Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Does anybody else (other than MSL) think Tracii Guns should sue Axl for half the GNR name?

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

JayGatz

JayGatz

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • 26-July 12

Best topic ever! .....if it was 1987.

It isn't 1987? Could have fooled me.
Posted Image

Haha, well technically those 2 were 21 years apart...so it'd be more accurate to split the difference and say we're in 1998. Now Axl can start playing more CD tunes at the concerts because they'll be modern.

Vincent Vega

Vincent Vega

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,662 posts
  • 30-March 06

Posted Image
These are the guys that matter -- the guys who played on Guns N' Roses' original releases -- Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide, Appetite for Destruction, the "Live from the Jungle EP" and GN'R Lies.

So the Use Your Illusion albums are no longer canon?
-Member formerly known as Mr. Miser/Honky Chateau/Memnoch the Devil/Indigo Child/Clark Gable/Virgil Caine-
GUNS N' ROSES = AXL, SLASH, IZZY, DUFF, STEVEN

dalsh327

dalsh327

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 10,437 posts
  • 12-December 08
http://thequietus.co...on-guns-n-roses

Please tell me about your involvement with Guns N'Roses.

TG: Ok, I'll try to make it as direct as possible. In the beginning Izzy [Stradlin] lived at my house, years ago. And he had Hollywood Rose with Axl [Rose] - that was their band. I never played in Hollywood Rose. And I had my highschool band and I was really looking for a cool name and I loved Hollywood Rose. And I had a girlfriend that had been calling me Mr Guns. One day me and Izzy were sitting in the living room of my house and I said 'L.A. Guns' and I made this Cheap Trick looking logo on a blank album cover, and I show it to Izzy and go 'What do you think of this for a band name?'. And he goes, 'That's great.' So that's been my band name ever since. So anyways, we had a little manager guy at the time and he hated our singer Mike Jagosz, so we fired him. So then I asked Axl to join L.A. Guns and he was in the band for about six, seven months, and then the same manager ended up hating Axl and he wanted to fire him. We're all living together at this point and Axl and I sat down and went 'What are we going to do?' So we both said 'Fuck that', and came up with the name Guns N'Roses which was going to be just a record label that we'd put singles out on.

Sadly that idea only lasted for about 10 minutes and then we decided to keep L.A. Guns going, add Izzy and call it Guns N'Roses. And that's it, that's the whole story. And then I lasted for about seven or eight months in that, and then Axl and I got into an extraordinary fight - and we had never argued ever in the past few years before. [Then] I just kind of went my own way.

What did you argue about?

TG: That fight stemmed from a girl named Michelle Young [of 'My Michelle' fame] not being put on a guest list at three in the afternoon before even sound check, and we did two shows after that argument and then I left. It just wasn't fun anymore. I was probably 19 then and I thought Great band, and I love these guys, but they're not worth the headaches.' Even at that age I didn't want to deal with it.

So when you were still playing with those guys, was the material made up of a mixture of L.A. Guns tracks as well as early Guns N' Roses material?

TG: Exactly. It's funny, no one's ever asked me that question before, but that's exactly what we did. It was a mixture of these heavier L.A. Guns songs and I had helped working on some Hollywood Rose songs, which were really the tracks that became Guns N'Roses songs later. It was cool because Izzy and I were very systematic about how we would play in the band together. It was really fun structuring the L.A. Guns and Hollywood Rose songs for two guitars. We'd spend a lot more time making two really different guitar parts and two different guitar sounds. More than anything it was an incredible experience. That's when I really learned how to play with another guy. Izzy's so talented - not like a real master and he's definitely not a shredder - but he's just got a brilliant brain for music.

Is it true that you wrote some of the famous Guns N' Roses riffs but were never credited for them?

TG: No, the reality of that is that anything from Appetite For Destruction and Use Your Illusion I didn't write from scratch. Anything that I was involved with for those songs was a combination of me, Izzy and Axl. But they consciously didn't use anything that I'd brought in from scratch because they didn't want to pay out; plus the stuff maybe didn't stick with what they wanted to do at that time. So I lay no claim to like 'Hey, I wrote 'Welcome To The Jungle' man, where's my money?' It's not like that.

You don't seem to bear any grudges about not having stayed with Guns N' Roses who obviously went on to make millions of dollars.

