It's a Great Time to be a Guns N' Roses Fan

deepfreeze

Yes, I couldn't think of anything they could do to make it a better time to be a GNR fan. It's been 4 years of touring the world which means we all get to see them live often, and they might even start thinking about working on a new album in Vegas according to Bumblefoot.

It is a great time to be a Guns N' Roses fan.

The Vegas Shows are lined up. Axl's finally doing an on-air interview for the first time in 20 years. Isn't this the best time ever to be a Guns N' Roses fan?

I'm hip to that noise. I'm beside myself excited for my Vegas show on November 7th and I've got the DVR alllllll set for tomorrow night/morning.

Yes, I couldn't think of anything they could do to make it a better time to be a GNR fan.

Oh, Axl could sound like something other than a dying mongoose while performing on major webcasts perhaps? It's a fine time to be a GNR fan, but it could be better too.

Yes, I couldn't think of anything they could do to make it a better time to be a GNR fan. It's been 4 years of touring the world which means we all get to see them live often, and they might even start thinking about working on a new album in Vegas according to Bumblefoot.

It is a great time to be a Guns N' Roses fan.

What did Bumblefoot say?

I don't know why people can't talk objectively about GnR - and I'm talking from both sides of the extreme fan/hate side.

The weekend concert was another black eye on the new band's resume. Spin it however you want, drink Fernando and Axl's kool-aid. Axl screwed the pooch.

Doing the Kimmell show is cool - but it is a fluff piece. Not like he is doing a real interview.

The Vegas shows will be cool and a positive step IF new music is played. Otherwise, these shows hold no other special meaning than any other stops of a tour. They won't be special shows or life altering shows or some sign that Axl is The Man. There is nothing special about them other than being 12 shows in one city. People from both sides need to chill out about this. A Vegas residency doesn't mean they are a retirement lounge act now - nor does is mean Axl is doing something earth shattering that he should be worshipped for. It's just 12 more shows on a tour.

The only way these shows are any different is if GnR debuts some new music.

This is a good time to be a fan - I wouldn't call it the best time ever. Relatively speaking - for the new GnR - and not comparing it to other bands.....this is a good stretch.

No album since 2008

Band is touring

A late night talk show interview.

Cool to do an acoustic charity event - sucks that Axl was terrible (for whatever reason).

The Nutters need to stop acting like this is the greatest year in GnR history.

And the Haters need to stop acting like Axl has lost all his talent.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

I don't know why people can't talk objectively about GnR - and I'm talking from both sides of the extreme fan/hate side.

The weekend concert was another black eye on the new band's resume. Spin it however you want, drink Fernando and Axl's kool-aid. Axl screwed the pooch.

Doing the Kimmell show is cool - but it is a fluff piece. Not like he is doing a real interview.

The Vegas shows will be cool and a positive step IF new music is played. Otherwise, these shows hold no other special meaning than any other stops of a tour. They won't be special shows or life altering shows or some sign that Axl is The Man. There is nothing special about them other than being 12 shows in one city. People from both sides need to chill out about this. A Vegas residency doesn't mean they are a retirement lounge act now - nor does is mean Axl is doing something earth shattering that he should be worshipped for. It's just 12 more shows on a tour.

This is a good time to be a fan - I wouldn't call it the best time ever. Relatively speaking - for the new GnR - and not comparing it to other bands.....this is a good stretch.

No album since 2008

Band is touring

Cool to do an acoustic charity event - sucks that Axl was terrible (for whatever reason).

:thumbsup:

No album since 2008

Band is touring

um......what would be a real interview. i think a nationally televised interview on network TV qualifies.

No album since 2008

Band is touring

um......what would be a real interview. i think a nationally televised interview on network TV qualifies.

A real interview would be one where all GN'R relevant questions would be allowed?

Good post Groghan.

I like the fact that they are kinda promoting themselves currently. . .

However, no new music and Axl's current voice. . .

I wouldn't say it's a GREAT time to be a GnR fan.

2006, 2008 and 2010 were great times ( if you don't completely hate the idea of NuGnR ) but right now ?

Anyway, as long as both Fortus and BBF are in, so am I, so I enjoy the bumpy ride anyway.

