Neil Young is the fucking king

Use Your Delusion 1

Love his dark 'strung out' mid-70s phrase which produced On the Beach and Tonight's the Night. Also love anything with the Horse. My favourite album is actually his debut. It is a strange album, a flop, which sounded nothing like anything else he did later. It is essentially a hippy album with all of this lavish orchestration on it.

• 8 months later...

Saw him live (with Crazy Horse) in March this year with my Dad. It was AWESOME!!!! He's an old dude now but he was fucking amazing! He's 67 years old but that guy knows how to rock!!!! My Dad and I were blown away, the Crazy Horse stuff has this brilliant rhythmic quality to it that takes you into another stratosphere, kind of like riding waves, and you can really get lost in it. Loved every minute of it! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

He refused to do an interview with Johnny Rotten because he only does interviews with people he's heard of, what a nobhead :lol:

He refused to do an interview with Johnny Rotten because he only does interviews with people he's heard of, what a nobhead :lol:

For not knowing who Johnny Rotten is or for refusing to do interviews with people he hasn't heard of? If it's the latter it actually makes sense to me; if it's the former it seems a bit strange as he's quite famous but I wouldn't necessarily hold it against him.

Guest Len B'stard

For not knowing who Johnny Rotten is or for refusing to do interviews with people he hasn't heard of? If it's the latter it actually makes sense to me; if it's the former it seems a bit strange as he's quite famous but I wouldn't necessarily hold it against him.

"the king is gone but he's not forgotten, this is the story of Johnny Rotten". He's a nobhead for claiming he's never heard of someone that one of his most well known lyrics is about.

Neil Young is amazing. There are very few lyricists I'd put on his level. Took me a good while to really get into his music. Favorite songs from him are "Words (Between the Lines of Age)" and "Cowgirl in the Sand". I love when he gets into those slow, plodding jams.

Live at Massey Hall - 1971 might be the best live album I've heard.

He shouldn't have namedropped John in one of his songs. At least when Skynyrd namechecked Neil, they had a laugh about it. Supposedly Neil did "Sweet Home Alabama" after the plane crash, but I don't know how true it is..it's up there with Clapton's Enoch Powell rant on the shit I want to hear before I die.

I like Neil because he has it where he could switch gears depending on the group of guys he's with. It's never the same tour every year, what you see now, you might not see again, or it might be 20 years until you see it again, or it could be in a few years. He has albums of unreleased material and it's not because it sucks. He's just constantly working on songs, but when he's not working on songs, he's pouring his tour money into stuff like Linkvolt or helping out with Bridge School stuff.

What I saw live was the right mix of songs for the theater I saw him in -unplugged first set and electric second set.

• 4 months later...

Bump because I didn't want to make a new thread.

Just got around to his two newest albums with Crazy Horse recently, Americana and Psychedelic Pill.

Americana can be a tough listen at times, but there are a few gems on there. "Oh Susannah", "Gallows Pole", "Travel On", "High Flyin' Bird", "Jesus' Chariot", and "God Save the Queen" are all really good.

Psychedelic Pill is fucking awesome! I was a bit worried going into it the first time because "Driftin' Back", "Ramada Inn", and "Walk Like a Giant" are all so long, but all three are great jams. Then on top of those three you have some other fantastic songs like "She's Always Dancing" and "For the Love of Man". Blown away by how good this album is. One of the best he's ever done, imo. I've always loved his jams with Crazy Horse and his guitar playing, so there's a lot to love here for me.

• 8 months later...