Slash vs. Buckethead Vs. BBF

Iron MikeyJ

72 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok everybody, I know this is going to start a shit storm, but why not? Sometimes we need a good ole' argument. It's good for the soul :devilshades:

For me it's a no brainer, Slash has left a mark on the history of rock that Buckethead hasn't even sniffed. I do think Bucket is the more technically profficiant player, but Slash's work speaks for it's self. The riffs, the solos, and his "feel" trumps anything Buckethead has ever recorded.

I look foreward to your rebuttles.....

I added BBF to the discusion just to add another "fun" little element. :bitchfight:

Edited by Mike420

All of the above, except the gnr part. This is not intended to be a "who is best for gnr" thread. It is meant who is the best guitarist period. Technically profficiant, greatest impact, best riffs, best solos, best music, and anything else you want to consider. Just pick one and defend your pick, not that hard guys.

Who is technically a better singer, Axl Rose or Pavoratti?

Technical ability is only one criteria. Pavoratti owns Axl on the opera stage, but Pavoratti would get booed off a rock stage. So which one is honestly better? It is all very subjective.

Technically it's Bumblefoot. The guy can do anything with the instrument. Sometimes it's just a bit too wanky though, and his punk style isn't always to my taste.

As far as combining exceptional technical ability with enjoyable melodic playing goes, it's Buckethead. He can play almost as well as Bumblefoot, but his music is much more enjoyable and versatile.

For creating enjoyable contemporary music and fitting best in GNR, it's Slash. The guy's riffs (and solos when he's trying) are up there with the best.

Voted Bumble because his approach to theory and to technique is what made me want to adopt a more serious approach to music in general and that was ten years ago...

Overall, though, I'd say bacardimayne's post sums it up.

Slash : iconic, best fit for GnR and wrote some very memorable solos

Buckethead : great shredder with a cool sense of melody ( which is to be appreciated )

Bumblefoot : insane technician with a taste for experimentation

Voted Bumble because his approach to theory and to technique is what made me want to adopt a more serious approach to music in general and that was ten years ago...

Overall, though, I'd say bacardimayne's post sums it up.

Slash : iconic, best fit for GnR and wrote some very memorable solos

Buckethead : great shredder with a cool sense of melody ( which is to be appreciated )

Bumblefoot : insane technician with a taste for experimentation

Well, this.......thank you.

Without thinking of technic, Slash is my personal preference.

I'll go with Slash for the same reason I prefer him over Malmsteen, Batio, and Vai. Technical ability is only so important, Slash takes a simple chord progression and brings it to life while sending fucking chills down my spine, Buckethead and Bumblefoot are without a doubt great players but they don't have that same effect on me

In a technical view point its a toss up between BH and BBF but as far as there music goes slash easily wins here. I believe Slash has created in his historic career by far better music than those 2 combined; with his GnR days, snakepit, VR, and now his solo stuff. To me its how the guitarist sound and just all out lets loose live while being able to maintain the respect for the song their playing and Slash does that better than any guitarist in my book. Still I like BH and BBF but im just a big fan of Slash and GnR.

Perhaps it's because I'm a little more unfamiliar with the other two, but I can always tell Slash's guitar style as soon as I hear a note or two. I don't need to know the song to know it's him.

People will compare technical expertise and innovation, but what matters to me is how well can a guitar player capture his own sound and style; how much can he differentiate himself from the rest. Likewise, how proficient is the guitar player at writing and producing iconic licks and solos. It's on that basis that I pick Slash over the other two. If this were simply a matter of technical proficiency, I might be more inclined to go with Bumble or Bucket. But shredders and guitar virtuosos are a dime a dozen.

Someone might very well argue the same points and come to a different conclusion. Like I said, I've never listened much to the solo work of either Bumble or Bucket. But other than Bucket's solo in TWAT, I can't think of anyone else who has written and recorded as many iconic guitar parts as Slash has in reference to GNR. To me, that's what matters and is a major part of GNR's success. Playing a million notes per minute is an impressive technical feat, but give me a Sweet Child O' Mine intro and solo or a blistering November Rain guitar outro any day.

Playing a million notes per minute is an impressive technical feat, but give me a Sweet Child O' Mine intro and solo or a blistering November Rain guitar outro any day.

Agreed. I don't know enough about the technical aspects of playing guitar to comment on who's better in that regard, but I really feel that there is a connection with the guitar solos to the rest of the song that can be more powerful than how many notes are played, how fast, etc.

How the solo relates to the lyrical content and the emotional element that it contributes is more amazing to me than technical virtuosity (as admirable as that still is). My favourite GNR song is Estranged and when I hear those soaring solos in between Axl's lyrics and the dialogue that it creates, it just takes me to another place that can't really be described. Despite the fact that both the solos are probably easier to play than some of their other material, the power that it has in communication is to me the essence of music's purpose.

Slash has been playing guitar for over 30 years. You don't think if he wanted to be a better technical player he couldn't be? I don't know much about all the technical stuff, I only know what I like when I listen to it. How fast someone can play isn't a criteria for me to like a song, a solo, an intro or outro. Slash just has a style and tone that I've always loved, and not just his work in Guns, I enjoy everything he's ever done.

The ironic thing is that Slash is more technically proficient than you give him credit for (see Serial Killer) and Buckethead is more emotional than you give him credit for (the whole of the Colma album). I love both of these guitarists. Bucket is more, esoteric, an acquired taste, whereas Slash has created riffs and solos for a generation. I will choose Slash. Bumblefoot seems better at tweeting and making a gigantic arse of himself than playing a guitar. When Bumble quits, watch all of the Axl fanatics turn against him!

The ironic thing is that Slash is more technically proficient than you give him credit for (see Serial Killer) and Buckethead is more emotional than you give him credit for (the whole of the Colma album). I love both of these guitarists. Bucket is more, esoteric, an acquired taste, whereas Slash has created riffs and solos for a generation. I will choose Slash. Bumblefoot seems better at tweeting and making a gigantic arse of himself than playing a guitar. When Bumble quits, watch all of the Axl fanatics turn against him!

Nah, I'm willing to bet all of the bitter people will miss Ron. They all hated Bucket until he left. :shrugs:

Slash has been playing guitar for over 30 years. You don't think if he wanted to be a better technical player he couldn't be?

I don't think Slash has the ability to do half of the things Ron is able to do on the guitar, no. Whether you like them or not is a matter of taste, but it doesn't make the skill irrelevant.