Rolling Stones 50th thread

dalsh327

There's all sorts of stuff coming up, figured it was a good time as any to start a thread over the next year where people can post stuff on the Stones. Feel free to backtrack over the past few years with the Deluxe Edition, but I'm starting this one off with the "Grrrr" collection.

They have the 50 song version coming out, but they're putting an 80 track version out.

SUPER DELUXE EDITION / 80 TRACKS

80 TRACKS ON 4CDS

INCLUDING TWO BRAND NEW TRACKS,36 PAGE BOOK, TOUR POSTER POSTCARD SET,BONUS CD OF PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED FIRST EVER STUDIO RECORDINGS

PREVIOUSLY UNRELEASED 7” VINYL BBC RADIO SESSION EP

RARE EARLY POSTER, 96 PAGE HARDBACK A3 BOOK

CD 1

Come On

I Wanna Be Your Man

Not Fade Away

That’s How Strong My Love Is

It’s All Over Now

Little Red Rooster

The Last Time

(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

Heart Of Stone

Get Off Of My Cloud

She Said Yeah

I ’m Free

Play With Fire

Time Is On My Side

19th Nervous Breakdown

Paint It, Black

Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby, Standing In The Shadow?

She’s A Rainbow

Under My Thumb

Out Of Time

As Tears Go By

CD 2

Let’s Spend The Night Together

Mother’s Little Helper

We Love You

Dandelion

Lady Jane

Flight 505

2,000 Light Years From Home

Ruby Tuesday

Jumpin’ Jack Flash

Sympathy For The Devil

Child Of The Moon (rmk)

Salt Of The Earth

Honky Tonk Women

Midnight Rambler

Gimme Shelter

You Got The Silver

You Can’t Always Get What You Want

Street Fighting Man

Wild Horses

CD 3

Brown Sugar

Bitch

Tumbling Dice

Rocks Off

Happy

Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

Angie

It's Only Rock 'N' Roll

Dance Little Sister

Fool To Cry

Respectable

Miss You

Shattered

Far Away Eyes

Beast Of Burden

Emotional Rescue

Dance Pt. 1

She's So Cold

Waiting On A Friend

Neighbours

CD 4

Start Me Up

Undercover Of The Night

She Was Hot

The Harlem Shuffle

Mixed Emotions

Highwire

Almost Hear You Sigh

You Got Me Rocking

Love Is Strong

I Go Wild

Like A Rolling Stone

Anybody Seen My Baby?

Saint Of Me

Don't Stop

Rough Justice

Rain Fall Down

Streets Of Love

Plundered My Soul

Doom And Gloom

One More Shot

7” VINYL EP / SIDE A

Route 66 – BBC Session

Cops And Robbers – BBC Session

7” VINYL EP / SIDE B

You Better Move On – BBC Session

Mona – BBC Session

BONUS CD – IBC DEMOS

Diddley Daddy – iBC Demo Session

Road Runner – iBC Demo Session

Bright Lights Big City – iBC Demo Session

Honey What’s Wrong – iBC Demo Session

I Want To Be Loved – iBC Demo Session

• Replies 454
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was a massive disappointment. They hyped an unspecified event for their 50th on Facebook like it was the biggest thing ever, people were expecting an album, or a world tour or both, and then it turns out it's another compilation. What is this, the hundredth? Fuck this.

I'm a bit psyched about the two new songs though. I just wish that, while they got together two make two new songs, they had stayed together a little more, and write and record like twelve tracks and put out a new album. Would it have been that difficult?

4 Tour dates in December have been rumoured for the new Barclay Center in Brooklyn, NY (2) and London (2) for some time now and Keef may have confimed that in a recent interview so maybe there is more exciting news to come.........

Keith Richards: 'We've booked shows in London and New York'

Rolling Stones guitarist Keith Richards has revealed that the band have been booked to play live shows in London and New York.

The legendary rockers had long been rumoured to be playing live again this year to celebrate their 50th anniversary, with frontman Mick Jagger claiming in July that the band were planning on sharing a stage together this autumn.

Despite the speculation, the band turned down the chance to play the Olympics opening ceremony and denied reports that they would play two shows at London's O2 Arena this November. But in an interview with Q magazine, Richards let slip that they had booked a run of shows in both the UK and the US – although he didn't reveal when the dates would take place.

He said: We've got some shows in London, I believe, and in New York, but I really can't talk about any of that at the moment. They've put the gag on me on this. You can hint!

Richards also said the band's rehearsals were going from strength to strength, adding: "Everybody relies upon their instincts, especially once you start working regularly together again. Because it pulls all the bits and pieces together, which when you're not working and playing with the guys, dissipates, obviously; you're not having that immediate contact.??

