we'd all know what is going on. Instead we get vague comments from every other member except Axl about new songs being worked on here and there, or that a new album is priority, then suddenly the Vegas thing is announced.

Guns N' Roses has always kind of been a "never know what to expect" kind of band, especially in regards to Axl, but I can't blame people for getting tired of being in silence all the time.

i'd like to hear him make some music that's less shackled to the screetchy rasp hard rock genre. i think it'd be cool if he didnt' bother singing in his trademark hair metal sound, and instead used some of his other voices to make some broader, more timeless kinds of music. like axl singing more in his deep voice. or just doing songs with piano or acoustic guitar. i'd like to hear what it'd sound like if axl grew up some, lyrically and musically.

He should have been doing that years ago. Dragging GNR around has creatively stunted him.

Trying to quantify degrees of being a liar is a futile exercise, let's just accept they are both humans.

Posts like this are why you are one of the better posters.(even though I disagree with a lot of what you say).

A lot of people here blow things out of proportion, take statements out if context, it twist things to make their hero look better.

If we take away the Axl bias and The Slash bias I doubt that either guy is lying on purpose. Plans change. People change their minds. It happens.

just being fair

Edited by jmapelian

just being fair

I don't know what is "fair" about using Axl's postponed and failed plans as an excuse for calling him a bigger liar then Slash.