What was New-GNR's worst gig?

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

What was New-GNR's worst gig?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I started a Best Gig thread a while back, but now let's look at the flip side.

What was NewGNR's worst gig?

This only includes shows where the band went on - riot shows in Philly and Vancouver are thereby omitted.

Rock In Rio Lisboa always strikes me as horrible because the sound mix is so bad we pretend to forget it exists, despite being one of the few proshot shows available from that period (Rock am Ring was filmed just 6 days after the Lisboa gig).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My honest opinion and i was there, London 2002 was terrible, he was in a shitty mood too, also took me til 6.30 am to get home as it was at the docklands arena which was an ass to get to.

Talk about between a rock & a hard place....tough question. We have hundreds of horrible/embarrassing shows to choose from....going to be tough to find the absolute worst.

What a dick, unless you are playing cupcake. If you think that then why you here, go and visit somewhere else.

Edited by bionic56

I have to give honerable mention to Detroit in 2002. I was at that show and Axl threw the mic up in the air during patience and just walked off stage and then the lights came on. It was just a really lackluster show the whole time, and that ending was just horriable. This show is one of the main reasons why I never truelly embraced that version of gnr.

I voted Rock In Rio IV, 2011 simply because so many people were watching. Having vocal difficulties is one thing, but when you add up some of the issues that were in the band's control (botched lyrics, botched performances - Bumble wearing the Star Wars helmet comes to mind, poor wardrobe - that big bird rain jacket definitely comes to mind) and things not in its control (really bad weather, coming on much later due to late set by System of a Down), it clearly is GNR's worst live performance since they started playing shows again in 2001.

But speaking from personal experience, having seen 14 concerts since 2002, I'd have to say Detroit '02 was the worst for a couple of reasons. First, Axl or someone (seemed like Axl) botched patience and abruptly ended the show. No encore, no Nightrain, just "good night" and show was over. Couple this with the fact that they played five new songs in a row which completely took the crowd out of the performance. Finally, one of the new songs they did play was Rhiad and it was just horrible (mind you, I don't like the recorded version either). It was the first time I got to see this new band it proved to be the worst performance out of all of them.

Dublin '10 is some of the best Axl has ever sounded since the comeback, so I disagree with its inclusion. As for the rest of the list, even though Rio '11 sucked, I was way more disappointed by the one in '06 for some reason, and I think most fans would point to the '02 VMAs simply because it represented his largest exposure since coming back and that's still what the casual fan/average person relates NuGN'R to.

Old guns had far more horrible shows (often due to Slash's sloppy playing and Matt's boring drumming in the fast songs), but I suppose this section is for newGuns, so carry on.

i think back then, it gave them a more raw, sloppy rock n' roll appeal (apart from matt's 'boring' drumming, but that's a matter of opinion many would disagree with) - so people liked the various fuck-ups, whether technical or simply due to slash and co being drunk. axl's microphone quitting during ycbm at rio 2 and izzy taking over as axl flailed around stage pissed off screaming into his mic was epic rock n' roll.

by comparison, the newer gn'r is a tightly polished, sober, grand affair; which is fine, because they're not a bunch of 20-something young guys anymore and obviously are going to put on a more polished show, but that's why the stuff like weaker vocals or screw-ups during guitar solos stand out more -- it doesn't match the image, the vibe, or the atmosphere anymore.

Dublin '10 is some of the best Axl has ever sounded since the comeback, so I disagree with its inclusion. As for the rest of the list, even though Rio '11 sucked, I was way more disappointed by the one in '06 for some reason, and I think most fans would point to the '02 VMAs simply because it represented his largest exposure since coming back and that's still what the casual fan/average person relates NuGN'R to.

Old guns had far more horrible shows (often due to Slash's sloppy playing and Matt's boring drumming in the fast songs), but I suppose this section is for newGuns, so carry on.

i think back then, it gave them a more raw, sloppy rock n' roll appeal (apart from matt's 'boring' drumming, but that's a matter of opinion many would disagree with) - so people liked the various fuck-ups, whether technical or simply due to slash and co being drunk. axl's microphone quitting during ycbm at rio 2 and izzy taking over as axl flailed around stage pissed off screaming into his mic was epic rock n' roll.

by comparison, the newer gn'r is a tightly polished, sober, grand affair; which is fine, because they're not a bunch of 20-something young guys anymore and obviously are going to put on a more polished show, but that's why the stuff like weaker vocals or screw-ups during guitar solos stand out more -- it doesn't match the image, the vibe, or the atmosphere anymore.

Agreed on Dublin. Even if Axl was in a pissy mood, his vocals were ace.

Definitely Rock in Rio IV. Lisboa in '06 wasn't great in retrospect, but it was better than Rio IV. Rio IV had so much potential to be the best show yet. Just the thought of getting a pro-shot post-2010 was enough to get everyone salivating considering we hadn't had one since 2006. It was assumed Axl would sound as good as 2010 and once word got out about Estranged, people were going nuts in anticipation. Guns first time back in Rio in ten years too. Lots of things going for it and it turned out to be an all around disaster.

I have to give honerable mention to Detroit in 2002. I was at that show and Axl threw the mic up in the air during patience and just walked off stage and then the lights came on. It was just a really lackluster show the whole time, and that ending was just horriable. This show is one of the main reasons why I never truelly embraced that version of gnr.

What venue did they play at?

yeah,I agree,Rio IV is the worst performance I've seen

by any band.and I've seen shit through the years.

I respect your opinion, but jeez that's a little over the top aint it ??? worst ever by any band ?

Are you sure ???

hahahahah :rofl-lol: :rofl-lol:

Why is Rock in Rio III (2001) on that list? Seriously, it is in my opinion one of the most amazing Guns N' Roses concerts, old and new.

I agree... people shit on axl's voice but I thought it sounded great... way better than the majority of garggled with bleach show in the UYI tour

I respect your opinion, but jeez that's a little over the top aint it ??? worst ever by any band ?

Are you sure ???

What the heck is that? Is he high on helium or something?

Are you sure ???

What the heck is that? Is he high on helium or something?

It was the reading festival 2008, i was so, so fucked off. Really wanted to see KOL , i just walked off and caught train back to Slough after 30 mins of this. £89 down the drain.

Edited by bionic56