Jimmy Page vs. Slash

Iron MikeyJ

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that Slash is at least in the same discussion says a lot about his ability.

Says a lot about his fans overrating the shit out of him. The only people who think Slash is at Jimmy Page level are diehard GNR fans and stupid kids.

Nah, by now he's earned his name being on the same list, maybe not near or at the top like Jimmy, but certainly somewhere around Duane Allman or Angus Young level.

I'm a big Led Zep fan, but it's Slash for me. Mainly just because my favorite GNR songs trump my favorite LZ songs - and Slash played lead guitar on those songs - therefore, Slash.

'Technical ability', when it comes to guitar, is imo, a largely irrelevant question. I don't care in the slightest if someone can play things that few others can; fast and complex hand positions, whatever - why does it matter? Music is about sound and how the sound makes you feel.

As far as writing/composition goes... I think the first thing to consider is that the creation of music (as with all things that are creative/artistic) is a relatively mysterious process. From Keith Richards' wikipedia page:

"Richards has frequently stated that he feels less like a creator than a conduit when writing songs: "I don't have that God aspect about it. I prefer to think of myself as an antenna. There's only one song, and Adam and Eve wrote it; the rest is a variation on a theme."

How much credit do/should we give to the person listed as "writer" in the liner notes?

Going back and tying this in with 'technical ability'...if inspiration strikes - a riff pops in your head - do you have the technical ability to play the riff or melody on a musical instrument? Yes? Then that's all that matters, really.

My two favorite guitarists and musicians (as well as Axl).

And as a guitar player, I can tell you that Slash has just as much technical ability as Page, and may even surpass him in certain areas. That being said, Page has my vote. Zeppelin was his band, he was the mastermind between the music and could compose, produce, and completely see a vision come to fruition. His solos can be just as good as Slash's too. Tell me Achilles Last Stand, Stairway, Heartbreaker, No Quarter, Since Ive Been Loving You, and more arent as good if not better than a lot of Slash's solos. He also came up with so many iconic riffs and mind blowing compositions like Kashmir and Ten Years Gone. As for his live playing, Page was a master at improv, jamming, and taking Zep's music to a different level. Unfortunately, drugs and sloppy technique could sometimes hinder his playing (especially in 1977). For whatever reason, his post Zeppelin work has been pretty underwhelming imo (I still really dig it, it just isnt nearly on the same caliber as Zeppelin) and Im still waiting to see him one day. :( He is the reason I love music and picked up guitar.

Slash is also incredible, and I connect with so much of his playing. Solos like the ones in Estranges, November Rain, SCOM, Coma, Locomotive's outro, and so many others just send shivers down my spine. Slash really benefited from the guys in GNR filling out his sound but I do love his post GNR work. Slash is also killer live.

I love them both, and it is close for me. But Page has my vote rock4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IvMzyJFoXc

Edited by ZoSoRose

The fact that Slash is at least in the same discussion says a lot about his ability.

Says a lot about his fans overrating the shit out of him. The only people who think Slash is at Jimmy Page level are diehard GNR fans and stupid kids.

Nah, by now he's earned his name being on the same list, maybe not near or at the top like Jimmy, but certainly somewhere around Duane Allman or Angus Young level.

Can't say anything about Allman as I haven't listened to them, but Slash is 10x the guitarist Angus is.

Can't say anything about Allman as I haven't listened to them, but Slash is 10x the guitarist Angus is.

agreed! but who doesnt love angus? :thumbsup:

And as a guitar player, I can tell you that Slash has just as much technical ability as Page, and may even surpass him in certain areas. That being said, Page has my vote. Zeppelin was his band, he was the mastermind between the music and could compose, produce, and completely see a vision come to fruition. His solos can be just as good as Slash's too. Tell me Achilles Last Stand, Stairway, Heartbreaker, No Quarter, Since Ive Been Loving You, and more arent as good if not better than a lot of Slash's solos. He also came up with so many iconic riffs and mind blowing compositions like Kashmir and Ten Years Gone. As for his live playing, Page was a master at improv, jamming, and taking Zep's music to a different level. Unfortunately, drugs and sloppy technique could sometimes hinder his playing (especially in 1977). For whatever reason, his post Zeppelin work has been pretty underwhelming imo (I still really dig it, it just isnt nearly on the same caliber as Zeppelin) and Im still waiting to see him one day. :( He is the reason I love music and picked up guitar.

