Welcome to mygnrforum.com Guns N' Roses Forum
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Was Axl's voice turning to "Mickey Mouse" in '93

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

WilliamBruceRoseJr

WilliamBruceRoseJr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 81 posts
  • 20-January 12
I think that his continue struggling with his voice has a lot to do with being almost a decade without touring. He lost something, he struggles 'cause he doesn't rehearse at all, so he becomes irregular. From 2001 till now there's a whole different Axl in terms of singing. There have been ups and downs.

OnkelSivert

OnkelSivert

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • 09-October 12
rasp

Alpachiris

Alpachiris

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • 17-July 06
1993 best voice ever-
民主

Black Sabbath

Black Sabbath

MYGNR Town Sheriff

• MOD SQUAD
  • 30,013 posts
  • 10-July 07

Axl's voice didn't "turn" into Mickey Mouse - he started using falsetto to hit the notes he used to hit with his "head voice", then eventually started to use it for the notes he used to hit with his chest voice as well. He changed the way he sings completely.... added more rasp (kind of like a screech) to that falsetto with time. If you don't believe me, try it yourself, it's easiest to get that screech rasp on the REALLY high notes when you're pushing out the most air - impossible when you're singing lower notes.

This is something I believe he's done because he damaged his vocal chords on the Illusion tours... nobody can sing like he did in 1993 and get away with it.

Someone who understands. :wub:

ot262o.png

MYGNRFORUM Store

"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothin'." - Robin Williams

GN'R Forever

GN'R Forever

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • 07-November 08
He was best in the '80s. It was like the perfect combination of harmony, power, and rasp.

SIGNATURE AND EDITED: PLEASE CHECK SIGNATURE GUIDELINES:
http://www.mygnrforu...?showtopic=9592

AVATAR EDITED: PLEASE CHECK AVATAR GUIDELINES

Randy Lahey

Randy Lahey

FRONTMAN

• Returned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,646 posts
  • 29-June 06
I just want his 2010 voice back.
Posted Image
Welcome To The Jungle of Smooth Flamenco Beatz
Dre Day will make Axl's payday.

Jordan Rose

Jordan Rose

Senior

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 778 posts
  • 04-March 08

I just want his 2010 voice back.

For whatever reason in 2006, and even moreso in 2010, he went out of his way to try and sing and sound the way he did generally in 86-93, more than likely to appease the massive criticism of his singing in 2002. The fact that he went so far back the other way (falsetto) starting in 2011 suggests that he took advice that he really shouldn't sing that way anymore if he wants to preserve what he has left.

It's so screamingly obvious that the way he sings is a choice on his part. Some of the people who repeatedly post nonsense theories about his voice really should try reading the whole thread. Because then when you get to a post like Highvoltage's that spells out very clearly the ways in which Axl has changed his singing style and why, you can amend your erroneous assumptions and stop posting drivel.

Although some here would likely put me in the 'voice police' camp and say i'm just here to run Axl down for fun: that's horse shit. I commend him for taking steps to preserve his voice. My issues with his singing are:

1. He can sing fantastic, powerful falsetto that suits both the old and new songs (see Madagascar Cleveland soundboard 2002, LALD Pittsburgh soundboard 2002, various 2002 Nightrains etc). But when he's on live telly in front of the world and on streams that will haunt youtube forever, he comes out massively unprepared and sounds awful.

2. Back in 2010 when he worked hard to achieve a complete vocal resurrection he didn't bring out the hard-to-sing songs to get them down for posterity or make the point of filming a few of the shows. Listen to Arnhem 2010: the most effortless performance of Better i've ever heard. He actually sings it the way he does on the record, instead of gasping it out between breaths. YCBM is probably the best since 1993. He was on fire. So why not have another go at Prostitute, Twat and Catcher which he'd put away after the early 2009 shows because they were a nightmare for him to sing? By mid-2010 he could have absolutely nailed them all. And playing them regularly the band could have really gotten them down. In reality we'll likely never ever get a great version of any of those live.
I have lived and breathed Axl Rose's 'new' music every single week of my life since I got a bootleg of Rio 3 in January 2001. That is why I reserve the right in 2012 to be utterly pessimistic, butt-hurt, whiney, disillusioned, disappointed and down-right fucked off. "Basically, to me, it was because I am watching this guy and I don't understand it. I don't get it. I wanted the world to love and respect him. I just watched him throw it away.''Axl on Slash, 2000. Irony.

Brunzopolis

Brunzopolis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 49 posts
  • 05-October 11

Axl's voice didn't "turn" into Mickey Mouse - he started using falsetto to hit the notes he used to hit with his "head voice", then eventually started to use it for the notes he used to hit with his chest voice as well. He changed the way he sings completely.... added more rasp (kind of like a screech) to that falsetto with time. If you don't believe me, try it yourself, it's easiest to get that screech rasp on the REALLY high notes when you're pushing out the most air - impossible when you're singing lower notes.

This is something I believe he's done because he damaged his vocal chords on the Illusion tours... nobody can sing like he did in 1993 and get away with it.

You really sound like you know what you're talking about. Thanks for writing that out.

t-p-d-a

t-p-d-a

Full

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • 15-August 11
Axl was always a Micky Mouse Fan

even in 1987:

Posted Image

kdb8-4-a87f.gif

Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke

DEMI-GOD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • 02-November 12
I think his voice was ok at that time, maybe he sounded a bit "tired", but it was good.

'That Homer Simpson looking motherfucker'. 

Crash Diet

Crash Diet

FRONTMAN

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,177 posts
  • 22-October 11

Was Axl's voice already starting to become Mickey Mouse-ish in '93?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y1L8bv7ImM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DePfcpMA0aw

His voice sounds like it lacks a lot of the rasp and power it had just a year before in '92.

yeah, we already know your 1993 Mickey theory
But this is bullshit

He started sounding Mickey at 2001, imo
Even the 1999 demos his high pitched voice sounds good, imo

edit: oops, i forgot the HR days when he sounds like absolutely a MM (1984)

Edited by Crash Diet, 03 November 2012 - 12:02 PM.

Best post ever: Damn_Smooth about DJ Ashba

Damn_Smooth, on 20 Aug 2014 - 11:36 PM, said:

I'm butthurt that that jackass lives in a house like that. I don't have any talent either, why don't I have a mansion?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users