Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The whole "rasp" thing....

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

ll_tj1

ll_tj1

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • 29-October 07
First off, I know what people are talking about, BUT.......how many singers do we have here??? And then of you, how any of you are in your 40's or 50's?? Do you sound like you did in 1989 now?? If you do you either you were never any good, or a completely and amazing well kept secret. Robert Plant didnt sound like Robert Plant only several years after the last Zeppelin record, some may say before Bonham died, and we've NEVER heard that voice again, same with Steven Tyler. These are the only two comparibale voices I can think of at the moment to compare to the signature sound of Axl Rose. Ozzy is an exeption (as far as a signature sound goes), but same goes for him, he never sounded the same after his last Sabbath record. At the very least, at least Axl can give us glimpses of that sound we are all here for, and have been infected with since the first day we heard it. I have been singing my whole life. Some like it, some dont, obviously not enough for me to go any where with it. But in 1988 I had no problem singing "My Michelle" like AR does on AFD. I'm not trying to say I sounded like him, or was as good as he was, I'm saying I could hit all the notes. And without much effort. I'm 42 now. I can't touch that song anymore, SCOM is very difficult at tis point. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if your a fan of Axl Rose, you cant compare his vocals from the 1987 recordings on AFD or the 1990 vocals on UYI. He will never sound sound as perfect ss he did on "Think About You" I don't think he ever sounded that good after AFD broke big. That vocal style is very difficult and very distructive. If you dont believe me, go in a room and try your best to sound like AR and sing AFD from front to back. Your throat will feel like its bleeding!! Wether or not we hear new music, hear different sets, blah, blah, blah, what fucking ever, I gotta say, NOBODY has done things this way, his way, the way he wants, when he wants, no comprimises. Am I alone in respecting that?? As crazy as it all seems it's pretty fucking amazing! Axl is the worlds last rock star. Plain and simple. And how cool was it that the one guy in his band that was supposidly wanting out was on the Kimmel show with him??? From where I was sitting BBF wanted to be no where but there with Axl! Stop expecting Axl to sound like a god. Stop expecting him to sound like he did in 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 02, 06, ect.......Except that he's 50 plus years old, and he still sound great and has moments that make you remember WHO HE STILL IS!!!

Crash Diet

Crash Diet

FRONTMAN

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,090 posts
  • 22-October 11

Stop expecting him to sound like he did in 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 02, 06, ect.......Except that he's 50 plus years old, and he still sound great and has moments that make you remember WHO HE STILL IS!!!

Okay

In this case, Axl should retire

Best post ever: Damn_Smooth about DJ Ashba

Damn_Smooth, on 20 Aug 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

I'm butthurt that that jackass lives in a house like that. I don't have any talent either, why don't I have a mansion?

James Bond

James Bond

• Members
  • 7,409 posts
  • 19-December 04
It's not that his voice has changed that's the problem. In 2010 which is generally considered to be his best year vocally in the past decade (as far as the forum goes), his tonality was quite different than it was in say 1988. A much deeper rasp that in was twenty years ago, but still filled with power. The main problem currently isn't the lack of rasp, it's the lack of power. Of course, singers are going to lose some of that range and power through aging, but that's when Axl either needs to prepare more or say "you know guys, this song is really hard for me nowadays. Can we change the key or tune down?" or something to that effect. In 2002 there was barely any rasp at all, but at shows like Boston Axl still sang good, albeit different. It's being winded and inconsistent more than his actual tonality and rasp that's the problem most seem to have with his current vocals. Generally it seems to be easier to describe it as "rasp" and "no rasp" rather than elaborate. It's not that I expect him to sound like he did in 1988, but I still expect him to sound good. I know Rio is a tired example, but at the show, he didn't sound good, and it wasn't just the lack of rasp.

5206.jpg

Toronto 2006 - Hamilton 2010 & 2011 - Buffalo 2013

ll_tj1

ll_tj1

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • 29-October 07

It's not that his voice has changed that's the problem. In 2010 which is generally considered to be his best year vocally in the past decade (as far as the forum goes), his tonality was quite different than it was in say 1988. A much deeper rasp that in was twenty years ago, but still filled with power. The main problem currently isn't the lack of rasp, it's the lack of power. Of course, singers are going to lose some of that range and power through aging, but that's when Axl either needs to prepare more or say "you know guys, this song is really hard for me nowadays. Can we change the key or tune down?" or something to that effect. In 2002 there was barely any rasp at all, but at shows like Boston Axl still sang good, albeit different. It's being winded and inconsistent more than his actual tonality and rasp that's the problem most seem to have with his current vocals. Generally it seems to be easier to describe it as "rasp" and "no rasp" rather than elaborate. It's not that I expect him to sound like he did in 1988, but I still expect him to sound good. I know Rio is a tired example, but at the show, he didn't sound good, and it wasn't just the lack of rasp.