Slash is also incredible, and I connect with so much of his playing. Solos like the ones in Estranges, November Rain, SCOM, Coma, Locomotive's outro, and so many others just send shivers down my spine. Slash really benefited from the guys in GNR filling out his sound but I do love his post GNR work. Slash is also killer live.

:thumbsup: I really liked this post. I also really like both a lot, and clearly Slash was influenced by Page. I know many will disagree with this but the three best guitarist period I feel are Hendrix, Page, and Van Halen. Hendrix was the gypsys. He raised the bar on guitar playing in every single way. Say what you will about Berry or any guitarist before him, but Hendrix really wrote the book blues based rock music. And Page was the Wizard. He could create a mood with the guitar like nobody before or sense. So many bands of so many different genres of music wouldn't exist without his playing. From gnr all the way to Tool, and all bands inbetween. And Edward Van Halen raised the bar that Hendrix set. He was the perfect mix of technical ability and still have amazing feel. He really is the "orignal shredder." Without those first two Van Halen albums, guys like Buckethead and Bumblefoot wouldn't have done half of the things with a guitar that they did.

Argue if you will, but these three guys are the holy trinity of guitarists.

agreed! but who doesnt love angus? :thumbsup:

I'm not much of an AC/DC fan. :shrugs:

^^ I would add Jeff Beck to that list. He is a legend, and a huge influence on jazz/rock fusion and just an all around amazing player. I am still amazed at how he can manipulate the guitar and get very specific and well nuanced sounds out of it at his command

:thumbsup: I really liked this post. I also really like both a lot, and clearly Slash was influenced by Page. I know many will disagree with this but the three best guitarist period I feel are Hendrix, Page, and Van Halen. Hendrix was the gypsys. He raised the bar on guitar playing in every single way. Say what you will about Berry or any guitarist before him, but Hendrix really wrote the book blues based rock music. And Page was the Wizard. He could create a mood with the guitar like nobody before or sense. So many bands of so many different genres of music wouldn't exist without his playing. From gnr all the way to Tool, and all bands inbetween. And Edward Van Halen raised the bar that Hendrix set. He was the perfect mix of technical ability and still have amazing feel. He really is the "orignal shredder." Without those first two Van Halen albums, guys like Buckethead and Bumblefoot wouldn't have done half of the things with a guitar that they did.

Awesome post too! Those 3 really were pioneers. I would also throw Clapton in there because of what he did in the 60s but I guess it can be argued that Hendrix did it all. Anyways, those were all truly innovators. They aren't the only ones of course, but that is a great list. Slash may not have really been an innovator, but he still kicked so much ass

Those three guitarists were game changers, but they were also the ones that composed most of the songs themselves. It gets overlooked in Ed's case because of his solos, but he composed a lot of the melodies, maybe Alex did more than we think.

Hendrix learned from the masters, and saying he's a complete original's debatable, but what he did from the time he went to England to the stuff on Cry of Love? Strong melodies, he wasn't straight up blues, but he took every trick in that chitlin circuit book and brought it with him to the UK, took some of their spacy psychedelia and embodied Swingin' London with the Delta. Cream was doing the same but face it, they were students of the blues learning from records. Jimi experienced it firsthand. Just a lot of tools and tricks he was able to pick up by watching and listening, that the likes of Clapton would have no idea about.

Eddie Van Halen, and Slash is this way too, they have the ability to figure shit out just by listening to it. But I'm sure there's guitarists that left them puzzled on how they played a certain way as well.

They all succeeded in the studio and on the stage, even if they weren't hitting it out of the park each and every show. But it's live, people get sick, have issues, and sometimes those moments are going to affect their playing. They didn't play shows with the intent for them to be recorded. They were shows for the people in that audience.

I wish Slash and Dave Navarro did more shows together, because they seem like they play off each other like they've been together in bands for years.

Obviously anything from Zep is going to top all other rock bands. Just like Michael Jackson for pop music. Beatles for pop rock. Throw in Hendrixs and Elvis......

People say that Kobe isn't as good as Michael like it's an insult. But it is really a compliment. To be considered as a valid discussion against Michael or Page is a pretty high honor.

It doesn't say much about his ability when he's getting slaughtered on a GN'R fan forum. :shrugs:

Ha. Not really a fair statement. There are people here who hate Slash more than Axl does. Take away the Axl Nutter's opinions and most music fans agree that Slash is a hall of fame level guitar player. I wouldn't base his skill level on what a few Axl die-hard fans think.

