Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Rolling Stones 50th thread

• Please log in to reply
456 replies to this topic

username

username

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,860 posts
  • 08-January 04

It was a massive disappointment. They hyped an unspecified event for their 50th on Facebook like it was the biggest thing ever, people were expecting an album, or a world tour or both, and then it turns out it's another compilation. What is this, the hundredth? Fuck this.

I'm a bit psyched about the two new songs though. I just wish that, while they got together two make two new songs, they had stayed together a little more, and write and record like twelve tracks and put out a new album. Would it have been that difficult?

This. From the way they hyped and promoted if I was expecting an album, a world tour, or both. Man, most bands could learn a lot from the way this stuff was being hyped and promoted. *cough-gnr-cough* But this is essentially a bunch of tracks everybody already owns + two new ones. So basically I'm going to buy two horribly expensive new tracks. That's a bit of a rip-off. I already own The Singles Collection and Forty Licks. That's more Stones compilation albums that anybody should need, despite there being loads more.

The Stones have always thrown a bit of hype into their tours since the 80s and sold expensive swag at their shows. I think the bigger deal this year are "Charlie Is My Darling" and "Crossfire Hurricane" and the four concerts. The collection's pretty comprehensive, prob. could've put a Blu Ray version of it out, being that most of those songs they've either made videos for, or performed on TV.

"Singles Collection" is great, but you wind up skipping through some of those songs, for some reason I never liked "Forty Licks" because of how they laid the songs out. This one's more like a comprehensive singles collection in running order.

Granted, the vaults thing is fantastic for the fans. Charlie Is My Darling etc and gems for the hardcore Stones lovers. But the "mainstream audience" and advertising focus have been the book and Grrr. Now, I love the book. Great stuff! But Grrr.... everything I said earlier. Sure it's pretty comprehensive, but it's still pretty useless to anybody who already has a Stones compilation as it'll have about 70 or 80 percent overlap. Especially with either the Singles Collection or Forty Licks. So it's still just something the hardcore fans will pay too much money for in order to have those 2 new tracks. In either case absolutely not worth the money.

Chinese Democracy starts NOW 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008!!!
Chinese Democracy II starts NOW 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015!!! (lolcd2) 
Three hour meeting starts NOW!!!

Silent Jay

Silent Jay

SOUL MONSTER

• SILVER
  • 3,040 posts
  • 04-January 12

I like it.

Edited by Silent Jay, 11 October 2012 - 04:01 AM.

Paris 2006/Geneva 2010/Lyon 2012

911886123.jpg

Tacos Or Animals

Daedalus

Daedalus

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 929 posts
  • 03-May 10
^me too. :)
It's a catchy song...

When I see footage of Guns N' Roses, I see that fucking hunger and attitude. You could not fuck with those five guys. It was just raw. It was this lean, hungry thing on its way up.  - Slash

When we started we wanted to be the coolest, sexiest, meanest, nastiest, loudest, funnest band.  - Axl

classicrawker

classicrawker

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 7,168 posts
  • 06-February 10
Now that sounds like a Stones song...I like it
IT IS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SLASH FAN!

The Real McCoy

The Real McCoy

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 5,682 posts
  • 14-February 11
Not bad at all!

"I'm the original rock n' roll cliche, Gypsy, pirate, cowboy, You wouldn't last a minute in my boots, 'Cos baby, I'm the Real McCoy" - Hanoi Rocks

Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath

MYGNR Town Sheriff

• MOD SQUAD
  • 29,869 posts
  • 10-July 07
At break now, but looking forward to listening to it later. :)

"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothin'." - Robin Williams

Lithium

Lithium

Do you even Lith?

• SILVER
  • 22,887 posts
  • 09-October 05

I like it.

Fuck me, what a boring song.

SONOFABITCH

SONOFABITCH

Now You're Messin' With A....

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • 11-April 05
I like Doom and Gloom. I also liked Don't Stop. Mick Jagger and Keith Richards are still making fucking cool songs.

bacardimayne

bacardimayne

Fatter than ever

• SILVER
  • 16,365 posts
  • 10-May 08
I actually really like it.

dQOAHSG.png

Zeppelin

Zeppelin

SUPER GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts
  • 15-October 04
I'm not a Stones fan at all, but I heard Doom and Gloom on the radio this morning and it was refreshing. I didn't mind it at all.
Ramble On

Crash Diet

Crash Diet

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • 5,177 posts
  • 22-October 11

I like it.

me too. Stones delivers :devilshades:

For all the moaning people: shut the fuck up! They at least release new music, unlike some artists... (like Axl n' his band)

Best post ever: Damn_Smooth about DJ Ashba

Damn_Smooth, on 20 Aug 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

I'm butthurt that that jackass lives in a house like that. I don't have any talent either, why don't I have a mansion?

SONOFABITCH

SONOFABITCH

Now You're Messin' With A....

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,355 posts
  • 11-April 05
OH HELL YES. BOUT TIME!!!

Stones Tickets on Sale this Weekend?

http://www.showbiz41...ale-this-weeken

Edited by SONOFABITCH, 11 October 2012 - 01:03 PM.

username

username

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 21,860 posts
  • 08-January 04
If you can still make stuff this good in a few days, PLEASE make an album! :D

Chinese Democracy starts NOW 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008!!!
Chinese Democracy II starts NOW 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015!!! (lolcd2) 
Three hour meeting starts NOW!!!

Zint

Zint

• SILVER
  • 17,290 posts
  • 24-February 06

Hey hey, you got me ro...oh wait...new song!

Aw well,, they're still kickin' the can...gotta love that! :devilshades:

2i0u9oh.jpg

Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath

MYGNR Town Sheriff

• MOD SQUAD
  • 29,869 posts
  • 10-July 07
Holy fuck, Newark tickets will be mine

Newark is nearly 5 hours away, but idgaf

Also, Doom and Gloom is pretty damn good.

"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothin'." - Robin Williams

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users