The Vegas Shows are lined up. Axl's finally doing an on-air interview for the first time in 20 years. Isn't this the best time ever to be a Guns N' Roses fan?

It's far from the best time for me personally -- can anything beat hearing Appetite for Destruction for the first time as a young kid back in the 80s? -- but it is still pretty good :thumbsup:. Who would have thought that GN'R would still be touring the world in '12, giving 3 hr shows and still be releasing original material? Fucking awesome, really.

Guest RonMexico82

They haven't released original material in 4 years.

In 4 years, for example, The Doors released 5 studio albums. Almost their full catalogue.

NuGNR must be the most unproductive high profile band in history.

No album since 2008

Band is touring

great post!

In 4 years, for example, The Doors released 5 studio albums. Almost their full catalogue.

There will always be X number of years since an artist released their latest record. The fact that Gn'R DID release an album of original material only 4 years ago, is exactly what is so great. We also now they have unreleased material on hand and talk about releasing more original material in the future.

Comparing with band Y who were at a completely different stage in their career, is really meaningless. We will always be able to find more productive bands/artists. Compared to most other artists who debuted in 1987, GN'R is doing remarkably well. Most bands that old are not even existing today. So yes, we can always compare with bands during their productive, early phase and complain, but that is just putting a negative spin on a situation with is remarkable positive to us: GN'R is still active more than 25 years since they started, which is a rare thing.

Guest RonMexico82

There will always be X number of years since an artist released their latest record. The fact that Gn'R DID release an album of original material only 4 years ago, is exactly what is so great. We also now they have unreleased material on hand and talk about releasing more original material in the future.

Comparing with band Y who were at a completely different stage in their career, is really meaningless. We will always be able to find more productive bands/artists. Compared to most other artists who debuted in 1987, GN'R is doing remarkably well. Most bands that old are not even existing today. So yes, we can always compare with bands during their productive, early phase and complain, but that is just putting a negative spin on a situation with is remarkable positive to us: GN'R is still active more than 25 years since they started, which is a rare thing.

No I mentioned The Doors because their career was from 67-71 in total. I wouldn't call it a stage in their career. That was their career. In that time they released 6 studio albums and a double live album.

If you want to look at this band as GNR they have released 1 album of original material in 21 years.

If you want to look at this band as NuGNR and have their lifespan begin from 2000 then it is 1 album in 12 years.

Either way I can't think of a single other high profile band with such a spectacularly dismal output over a similar timeframe.

That isn't a negative spin either. That is just the facts.

No I mentioned The Doors because their career was from 67-71 in total. I wouldn't call it a stage in their career. That was their career. In that time they released 6 studio albums and a double live album.

During GN'R's first 6 first years they released 3 studio albums and 2-3 EPs. We are not talking about an order of magnitude difference here ;). But there is a huge difference in what happened next with these two bands: The Doors failed as a band and was disbanded (except for the occasional runion, live show), GN'R struggled on through adversity. The Door might not have come to the next stage simply because they broke up. They never got to be an old band because they died out when young. Yes, GN'R hasn't got a great productivity now compared to bands in earlier stages of their career (e.g. The Doors in the late 60s), and even compared to some bands of similar age, but GN'R's productivity is still A LOT HIGHER than most bands of the same age, because most bands of the same age have failed, just like The Doors.

So to summarize: GN'R is one of very few bands who are active more than 25 years after their debut, in fact, most bands that old has been disbanded ages ago. Not only are GN'R active in the touring department, which is easiest for old bands who don't have no creative spark anymore but do have a valuable back catalogue and lots of fans eager for a trip down nostalgia lane, but GN'R is also active in the production department, having released a record of original material only 4 years ago and having an expressed desire to release more in the future.

Edited by SoulMonster

1 album. Dismal for any artist.

ONLY when you choose to look at this out of context, e.g. not take into consideration that GN'R is more than 25 years old. For bands who debuted more than 25 years ago, simply existing is a plus, being active and productive is fantastic. But sure, if you are going to demand that GN'R is not only alive and active but also among the few most productive old bands out there, then you will continue to come across as a miseable, bitter curmudgeon who are ignorant to the fact of how lucky we actually are. Your choice.