Honestly, just try it bro.

Stop expecting him to sound like he did in 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 02, 06, ect.......Except that he's 50 plus years old, and he still sound great and has moments that make you remember WHO HE STILL IS!!!

Okay

In this case, Axl should retire

Or you should quit listining.

Guns n' Swedes

Guns n' Swedes

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts
  • 12-February 10
I'm Axl's biggest fan and I get what you're saying. BUT, I still think he does himself no favours with the extra weight he is carrying around. I'm a fan and I just want him to be as good as he can be. I'm not demanding it, just wishing :)

sascha

sascha

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts
  • 13-October 10
He doesn't struggle with rasp, he struggles with pitch. The problem could be solved by simply tuning down a whole step, just like Led Zeppelin did. Axl is baritone and most of the classic stuff in question is blues based anyway, so you can basically tune down into oblivion and it will still sound authentic, if not better given the possibilities you have with three gutars and two keys.

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • 12-December 08

Robert Plant didnt sound like Robert Plant only several years after the last Zeppelin record, some may say before Bonham died, and we've NEVER heard that voice again,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIpefL5rgNQ

James Bond

James Bond

• Members
  • 7,409 posts
  • 19-December 04

Honestly, just try it bro.

Try what, bro?

Axl sounded great when I saw them in 2011.

5206.jpg

izzydoezit

izzydoezit

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • 12-April 12

Robert Plant didnt sound like Robert Plant only several years after the last Zeppelin record, some may say before Bonham died, and we've NEVER heard that voice again,

11 years later. Much better than what you posted . The page and plant period was a really strange period for his voice.

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

Freddie Mercury's Ghost

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts
  • 12-December 08

https://www.youtube....h?v=DM-lpnXCCLs

11 years later. Much better than what you posted . The page and plant period was a really strange period for his voice.

No, the 2007 performance was downtuned. Listen to what I linked to again and the notes he goes for/hits. It's amazing, and Plant rarely would sing in that octave post-Zeppelin.

James Bond

James Bond

• Members
  • 7,409 posts
  • 19-December 04

He doesn't struggle with rasp, he struggles with pitch. The problem could be solved by simply tuning down a whole step, just like Led Zeppelin did. Axl is baritone and most of the classic stuff in question is blues based anyway, so you can basically tune down into oblivion and it will still sound authentic, if not better given the possibilities you have with three gutars and two keys.

Just noticed this post. I think you're probably right. It's that he can no longer hit certain notes while pushing out the heavy rasp like he did in 2010. I've always mentioned that I think he really hurt his voice after 2010 and decided a change was in order. Nowadays, he goes to the clean voice because it's probably easier to hit those notes that way. That's what I was saying though, the band should just tune down. Instead of playing in E-flat tuning play in D tuning. AC/DC tuned down on their last tour and Brian belted songs out like it was 1991.

5206.jpg

ironmt

ironmt

Senior

• SILVER Supporter
  • 605 posts
  • 04-June 05

Thank you for speaking the truth. The fact of the matter Is ,he Is losing some of his range and power, that Is not a negative comment that Is the truth and a fact. It gets disgusting hearing the same ridiculous excuses about him holding back and doing It Intentionally or having bronchitis or strep throat or him being depressed because his dog pumped the neighbors cat. His voice will never be what It once was, although I have to admit, 2010 was simply amazing and there were songs that he did(nice boys comes to mind)that were as good,If not better then when he was In his prime.
Damn_Smooth ( At the moment, I would say I am a bigger fan of MSL. He has provided me with much more entertainment over the last year than Guns has). Msl was also entertained when he used your chin as a place to rest his ball sack.

bran

bran

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 11,669 posts
  • 09-March 08
tuning down would help a great bit IMO

insomnium_zps2978907e.jpg

"We're nothing more than shadows

Glimmers of hope against the black sky"

maynard

maynard

GOD

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,698 posts
  • 03-April 05
his raspy voice is his trademark and listening to axl singing like mickey mouse is very sad.

izzydoezit

izzydoezit

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,049 posts
  • 12-April 12
yes but GNR music was already downtuned from the recording to begin with. You cannot tune the guitars much lower than that without sounding bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users