"But kind of two days of hanging around with the guys again, a certain demon energy takes over and you wonder where it's coming from!"

The Rolling Stones will release a brand new Greatest Hits compilation in November titled 'GRRR!. The collection, which is being released to coincide with the band's 50th anniversary, will feature two brand new songs, 'Gloom And Doom' and 'One Last Shot', which were recorded in Paris last month. This is the first new material the band have recorded since their 2005 album 'A Bigger Bang'.

http://www.nme.com/news/the-rolling-stones/66517

It was a massive disappointment. They hyped an unspecified event for their 50th on Facebook like it was the biggest thing ever, people were expecting an album, or a world tour or both, and then it turns out it's another compilation. What is this, the hundredth? Fuck this.

I'm a bit psyched about the two new songs though. I just wish that, while they got together two make two new songs, they had stayed together a little more, and write and record like twelve tracks and put out a new album. Would it have been that difficult?

There are "new" songs on Some Girls and Exile that people liked. Between those and the upcoming songs, that's an album's worth.

It's a pretty comprehensive collection compared to anything they've put out before.

I think there's some great archives coming out from the Stones over the past few years.

There are "new" songs on Some Girls and Exile that people liked. Between those and the upcoming songs, that's an album's worth.

It's a pretty comprehensive collection compared to anything they've put out before.

I think there's some great archives coming out from the Stones over the past few years.

Exactly! The Stones have released an amazing number of excellent archive titles the last few years and have another nice one, in conjunction wit ABKCO, coming up in "Charlie is My Darling" which not only includes a documentary from the 65 Irish tour but a CD of unreleased live songs from the same tour..already preordered mine..

http://www.amazon.com/Charlie-Darling-Ireland-Super-Deluxe/dp/B009186E3O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349809557&sr=8-1&keywords=charlie+is+my+darling+super+deluxe+edition

It is nice to finally see them opening up the vaults.................

This. From the way they hyped and promoted if I was expecting an album, a world tour, or both. Man, most bands could learn a lot from the way this stuff was being hyped and promoted. *cough-gnr-cough* But this is essentially a bunch of tracks everybody already owns + two new ones. So basically I'm going to buy two horribly expensive new tracks. That's a bit of a rip-off. I already own The Singles Collection and Forty Licks. That's more Stones compilation albums that anybody should need, despite there being loads more.

This. From the way they hyped and promoted if I was expecting an album, a world tour, or both. Man, most bands could learn a lot from the way this stuff was being hyped and promoted. *cough-gnr-cough* But this is essentially a bunch of tracks everybody already owns + two new ones. So basically I'm going to buy two horribly expensive new tracks. That's a bit of a rip-off. I already own The Singles Collection and Forty Licks. That's more Stones compilation albums that anybody should need, despite there being loads more.

The Stones have always thrown a bit of hype into their tours since the 80s and sold expensive swag at their shows. I think the bigger deal this year are "Charlie Is My Darling" and "Crossfire Hurricane" and the four concerts. The collection's pretty comprehensive, prob. could've put a Blu Ray version of it out, being that most of those songs they've either made videos for, or performed on TV.

"Singles Collection" is great, but you wind up skipping through some of those songs, for some reason I never liked "Forty Licks" because of how they laid the songs out. This one's more like a comprehensive singles collection in running order.

I want an Exile remaster or remix. yes its a perfect album but it sounds like Mick is singing into a towel half the time.

Another one? What was wrong with the one they did a couple of years ago? There's still people who prefer the Virgin Records reissue with a few of the "muddy" songs that got remixed and burned a copy mixing them both.

Exactly my thoughts

The Stones have always thrown a bit of hype into their tours since the 80s and sold expensive swag at their shows. I think the bigger deal this year are "Charlie Is My Darling" and "Crossfire Hurricane" and the four concerts. The collection's pretty comprehensive, prob. could've put a Blu Ray version of it out, being that most of those songs they've either made videos for, or performed on TV.

"Singles Collection" is great, but you wind up skipping through some of those songs, for some reason I never liked "Forty Licks" because of how they laid the songs out. This one's more like a comprehensive singles collection in running order.

Granted, the vaults thing is fantastic for the fans. Charlie Is My Darling etc and gems for the hardcore Stones lovers. But the "mainstream audience" and advertising focus have been the book and Grrr. Now, I love the book. Great stuff! But Grrr.... everything I said earlier. Sure it's pretty comprehensive, but it's still pretty useless to anybody who already has a Stones compilation as it'll have about 70 or 80 percent overlap. Especially with either the Singles Collection or Forty Licks. So it's still just something the hardcore fans will pay too much money for in order to have those 2 new tracks. In either case absolutely not worth the money.