Jimmy Page vs. Slash

Iron MikeyJ

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have been wanting to do this for a while so here goes. This is not intended to be a trolling thread, just an open debate. I am not going to get upset if you disagree with me, and I hope you all can do the same.

For me it is a no brainer, Jimmy Page trumps Slash any day of the week. The only honest adavantage slash has is I think he is more technically profficiant. Which some put a lot of weight into that, but I think feeling is way more important. Even though Slash does have a great feel, not like Jimmy's. But that is it for slash. Page scores major points because he is the only guitar player in his band. I feel it shows Slash's and others limitations that they need to another guitarist to fill out the sound. And let's be honest, Slash's body of work doesn't add up. Page has written more famous riffs, more famous solos, and has influenced more guitarists, including Slash himself. I am not trying to knock Slash, I am just stating my opinion. Page just has WAAAY more blues in his soul than Slash does. And slash had Izzy to help write those riffs and songs, Page is the only guitarist in Zeppelin.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Page for me. I prefer Slash, but I don't think it's even close: Page wrote and produced so many classics, and is responsible for a lot of shit that influenced so many people.

He's also a better songwriter compared to Slash imo, and overall can do more when it comes to having the full vision of a song realized.

Gnr and Led are my two favorites bands, it's hard to choose. Slash made memorable solo's, but overall it's Page for me.

Yeah, for sure. If the question was: 'who wrote better solos, Page or Slash?', I'd vote Slash. I just connect with them better. I feel like his solos have that balance between always being melodic, yet they always rock too.

There is always a start, middle and end to most of his Guns solos. A clear direction. On everything else it's Page tho, and it's not like he didn't come up with classic solos as well.

Edited by Rovim

The fact that Slash is at least in the same discussion says a lot about his ability.

Obviously anything from Zep is going to top all other rock bands. Just like Michael Jackson for pop music. Beatles for pop rock. Throw in Hendrixs and Elvis......

People say that Kobe isn't as good as Michael like it's an insult. But it is really a compliment. To be considered as a valid discussion against Michael or Page is a pretty high honor.

The fact that Slash is at least in the same discussion says a lot about his ability.

Obviously anything from Zep is going to top all other rock bands. Just like Michael Jackson for pop music. Beatles for pop rock. Throw in Hendrixs and Elvis......

People say that Kobe isn't as good as Michael like it's an insult. But it is really a compliment. To be considered as a valid discussion against Michael or Page is a pretty high honor.

It doesn't say much about his ability when he's getting slaughtered on a GN'R fan forum. :shrugs:

It doesn't say much about his ability when he's getting slaughtered on a GN'R fan forum. :shrugs:

I don't think, he would mind loosing from Page. Think he probably would agree as well.

I don't think, he would mind loosing from Page. Think he probably would agree as well.

I agree. It's the fact that we're on a GN'R message board that I find surprising. He does have some diehard fans here.

Overall?? Page for the riffs.

Live? Slash.

"Page has more blues in his soul than Slash??"

Yes on both accounts. Kashmir, whole lotta love, heartbreaker, how many more times, rock and roll, black dog, misty mountain hop, and thats just to name a few. That list is greater riffing than jungle, sweet child, and anything else slash has done.

And the blues part is a no contest. Just go and watch since I've been loving you. More blues inspired playing in the first minute of that song than slash's whole career combined.

And I also think slash himself would say page is better. And you guys are right it is a compliment to be in the same discussion with a true guitar legend like jimmy page.

Edited by Mike420