TG: I think I'm more proud of it than anything. I had the good time that I did with the band, and then when I got fed up I think I made the right decision to leave so I could continue to do my own thing and take the education I got from playing with those guys. And you know, it's never really been about money for me until now, because now I have a little son. So now I have to make money, but up until this point I never thought 'Oh, those guys must have gazillions of dollars and I only have thousands of dollars'. But erm... I'd love to have that money! But no, it's never been part of my depression, I have my own reasons for depression [laughs].

Are you still in touch with those guys?

TG: No, not really. Oddly enough, the people I probably talk to the most are Gilby Clarke and Matt Sorum. Slash I talk to maybe every two or three years, Axl I haven't talked to since 1989, I'm very friendly with Duff (McKagan). But you know, everybody's kind of scattered.

downzy

downzy

SUPER GOD

• Supporters
  • 3,063 posts
  • 18-February 06
If Tracey could have sued Axl over the name, he would have done it years ago.

MSL

MSL

GNR fan since 1988.

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,387 posts
  • 12-April 05

Does anybody else (other than MSL) think Tracii Guns should sue Axl for half the GNR name? It's really Only N'Rose without Tracii Guns.

Pretty lame troll thread. Not sure why the mods allow such obvious troll bait. Also not sure why you have nothing better to do with your life than to make disingenuous threads on an unofficial Guns N' Roses fan site.

If Tracii had any outstanding claim to ownership, don't you think it would have been pursued by now?

Thanks for another waste of time thread.

sailaway

sailaway

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • 5,733 posts
  • 14-May 11

Posted Image
These are the guys that matter -- the guys who played on Guns N' Roses' original releases -- Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide, Appetite for Destruction, the "Live from the Jungle EP" and GN'R Lies.

:rolleyes: Let it be.

http://thequietus.com/articles/04450-dr-rock-tracii-guns-interview-la-guns-nikki-sixx-poison-guns-n-roses

Please tell me about your involvement with Guns N'Roses.

TG: Ok, I'll try to make it as direct as possible. In the beginning Izzy [Stradlin] lived at my house, years ago. And he had Hollywood Rose with Axl [Rose] - that was their band. I never played in Hollywood Rose. And I had my highschool band and I was really looking for a cool name and I loved Hollywood Rose. And I had a girlfriend that had been calling me Mr Guns. One day me and Izzy were sitting in the living room of my house and I said 'L.A. Guns' and I made this Cheap Trick looking logo on a blank album cover, and I show it to Izzy and go 'What do you think of this for a band name?'. And he goes, 'That's great.' So that's been my band name ever since. So anyways, we had a little manager guy at the time and he hated our singer Mike Jagosz, so we fired him. So then I asked Axl to join L.A. Guns and he was in the band for about six, seven months, and then the same manager ended up hating Axl and he wanted to fire him. We're all living together at this point and Axl and I sat down and went 'What are we going to do?' So we both said 'Fuck that', and came up with the name Guns N'Roses which was going to be just a record label that we'd put singles out on.

Sadly that idea only lasted for about 10 minutes and then we decided to keep L.A. Guns going, add Izzy and call it Guns N'Roses. And that's it, that's the whole story. And then I lasted for about seven or eight months in that, and then Axl and I got into an extraordinary fight - and we had never argued ever in the past few years before. [Then] I just kind of went my own way.

What did you argue about?

TG: That fight stemmed from a girl named Michelle Young [of 'My Michelle' fame] not being put on a guest list at three in the afternoon before even sound check, and we did two shows after that argument and then I left. It just wasn't fun anymore. I was probably 19 then and I thought Great band, and I love these guys, but they're not worth the headaches.' Even at that age I didn't want to deal with it.

So when you were still playing with those guys, was the material made up of a mixture of L.A. Guns tracks as well as early Guns N' Roses material?

TG: Exactly. It's funny, no one's ever asked me that question before, but that's exactly what we did. It was a mixture of these heavier L.A. Guns songs and I had helped working on some Hollywood Rose songs, which were really the tracks that became Guns N'Roses songs later. It was cool because Izzy and I were very systematic about how we would play in the band together. It was really fun structuring the L.A. Guns and Hollywood Rose songs for two guitars. We'd spend a lot more time making two really different guitar parts and two different guitar sounds. More than anything it was an incredible experience. That's when I really learned how to play with another guy. Izzy's so talented - not like a real master and he's definitely not a shredder - but he's just got a brilliant brain for music.

