Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Why was there never a conscious effort to promote the new band in the media?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

SoulMonster

SoulMonster

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,429 posts
  • 12-December 08
I believe Axl refused to do much promotion besides a few interviews, and it is hard to promote the whole band together if Axl doesn't want to. The rest of the band did lots of interviews, though. Things seemed to have changed now, Axl seems to have put whatever it was behind.

Taking things too seriously since 1988. -- I wonder how it is to be an agnostic, dyslexic insomniac, lying awake at night wondering if there really is a dog.

Guest_RonMexico82_*

Guest_RonMexico82_*
  • Guests
  • --
I think, most likely, management at the time took one look at Bucket and Finck and thought - "You must be joking."

SoulMonster

SoulMonster

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 7,429 posts
  • 12-December 08

I think, most likely, management at the time took one look at Bucket and Finck and thought - "You must be joking."

I am pretty certain that if Axl wanted to promote, and his manager didn't, he'd just fire the manager and promote anyway.

Taking things too seriously since 1988. -- I wonder how it is to be an agnostic, dyslexic insomniac, lying awake at night wondering if there really is a dog.

liers

liers

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,611 posts
  • 04-December 11
Axl did a few radio interviews in 2002. He also did the VMAs, which we all know went miserably wrong.
When you think about it, the new band is still pretty new. The buckethead lineup was only around 4 years, and only active 2. The finck/ron lineup was only around 2, and the current lineup has only been around 3 years. You have to realize, Old GnR did not really start MAJOR promotion until 1991.

The Glow Inc.

The Glow Inc.

OH MY GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,955 posts
  • 13-May 09

I would argue that to a lot of people the Guns n Roses brand as linked to the old band is still a very powerful marketing tool. It makes no difference to 99% of the people at the gigs who else is in the band so why publicise it and emphasise the fact that it's only Axl left from the original lineup? You can guarantee that a lot of the people at the shows just saw the Guns n' Roses name and bought tickets not thinking about who's still in the band so why shatter their illusions?

It's a valid answer and there probably is some truth to it but why do it now then ?

414751eomgnr.jpg
         Check this out and Join the Tribe

Dazey

Dazey

Redcoat Bastard!

• Supporters
  • 15,540 posts
  • 25-November 02

I would argue that to a lot of people the Guns n Roses brand as linked to the old band is still a very powerful marketing tool. It makes no difference to 99% of the people at the gigs who else is in the band so why publicise it and emphasise the fact that it's only Axl left from the original lineup? You can guarantee that a lot of the people at the shows just saw the Guns n' Roses name and bought tickets not thinking about who's still in the band so why shatter their illusions?

It's a valid answer and there probably is some truth to it but why do it now then ?

I don't think he really is doing it now even. I mean all he did last night was wave at Bumble and mention a bunch of names that most people have never heard of. If he was going for the full promotional thing he would have had the rest of the band sitting with him in the interview no?

HV's Current Shit-list: Black Sabbath, Broskirose, Skype Crew (except Graeme), Miser, wfse and Dazey. Especially Dazey...

dalsh327

dalsh327

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 10,426 posts
  • 12-December 08
I'm sure in the future, any promoting that'll go on, Axl will be more involved.

Kimmel was good at getting Axl relieved, even though there were a couple of questions you knew made Axl a bit uncomfortable, like who he's firing next. Chris might not be sure if his boss was serious or kidding.

AxlRose14

AxlRose14

DEMI-GOD

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,747 posts
  • 28-February 09

I'm sure in the future, any promoting that'll go on, Axl will be more involved.

Kimmel was good at getting Axl relieved, even though there were a couple of questions you knew made Axl a bit uncomfortable, like who he's firing next. Chris might not be sure if his boss was serious or kidding.

hahahaha. Nice try, I think we all knew Axl was kidding, read between the lines

jimb0

jimb0

GOD

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts
  • 04-April 05
Yeah, Pittman helped write If the World, Axl Loves that song!

fuck     been at work all day , could some one please Piss on Me ???

SweetRose

SweetRose

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts
  • 18-January 05

Axl did a few radio interviews in 2002. He also did the VMAs, which we all know went miserably wrong.
When you think about it, the new band is still pretty new. The buckethead lineup was only around 4 years, and only active 2. The finck/ron lineup was only around 2, and the current lineup has only been around 3 years. You have to realize, Old GnR did not really start MAJOR promotion until 1991.

The old band pretty much sold themselves.They did do interviews and stuff back when MTV actually had better programming/videos!

Plus we had videos,no better promotion than that.MTV and the like sucks now.

axlsignature12.jpg

LEARN to love with all your heart and ACCEPT the unlovable side of others.For anyone can love a rose,but it takes a GREAT HEART to include the THORNS.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users