Was Axl's voice turning to "Mickey Mouse" in '93

Vincent Vega

I think the performance with Springsteen at the HOF was a pretty good indication of where his voice was going. Yes, there was rasp, but sounded very forced, very thin, and weak. But the Ustream shows of this year are dramatically worse than the 2002 "Mickey Mouse" voice. Really, go listen to those shows and then the 2002 shows and you can hear a major difference in Axl's power and breathing. And fullness of voice. Those streamed shows this year are truly some of the worst performances he's ever had. Which is weird because even at the end of 2011, he was powerful and strong even with more clean to rasp vocals.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with 91-92 was he was over working his voice. 93 it seems like he started to take it easy and not be as hard on it, probably why he was more consistent in 93 than in 91-92. I also think that he is easier on his voice now, and refrains from using the rasp, thus why he is more consistent on a night to night basis.

All singers voices change with age.

But of course on this board, people look for any opportunity to shout "mickey mouse" like a monkey.

People who know about music would discuss his vocal changes in terms of pitch, range, and timbre. But no, in this thread, we get "mickey mouse" in the thread title because this was intended to be a serious discussion. :jerkoff:

I really didn't like the 93 voice much. It sounds like the sound of his voice is coming out through a pipe.

I honestly think that he had a better live-voice in 2010 compared to 91,92 and 93. There was appearances in 92 in which he sounded absolutely awesome, however.

The jungle performances he's done between 2006 and 2012 are the best since 87, I think.

So you don't like this:

I really didn't like the 93 voice much. It sounds like the sound of his voice is coming out through a pipe.

I honestly think that he had a better live-voice in 2010 compared to 91,92 and 93. There was appearances in 92 in which he sounded absolutely awesome, however.

The jungle performances he's done between 2006 and 2012 are the best since 87, I think.

So you don't like this:

hard to argue with that!

dont put videos of 93,becuase i remember how bad Axl sound nowadays.Fuck! where do you see mickey mouse in that videos

We learn from what people post, what TV channels they watch.

To compare person A, to person B, you need to have lived a little. Comparing anyone to Mickey Mouse is just infantile

dont put videos of 93,becuase i remember how bad Axl sound nowadays.Fuck! where do you see mickey mouse in that videos

To compare person A, to person B, you need to have lived a little. Comparing anyone to Mickey Mouse is just infantile

So true. Mickey mouse.....what a joke. I would never listen to a singer whose voice i disdained. Anybody who says that is here for all the wrong reasons and it has very little to do with a love for Axl.

So true. Mickey mouse.....what a joke. I would never listen to a singer whose voice i disdained. Anybody who says that is here for all the wrong reasons and it has very little to do with a love for Axl.

I love Axl voice from 90s, i love axl voice from 2006-2010 i dont like axl voice from 2001-2002 and from 2011-????.I born in 78 so.........

Axl's voice didn't "turn" into Mickey Mouse - he started using falsetto to hit the notes he used to hit with his "head voice", then eventually started to use it for the notes he used to hit with his chest voice as well. He changed the way he sings completely.... added more rasp (kind of like a screech) to that falsetto with time. If you don't believe me, try it yourself, it's easiest to get that screech rasp on the REALLY high notes when you're pushing out the most air - impossible when you're singing lower notes.

This is something I believe he's done because he damaged his vocal chords on the Illusion tours... nobody can sing like he did in 1993 and get away with it.

Axl's voice didn't "turn" into Mickey Mouse - he started using falsetto to hit the notes he used to hit with his "head voice", then eventually started to use it for the notes he used to hit with his chest voice as well. He changed the way he sings completely.... added more rasp (kind of like a screech) to that falsetto with time. If you don't believe me, try it yourself, it's easiest to get that screech rasp on the REALLY high notes when you're pushing out the most air - impossible when you're singing lower notes.

This is something I believe he's done because he damaged his vocal chords on the Illusion tours... nobody can sing like he did in 1993 and get away with it.

Someone who understands. :wub: