Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

What was New-GNR's worst gig?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Poll: What was New-GNR's worst gig? (106 member(s) have cast votes)

What was New-GNR's worst gig?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • 12-December 08
I started a Best Gig thread a while back, but now let's look at the flip side.

What was NewGNR's worst gig?

This only includes shows where the band went on - riot shows in Philly and Vancouver are thereby omitted.

Rock In Rio Lisboa always strikes me as horrible because the sound mix is so bad we pretend to forget it exists, despite being one of the few proshot shows available from that period (Rock am Ring was filmed just 6 days after the Lisboa gig).

W. Adam S

W. Adam S

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • 18-February 06
Rio IV without doubt.
YNWA

Posted Image

Snowmass

Snowmass

SUPER GOD

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,242 posts
  • 22-October 08
Talk about between a rock & a hard place....tough question. We have hundreds of horrible/embarrassing shows to choose from....going to be tough to find the absolute worst.
Sail away sweet sister...sail across the sea...maybe you'll find someone who'll love you half as much as me...

bionic56

bionic56

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
  • 05-June 07
My honest opinion and i was there, London 2002 was terrible, he was in a shitty mood too, also took me til 6.30 am to get home as it was at the docklands arena which was an ass to get to.

Talk about between a rock & a hard place....tough question. We have hundreds of horrible/embarrassing shows to choose from....going to be tough to find the absolute worst.

What a dick, unless you are playing troll. If you think that then why you here, go and visit somewhere else.

Edited by bionic56, 18 October 2012 - 05:33 PM.

Mike420

Mike420

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts
  • 24-August 06
I have to give honerable mention to Detroit in 2002. I was at that show and Axl threw the mic up in the air during patience and just walked off stage and then the lights came on. It was just a really lackluster show the whole time, and that ending was just horriable. This show is one of the main reasons why I never truelly embraced that version of gnr.
I like the old band, I like the new band, I even liked that freaky 2001/02 band. Can't we all just get along??????

downzy

downzy

OH MY GOD

• MOD SQUAD
  • 4,068 posts
  • 18-February 06
I voted Rock In Rio IV, 2011 simply because so many people were watching. Having vocal difficulties is one thing, but when you add up some of the issues that were in the band's control (botched lyrics, botched performances - Bumble wearing the Star Wars helmet comes to mind, poor wardrobe - that big bird rain jacket definitely comes to mind) and things not in its control (really bad weather, coming on much later due to late set by System of a Down), it clearly is GNR's worst live performance since they started playing shows again in 2001.

But speaking from personal experience, having seen 14 concerts since 2002, I'd have to say Detroit '02 was the worst for a couple of reasons. First, Axl or someone (seemed like Axl) botched patience and abruptly ended the show. No encore, no Nightrain, just "good night" and show was over. Couple this with the fact that they played five new songs in a row which completely took the crowd out of the performance. Finally, one of the new songs they did play was Rhiad and it was just horrible (mind you, I don't like the recorded version either). It was the first time I got to see this new band it proved to be the worst performance out of all of them.

bacardimayne

bacardimayne

Fatter than ever

• SILVER
  • 16,353 posts
  • 10-May 08
VMA 2002

Axl's big chance in the spotlight and he blew it.

dQOAHSG.png

saber_

saber_

Axl Internet PR

• SILVER
  • 6,267 posts
  • 04-January 09
Old guns had far more horrible shows (often due to Slash's sloppy playing and Matt's boring drumming in the fast songs), but I suppose this section is for newGuns, so carry on.

"THEN COME ON NOW LET'S GOOO OOOO OOOO  OOOO OOOO!"

Estranged Reality

Estranged Reality

=:-o

• Admins
  • 15,417 posts
  • 04-November 06
Dublin '10 is some of the best Axl has ever sounded since the comeback, so I disagree with its inclusion. As for the rest of the list, even though Rio '11 sucked, I was way more disappointed by the one in '06 for some reason, and I think most fans would point to the '02 VMAs simply because it represented his largest exposure since coming back and that's still what the casual fan/average person relates NuGN'R to.