Is it true that you wrote some of the famous Guns N' Roses riffs but were never credited for them?

TG: No, the reality of that is that anything from Appetite For Destruction and Use Your Illusion I didn't write from scratch. Anything that I was involved with for those songs was a combination of me, Izzy and Axl. But they consciously didn't use anything that I'd brought in from scratch because they didn't want to pay out; plus the stuff maybe didn't stick with what they wanted to do at that time. So I lay no claim to like 'Hey, I wrote 'Welcome To The Jungle' man, where's my money?' It's not like that.

You don't seem to bear any grudges about not having stayed with Guns N' Roses who obviously went on to make millions of dollars.

TG: I think I'm more proud of it than anything. I had the good time that I did with the band, and then when I got fed up I think I made the right decision to leave so I could continue to do my own thing and take the education I got from playing with those guys. And you know, it's never really been about money for me until now, because now I have a little son. So now I have to make money, but up until this point I never thought 'Oh, those guys must have gazillions of dollars and I only have thousands of dollars'. But erm... I'd love to have that money! But no, it's never been part of my depression, I have my own reasons for depression [laughs].

Are you still in touch with those guys?

TG: No, not really. Oddly enough, the people I probably talk to the most are Gilby Clarke and Matt Sorum. Slash I talk to maybe every two or three years, Axl I haven't talked to since 1989, I'm very friendly with Duff (McKagan). But you know, everybody's kind of scattered.

Blah,blah,blah.

He can't even control how many versions of LA Guns exist simutaneously.

sailaway

sailaway

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • 5,733 posts
  • 14-May 11

Best topic ever! .....if it was 1987.

To half of these people, it is. :shrugs:

Ironically,3/4 of that half weren't even born then.The others?well you know :drool:

jekylhyde

jekylhyde

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,101 posts
  • 07-August 05
Guns should've been Hudson N' Baileys... Which would also be a great name for a country duo. Maybe when Axl and Slash are in their sixties they could do that.
My instrumental/alternative metal -project:
facebook.com/acidasylum
myspace.com/acidasylum1
mikseri.net/acidasylum

fabrph5

fabrph5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 82 posts
  • 03-June 05

Is his last name even really "Guns"?

I don't know. But his last name is where the "Guns" in Guns N' Roses came from. Hudson N' Roses doesn't have quite the same ring to it now, does it? We're so lucky that Slash was never an original member.

Randy, its those dumass comments that make this board look like a bunch of children. Classic, original, who cares what you call it. WE ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOOO LUCKY slash was/is part od the BEST lineup that gave us the BEST music and memorires. GNR were nothing before slash and axl, and have not really been much since. Except for a touring band covering slash material

rabia

rabia

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts
  • 12-December 08

Does anybody else (other than MSL) think Tracii Guns should sue Axl for half the GNR name? It's really Only N'Rose without Tracii Guns.

It would give the judge a good laugh if he tried doing that. Tracii Guns himself doesn't claim any ownership of the name but the fact remains that he WAS a part of the first GN'R line-up.

mors

mors

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
  • 24-May 11

Slash N' Burn might have worked.

haha that actually made me laugh out loud, the missus thinks I've lost the plot. Quality.

Mysteron

Mysteron

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • 23-October 03

By this, Randy is labelling all of you, bar MSL, as daft enough to participate in such a discussion.

The Sandman

The Sandman

King of Wishful Thinking

• Supporters
  • 25,816 posts
  • 26-September 05

If Tracii had any outstanding claim to ownership, don't you think it would have been pursued by now?

Simply this.

I like and respect Tracii - he's a good guy.

He's like a rocky DJ...
Posted Image

Patience 4 Axl

Patience 4 Axl

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 14,857 posts
  • 25-August 04
Why didn't Axl blackmail Traci, Rob and Ole for the name? Didn't he consider them Guns N' Roses too?
Posted Image

"I left Guns out of love. Out of love of music and being on stage."- SLASH

Whateva! I'm not some pretenderrr, I'm a native New Yorkerrr!

Damn_Smooth

Damn_Smooth

Commander Awesome

• Supporters
  • 8,326 posts
  • 13-February 06

Why didn't Axl blackmail Traci, Rob and Ole for the name? Didn't he consider them Guns N' Roses too?

Who did he blackmail?
:shrugs:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users