Was Axl's voice turning to "Mickey Mouse" in '93

Vincent Vega

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was "thinner" I guess. Moreso on the Sympathy track though...

Thinner is a good word. No doubt due to the hectic touring schedule. He was likely both tired and did a number on his voice.

I might be in the minority, but I thought Axl sounded pretty brutal in 1991. Sometimes it was awesome (like those early Perfect Crime performances) but other times it was all rasp and no control. 1992 his voiced evolved into a cleaner rasp (how's that for an oxymoron?) and then thinned out in 1993 as we see in these videos. Someone could make a great retrospective: The Many Voices of Axl Rose.

1993 was my favorite year in terms of Axl's vocals, 1992 had some killer shows too.

I kind of wish they had kicked off the tour when they did Farm Aid, that civil war is probably one of the best live versions when it comes to Axl's vocals imo, he knocked it out of the park there.

What? You're out of your mind. Axl sounds KILLER in those songs. Compared to some shows in 1991, yes he sounds more relaxed and his voice was "thinner" as other member said, but no, his voice is perfect in Argentina 1993.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ayd1V_N9qM

Please compare this performance of 'You're Crazy' with the current performances and laugh your ass off. This is the Axl Rose I love.

Axl is a belter, which is why his voice changed over time. There are obvious differences from 80s - 90s- to now. There was an interview somewhere about how he got vocal coaching in during a European leg of the UYI tour cause he was blowing his voice out every night.

My guess is, he can still enforce the rasp, but someone has told him, or he has realized, if he keeps doing it, he will not be able to sing. Listen to Robert Plant... same thing. He basically had 3 good years with his higher octaves, now he can't get anywhere near them

I really didn't like the 93 voice much. It sounds like the sound of his voice is coming out through a pipe.

I honestly think that he had a better live-voice in 2010 compared to 91,92 and 93. There was appearances in 92 in which he sounded absolutely awesome, however.

The jungle performances he's done between 2006 and 2012 are the best since 87, I think.

Was Axl's voice already starting to become Mickey Mouse-ish in '93?

His voice sounds like it lacks a lot of the rasp and power it had just a year before in '92.

What are you hearing, brother? His voice sounds pretty good. I don't hear any so-called "Mickey Mouse."

What? You're out of your mind. Axl sounds KILLER in those songs. Compared to some shows in 1991, yes he sounds more relaxed and his voice was "thinner" as other member said, but no, his voice is perfect in Argentina 1993.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ayd1V_N9qM

Please compare this performance of 'You're Crazy' with the current performances and laugh your ass off. This is the Axl Rose I love.

Yes!

1993 was the best, 1991 was unstable like bad vocals in indiana, when rio was great.

AFD era was very cool, his voice was like young rock singer, like in your face.

UYI recording take me to the 1991 unstable voice, with Successful vocals like Get in the ring. was bad vocal recording like Breakdown.

But the bottom line I like the UYI vocals cuz its different from AFD, he was more full of anger.