Old guns had far more horrible shows (often due to Slash's sloppy playing and Matt's boring drumming in the fast songs), but I suppose this section is for newGuns, so carry on.

i think back then, it gave them a more raw, sloppy rock n' roll appeal (apart from matt's 'boring' drumming, but that's a matter of opinion many would disagree with) - so people liked the various fuck-ups, whether technical or simply due to slash and co being drunk. axl's microphone quitting during ycbm at rio 2 and izzy taking over as axl flailed around stage pissed off screaming into his mic was epic rock n' roll.

by comparison, the newer gn'r is a tightly polished, sober, grand affair; which is fine, because they're not a bunch of 20-something young guys anymore and obviously are going to put on a more polished show, but that's why the stuff like weaker vocals or screw-ups during guitar solos stand out more -- it doesn't match the image, the vibe, or the atmosphere anymore.

Posted Image

And there was damage done but I made it home and woke up on the floor

Powerage5

Powerage5

2013 Death Pool Champ

• MOD SQUAD
  • 15,776 posts
  • 17-February 06

Dublin '10 is some of the best Axl has ever sounded since the comeback, so I disagree with its inclusion. As for the rest of the list, even though Rio '11 sucked, I was way more disappointed by the one in '06 for some reason, and I think most fans would point to the '02 VMAs simply because it represented his largest exposure since coming back and that's still what the casual fan/average person relates NuGN'R to.

i think back then, it gave them a more raw, sloppy rock n' roll appeal (apart from matt's 'boring' drumming, but that's a matter of opinion many would disagree with) - so people liked the various fuck-ups, whether technical or simply due to slash and co being drunk. axl's microphone quitting during ycbm at rio 2 and izzy taking over as axl flailed around stage pissed off screaming into his mic was epic rock n' roll.

by comparison, the newer gn'r is a tightly polished, sober, grand affair; which is fine, because they're not a bunch of 20-something young guys anymore and obviously are going to put on a more polished show, but that's why the stuff like weaker vocals or screw-ups during guitar solos stand out more -- it doesn't match the image, the vibe, or the atmosphere anymore.

Agreed on Dublin. Even if Axl was in a pissy mood, his vocals were ace.

13978513873_30aa82e9a0_z.jpg

Hamilton '10 | Wilkes-Barre '11 | Hamilton '11 | New York '12 x2 | Buffalo '13 | Brooklyn '13 | New York '13 | Bethlehem '14 | Las Vegas '14 x3
MyGNR's official Iron Maiden fanatic! US x20 | Canada x7 | Sweden x4 | Norway x2 | Wales | N. Ireland | England x5 | Russia x2 | Finland | Romania | Turkey | Croatia | Poland | Luxembourg | France

James Bond

James Bond

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,414 posts
  • 19-December 04
Definitely Rock in Rio IV. Lisboa in '06 wasn't great in retrospect, but it was better than Rio IV. Rio IV had so much potential to be the best show yet. Just the thought of getting a pro-shot post-2010 was enough to get everyone salivating considering we hadn't had one since 2006. It was assumed Axl would sound as good as 2010 and once word got out about Estranged, people were going nuts in anticipation. Guns first time back in Rio in ten years too. Lots of things going for it and it turned out to be an all around disaster.

5206.jpg

Toronto 2006 - Hamilton 2010 & 2011 - Buffalo 2013

GNRFan53

GNRFan53

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 743 posts
  • 15-September 11
This thread is the troll's home. :)
"Punctuality is the thief of time."

stumbleine

stumbleine

DEMI-GOD

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts
  • 02-April 12
yeah,I agree,Rio IV is the worst performance I've seen
by any band.and I've seen shit through the years.

bionic56

bionic56

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts
  • 05-June 07

yeah,I agree,Rio IV is the worst performance I've seen
by any band.and I've seen shit through the years.

I respect your opinion, but jeez that's a little over the top aint it ??? worst ever by any band ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOF1FJ7wGhw

Are you sure ???

ManetsBR

ManetsBR

FRONTMAN

• SILVER
  • 6,823 posts
  • 27-July 09
Why is Rock in Rio III (2001) on that list? Seriously, it is in my opinion one of the most amazing Guns N' Roses concerts, old and new.

V1C2CCg.jpg

"I found out what's happening in my own band on the internet" - Axl Rose

he actually said that! and people wonder why we are here... we gotta inform axl. duh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users