Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

The whole "rasp" thing....

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

tkarmy

tkarmy

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • 03-April 05
everything you said would make sense EXCEPT he sounded better than he has since 1988 in 2010.... I think Axl has had some health issues like chronic colds, bronchtis, strep throat, vocal nodes and general lack of proper practise.... any and all of which could signigicantly affect his ability to rasp well. To have a great rasp you have to be in great vocal shape...

NachoLZ

NachoLZ

The One Who Knocks

• SILVER
  • 1,878 posts
  • 26-January 12
the fact is that we are comparing it to 2010

LuanVictor

LuanVictor

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • 18-June 11

the fact is that we are comparing it to 2010

This.

"Complaints, complaints and complaints" - Beta Lebeis
5yrnh4.jpg

Naupis

Naupis

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • 03-April 05
If Axl took his craft seriously, and got in shape with a good vocal coach he would sound light years better than he does now.

You can tell he literally shows up at these first gigs and they are the first time singing the stuff since the last time he toured.

As you age you have to work harder at it, andhe clearly has zero desire to do that.

He is content to show up to the first shows of tours out of shape and unrehearsed, and sound like shit until he "plays his way into shape". It doesn't bother him that he is giving the fans of those first few shows a half assed performace.

What he does is like an athlete showing up to the first game of the season having not run a lap or thrown a ball since the last season. There is a reason they have a preseason, so you don't look like a mess when it counts.

In Axl's case the preseason would be rehearsing, getting in shape, and working with a vocal coach so the first show sounds roughly as good as the last. That however requires work you aren't getting paid for, and Axl would rather shit on fans for the first shows and get paid to work his way into shape.

We know he is terribly unprofessional so none of this is suprising, but his contempt for his fans is somewhat amazing considering the lengths some go to defend him.

If rehersal wasn't important the band themselves wouldn't bother with it, they do though because they know they would sound like shit otherwise.

It is no different for a singer, and we see that first hand when Axl shows up to a new tour unprepared like always.

Guest_RonMexico82_*

Guest_RonMexico82_*
  • Guests
  • --
That is it exactly.

AxlisOld

AxlisOld

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,173 posts
  • 08-May 05
I was going to give op shit like "who the fuck are you?" then I realized it was ll_tj, I can't really give him shit. The only thing I will say is that clearly in 2010 (2 short years ago) Axl did something that made him sound like his old self again. He still didn't have the mid range of his former self, and falsetto was obviously a much bigger part of his singing, but he had adapted to his new voice and clearly actually worked at it. Physically he looks more out of shape now than back then as well. I think the frustration is if he could do it such a short time ago, and can't do it now, it is for lack of preparation/dedication.

duffman.gifstormtrooper.gif
WARNING: Consumption of alcoholic beverages will MAKE YOU AWESOME

Naupis

Naupis

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  • 03-April 05

I think the frustration is if he could do it such a short time ago, and can't do it now, it is for lack of preparation/dedication.

I think the word you are looking for about why he can't do it now is lazyness.

liers

liers

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,821 posts
  • 04-December 11
I personally think that axl's new voice would be good, just not for the old songs. Look at the CD songs, the mickey mouse voice fits better than the rasp. And, listen to the checkmate leak, songs like that sound awesome with his newer vocal style.

Nosaj Thing

Nosaj Thing

最期の終止符

• SILVER
  • 15,891 posts
  • 28-January 11
tl;dr

Axl's current voice is shit.

Posted Image

Goddamn it! Fuckin' Game of Thrones, man.

Ana_1991

Ana_1991

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • 16-December 10
Check out AC/DC. He is old too!

Axl sounds like an old fart!

Edited by Ana_1991, 26 October 2012 - 07:19 AM.

You can't be ugly and play hard to get. It just doesn't work that way. You're already hard to want!.

Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut

SPACE TRAVELLER

• Members
  • 6,809 posts
  • 28-April 11
Current Axl's voice SUCKS. The lowest acceptable is his best moments from Live at the Forum 2011. 2012 has been awful and I expect more from Axl. I'm sure that if he worked hard he can pull off 2006 again. He's just a lazy ass.

Logo_zpsb06a0514.png

Bumble's Bridge Pickup

Bumble's Bridge Pickup

GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • 18-June 10

yes but GNR music was already downtuned from the recording to begin with. You cannot tune the guitars much lower than that without sounding bad.

Another half step down would not sound too different

Posted Image

dalsh327

dalsh327

FRONTMAN

• Members
  • 11,566 posts
  • 12-December 08
Past and present members put up with him because he does have a unique voice and an "it" factor that made them world famous.

Don Henley's got the rasp, but years ago he was blown away at how powerful Axl's voice was when they recorded together.

Janis is gone, but there IS someone who could sing like that - Tina Turner.

I don't know if Axl's losing the range and power, but 2-3 hour shows a night, and the time he puts into keeping his voice warmed up, he prob. should take better care of it.

David Lee Roth did credit weed and burgers for his rasp on the classic VH era in his "Crazy From the Heat" book though.

Lim666

Lim666

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 404 posts
  • 13-April 12
Axl just lost the power of his voice.
really sad as his strong rasp voice always was a significant factor for the GN'R sound. so actually he mostly is the weakest part in his own cover band right now musically/vocally.

jimb0

jimb0

GOD

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,607 posts
  • 04-April 05
Do you remember 2006 Axl was having trouble the first night at hammerstein in NYC. Then he worked with Bach's vocal coach and delivered some of the best vocal performances in the last decade?

He needs to do that again. Cuz he went from Mickey to Classic Axl :)

fuck     been at work all day , could some one please Piss on Me ???

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users