MATT SORUM TALKS GNR BREAKUP

Mao5

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one hand I want to read it. On the other hand I don't want to spend money on the giant douche that is Matt Sorum.

Really, he comes across as an ass talking like this. I'd probably still buy his book, even though GnR and VR are the only relevant things in it.

a)Matt did coke and booze like the other members SO it´s impossible that he remembers everything.

I think it's impossible for him to remember *everything* (I can't remember every single thing I did 10 years ago -- for example). But from the trio Slash, Duff and Matt, he was the most sober member. Slash and Duff were dying on and off stage. You could clearly see in their faces that they didn't even know where they were. Truth is, Matt remembers things they don't. Not only about Axl, but about them, which is cool.

I would love to hear Axl's side of the story though.

Edited by pi2loc

I always got the feeling from Matt that he would stand no shit off people in general. And I bet he's let it rip with Slash and Duff in the past. So hearing his side would be cool as he won't give a crap about holding things back.

Yeah what you see is what you get with matt

Axl or Izzys book, that would bee interesting.

hmm, i don't think so : izzy can't write anything interesting because he's on axl's payroll... and axl's book would be full of revisionism and propaganda

agreed

moreover, axl's book would be written by del, not very exciting.

Axl's book would be amazing. Most of all because he's just brutally honest. And even though it might not even be "the truth", at least it's how he sees the truth. And that alone should be amazingly fascinating to any GnR fan past or present.

It sounds like he's toying with the idea of writing a book, more than committing to it. He also said he was going to make a GNR movie, too, but without the music, it would be half-assed.

Matt's got stories that wouldn't have anything to do with GNR & VR, but how many people are going to care about Tori Amos and The Cult?

1) "Painted on my Heart" by The Cult that he drums on is a great song.

2) I bet he has some great F'ing stories from the early 90's coming into the fray with the worlds' greatest band just hitting their peak...I'd be interested to hear them.

He was in his teens playing professionally back in the 70s in Orange County. There's going to be 15 years worth of stories before even getting to GNR.

GNR were on Led Zep "Song Remains the Same" level of weirdness and fame when he joined.

Axl or Izzys book, that would bee interesting.

hmm, i don't think so : izzy can't write anything interesting because he's on axl's payroll... and axl's book would be full of revisionism and propaganda

He shows up at gigs here and there, but you can read interviews he's done, he's still pretty critical of what Axl did. I think he's prob. the most mysterious one out of the band that no one really knows anything about, but he might not have much to say about the years since leaving, or it might be really fascinating, and nothing to do with music. Most of Neil Peart's books have nothing to do with drumming.

I think Axl likes keeping the mystique up, and would rather have people speculate, but he could do a "Chronicles" like book and just focus on a few periods in his life. I think the story around "Chinese Democracy" would be a book in itself, and the one most likely for Axl to write about. Del's prob. documented everything, but knows Axl would just take it and bury it in legal red tape. I also think Del prob. looked at "Hammer of the Gods" and does not want to do that kind of book, even though he easily could and it would prob. sell millions.

I'm surprised this thread made it to page four without anybody commenting on the title saying something like "How can he talk about the GNR break-up when the band didn't break-up? :shrugs: " or something to that extent.

Anyways, I'd actually give Matt's book a read if he wrote one. I'm come to like Matt a lot more in recent years. I never really cared for his drumming but he seems like a pretty genuine guy. He is who he is.

his perspective is very interesting as well because he was not an orignial member. brought in on turbulant times with an original member being fired. he probably sees things in a whole different light no matter where his loyalties lie nowadays. and as fucked up as he was, he was not as nearly fucked up as any of the other three who have put out books so he may remember more or more clarity in stories. also he has been most positive of axl over the last 10 years. it seems as though as if even he thought axl was a fucking prick, he thought he was also a fucking genious. id read anyones book that has ever been in gnr besides gilby. you need to take all of their perspectives and try to roll it into one and that is the true story. i think izzy would be the most interesting and true because he is the least of a media whore. his would be blood and guts.