Take away Slash and how different is Appetite or the Illusions?

Axl diehards will proclaim his greatness and use appetite/illusions as examples......but will then turn around and 100% diminish Slash's role in creating those albums. Friggen weird stuff.

He isn't Page, but he is still great.

We should be celebrating what all these guys bring to our music world. Not hating on them.

Edited by Groghan

I pick Slash and GnR basically made Led Zeppelin sound old and that saying it lightly. I like Page, his stuff is cool but didn't he like stole most of his stuff? I believe that the first 5 albums are stolen but whatever. I prefer Slash simply because he sounds better, writes better riffs, solos, etc.

Obviously anything from Zep is going to top all other rock bands. Just like Michael Jackson for pop music. Beatles for pop rock. Throw in Hendrixs and Elvis......

People say that Kobe isn't as good as Michael like it's an insult. But it is really a compliment. To be considered as a valid discussion against Michael or Page is a pretty high honor.

It doesn't say much about his ability when he's getting slaughtered on a GN'R fan forum. :shrugs:

Ha. Not really a fair statement. There are people here who hate Slash more than Axl does. Take away the Axl Nutter's opinions and most music fans agree that Slash is a hall of fame level guitar player. I wouldn't base his skill level of n what a few Axl die-hard fans think.

Take away Slash and how different is Appetite or the Illusions?

Axl diehards will proclaim his greatness and use appetite/illusions as examples......but will then turn around and 100% diminish Slash's role in creating those albums. Friggen weird stuff.

He isn't Page, but he is still great.

We should be celebrating what all these guys bring to our music world. Not hating on them.

Ummm... You do realise that you can see who voted for what, right? The names on the Page list don't match your list of nutters very well. :shrugs:

Unless you've completely lost it and decided that anyone who dares to vote against an inferior guitar player is a nutter. In that case, carry on.

Unless your name is Hendrix, you're gonna get slaughtered against that guy.

Here? Well, I guess so.

Edited by Damn_Smooth

I pick Slash and GnR basically made Led Zeppelin sound old and that saying it lightly. I like Page, his stuff is cool but didn't he like stole most of his stuff? I believe that the first 5 albums are stolen but whatever. I prefer Slash simply because he sounds better, writes better riffs, solos, etc.

I don't think Page had much impact on Slash as much as the bands in the mid-late 70s did.

I don't think Page had much impact on Slash as much as the bands in the mid-late 70s did.

You might be on to something here. That Super Bowl hat does show a definite disco influence. :shrugs:

You might be on to something here. That Super Bowl hat does show a definite disco influence. :shrugs:

:rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol: n I agree with the influences of Slash and I also prefer those bands from the 70s like Aerosmith and ACDC over Zep so I guess I have a very biased opinion.

@ Dalsh

You guys are too funny. Jimmy Page was the KING of 70's guitar players, so you just contradicted yourself but whatever.

@ Mexzilla

I hate it when people say "Page stole all of his stuff" because that is not completly true. Did he "borrow" things here and there, yes. But that's what all the old blues guys did. Muddy Waters stole from Elmore James, Elmore James stole from John Lee Hooker, and Hooker stole from Robert Johnson. And Johnson probably stole from people also, but we have no true record of that. I have a recording of either John Lee Hooker or Elmore James singing sweet home Chicago, and they claim it as an original song. But Robert Johnson did that song 15 years or so earlier. And just because Johnson did it first doesn't mean he wrote it. And besides the fact they all do the songs a little differently.

But back to Jimmy Page, I would say somewhere around 90% of all of Zeppelin's music that he wrote was completly original. Mostly lyrics are borrowed from older songs, so that is more Robert Plant's doing than Page. And take the song Traveling riverside blues, Zeppelin's version is way different than Johnson's original. Page rewrote most of the music to that song, so in essence it is just as much his song as Johnson's.

Don't take my word for it, hear it for yourself Johnson's version

Zeppelin's

Oh and one more thing, Jimmy Page played the guitar in so many different tunings. He was really the first "rock" player to do that. Slash plays everyting in E or Eb, maybe the occasional drop D. Nothing close to the types of tunings that Page did.

Edited by Mike420

Awesome post.

Unless your name is Hendrix, you're gonna get slaughtered against that guy.

Not exactly. There's always Eddie Van Halen.